College Sports Madness Top 144 Countdown 2022-23

The annual top 144 countdown started a few weeks ago and thought I would start a new thread for it as there was the first A-10 team that checked in.  U Mass at #137 and are projected to be 9th in the A-10.  I know they've had a lot of hype this summer with the addition of Martin and transfers so hoping they can outperform this ranking.  

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fernandes and Weeks are a good start in the backcourt with an unknown presence in Diggins from Uconn.  Cross will likely be one of the forwards.  Leveque, Thompson and Woodley all essentially play the same position with Thompson maybe being a stretch four more than a five although all four transfers are listed a power forwards.  Maretin will have a decent time trying to piece together a cohesive lineup here in the long run.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Wow.  SIU-E comes in at #134.  Did I miss that they have something going this year?

All I know is they're projected to win their league. 

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Over Belmont and Murray State?  Good for them.

wrong conference. Belmont and Murray are in the MVC, SIU -E is in a different conference that I cant think the name of.

Just now, wgstl said:

wrong conference. Belmont and Murray are in the MVC, SIU -E is in a different conference that I cant think the name of.

SIUE is in the Ohio Valley, along with SEMO and now Lindenwood. Only historically decent program remaining is Morehead State, so there's definitely an opportunity for them to have a legitimate shot at the top spot. 

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Wow.  SIU-E comes in at #134.  Did I miss that they have something going this year?

FWIW T-Rank has SIUE at #219 overall.  1st in the OVC just slightly better than Morehead State, but still pretty bad overall.

To be honest, I liked it a lot more when Murray St & Belmont were in the OVC and SIUE had no realistic shot at ever securing the OVC auto-bid.  I don't like the potential scenario of SLU being worlds better than SIUE, but failing to make the postseason and SIUE making headlines by getting into the NCAA tournament as an auto-bid.

cheeseman likes this

44 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Oh snap, I thought they were in a difference conference with random schools from like the Dakotas

That would be Western Illinois, which is in the Summit League.

Conference changes have become very hard to keep up with. The standings this season were dramatically different than the year before, and they will be even more significantly different this coming season - with more to come in 2-3 years.

The OVC shown in the link will be completely overhauled. Belmont (MVC), Murray State (MVC), and Austin Peay (ASUN) are out. Lindenwood and Southern Indiana, both coming up from lower divisions, are in. Little Rock (Sun Belt) is also joining. It's a shame to see it break up. I liked this league with Belmont and Murray State always being good at the top, Morehead State being competitive, and a fourth team like Austin Peay sometimes playing spoiler.

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who plays a low-major team home and home?

We have.  Doesn’t have to be one for one.  Maybe two for one.  But it’s hard to gripe about power 5 teams not giving us a home and home and then do the same.  

49 minutes ago, Slowry said:

We have.  Doesn’t have to be one for one.  Maybe two for one.  But it’s hard to gripe about power 5 teams not giving us a home and home and then do the same.  

We play home at home with MVC teams all the time.  Volunteering to play home and home with against a perennial Quad 4 team would be charity, not business.

Give SIUE time to actually build up their program.  Maybe one day it will make good business sense.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, RUBillsFan said:

FWIW T-Rank has SIUE at #219 overall.  1st in the OVC just slightly better than Morehead State, but still pretty bad overall.

To be honest, I liked it a lot more when Murray St & Belmont were in the OVC and SIUE had no realistic shot at ever securing the OVC auto-bid.  I don't like the potential scenario of SLU being worlds better than SIUE, but failing to make the postseason and SIUE making headlines by getting into the NCAA tournament as an auto-bid.

You sound like a Mizzou fan. Scared of competition. 

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Alabama transfer not listed, but these articles are written early and not updated. Miller has 5 freshmen on the roster which is a large number for the upcoming season. He is likely playing the ‘long game’ of being  competitive this season but looking more at one or two year down the road. 

• 3 weeks later...