The $400,000 Question

Taj79

Down in the current "McKillop retiring" thread, DOC suggests CTF take a $400k paycut and free such money up to NIL/pay our players in terms of competing in the larger landscape of college basketball.  So I got to thinking ..... what if you had $400,000 this year and last year , to distribute and reward our roster as NIL payments.  How would you pay it out?

2022-23:  Collins, Perkins, Okoro, Pickett, Jimerson, Thatch, Parker, Kramer, Hughes (does he count/qualify?), Thames, Forrester, Cisse and Hargrove.

2021-22:  Collins, Perkins (injured reserve?) Okoro, Linnsen, Jimerson, Hargrove, Thatch, Strickland, Jones, Lorentsson, Traore, Nesbitt, Courtney and WIlliams.

Some questions outside of the two noted above on Hughes and Perkins:  Nesbitt was a four-star recruit.  More for him?  Rationale would be interesting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Down in the current "McKillop retiring" thread, DOC suggests CTF take a $400k paycut and free such money up to NIL/pay our players in terms of competing in the larger landscape of college basketball.  So I got to thinking ..... what if you had $400,000 this year and last year , to distribute and reward our roster as NIL payments.  How would you pay it out?

2022-23:  Collins, Perkins, Okoro, Pickett, Jimerson, Thatch, Parker, Kramer, Hughes (does he count/qualify?), Thames, Forrester, Cisse and Hargrove.

2021-22:  Collins, Perkins (injured reserve?) Okoro, Linnsen, Jimerson, Hargrove, Thatch, Strickland, Jones, Lorentsson, Traore, Nesbitt, Courtney and WIlliams.

Some questions outside of the two noted above on Hughes and Perkins:  Nesbitt was a four-star recruit.  More for him?  Rationale would be interesting.

Last year, I would have paid Jordan Goodwin $200k to come back for a final year.

Compton and NextYearBill like this

@wgstlinteresting thought .... roster bonus for extra years.  I think back to Justin Johnson who was on the roster five years and never got off the bench.  Or Bryce Husak.  The performance bonus is also good but how do you equate that to high school kids playing lesser levels of competition in terms of recruiting them?  Again, Nesbitt was a four star who thought he was good enough for Memphis, didn't cut it, came home, and is now at low-level Hampton.  Where )I think) he might light it up.

This is just a gut feeling, nothing factual about this, just a feeling: Quoting Taj: "how do you equate that to high school kids playing lesser levels of competition in terms of recruiting them?" My real answer is that I do not know but have this feeling that whoever solves the issue of what to do with the high school talent trying hard to get in at lower levels of competition, will develop a real edge and ultimately may come ahead of others. If nothing else whoever does this will save a ton of money from going into NILs that could be used for other purposes, like better coach salaries.

I know this is flipping everybody's thoughts about the direction of change with NILs but reality does not follow reason or logic, weird things do happen.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@wgstlinteresting thought .... roster bonus for extra years.  I think back to Justin Johnson who was on the roster five years and never got off the bench.  Or Bryce Husak.  The performance bonus is also good but how do you equate that to high school kids playing lesser levels of competition in terms of recruiting them?  Again, Nesbitt was a four star who thought he was good enough for Memphis, didn't cut it, came home, and is now at low-level Hampton.  Where )I think) he might light it up.

If coach wants you there, and you never play,  you'll get a piece. If coach didn't want you there, you'll get recruited over and possibly lose your scholarship. 

You can't just take $400,000 from the athletics budget to give to players. That is against the rules. 

I suppose you could redirect donors but no athletic department in the country is going to want to give up control like that. 

There is a good way to do a roster/graduation bonus if you think of it like a vested 401k plan. 

You can pay each player a specific amount before the season. But then you can "bonus" players at the end of the year for appearances to celebrate their good work. 

@JMM28:  I know it’s illegal but I’m ignoring that in this context.  This context is not real.  I am curious how the hypothetical would work and am asking.

Kids likely want money now, not down the road.  NIL was to give kids a route to some money now.  I doubt anyone would wait. Pay me now or I’m gone.  

I do like the grad bonus idea, just like the annual re-up by wgstl.  They are ideas but not so much in the here and now.

34 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

You can't just take $400,000 from the athletics budget to give to players. That is against the rules. 

I suppose you could redirect donors but no athletic department in the country is going to want to give up control like that. 

There is a good way to do a roster/graduation bonus if you think of it like a vested 401k plan. 

You can pay each player a specific amount before the season. But then you can "bonus" players at the end of the year for appearances to celebrate their good work. 

Ford’s pay doesn’t come from the athletic budget. 

18 minutes ago, DOC said:

Ford’s pay doesn’t come from the athletic budget. 

He receives a checks from SLU operating accounts, in whatever pay series they pay, totaling 2.4 million. 

https://docs.candid.org/990/430/430654872/430654872_2020_202101349349304345_990.pdf?_gl=1*hf9rje*_ga*ODM1NzU1ODI5LjE2NTU5MTc3ODQ.*_ga_5W8PXYYGBX*MTY1NTkxNzc4NC4xLjEuMTY1NTkxNzg1NS42MA..&_ga=2.18910202.338457507.1655917785-835755829.1655917784

I think DOC is trying to say that big $ donors give to the University specifically to pay Ford's salary.  It IS included in the AD budget since the AD technically pays him, but it is not like they could decide to fire him & hire a new coach for less and wind up with a budget surplus to allocate elsewhere.  Those donations are restricted to paying the MBB coach's salary.

rgbilliken and DOC like this

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think DOC is trying to say that big $ donors give to the University specifically to pay Ford's salary.  It IS included in the AD budget since the AD technically pays him, but it is not like they could decide to fire him & hire a new coach for less and wind up with a budget surplus to allocate elsewhere.  Those donations are restricted to paying the MBB coach's salary.

Why do you think a big $ donor is paying his salary thru a restricted donation? I am not saying this is impossible but by the way he was hired I think unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Why do you think a big $ donor is paying his salary thru a restricted donation? I am not saying this is impossible but by the way he was hired I think unlikely. 

I really have no idea, but hasn't it been a rumor since the Majerus days that donors pay the HC salary?

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Nope.  Still spring until there is an MVC or Blake Ahern life update thread.

Wrong, spring is a specific quarter of the rotation of the Earth in its orbit. Spring starts at the spring equinox (March 21st) and ends at the summer solstice (June 21st).

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Wrong, spring is a specific quarter of the rotation of the Earth in its orbit. Spring starts at the spring equinox (March 21st) and ends at the summer solstice (June 21st).

This is why I keep coming back.

I'll play, but I have it at 800k for total NIL money the first year. Ford can't have all the skin in the game so the boosters agree to 400k more, if Ford gives his 400k. Keep in mind he gets it back and then some if we obtain agreed upon success. I'm going with the assumption Yuri was on the market for 200k, so hopefully, I get a home team discount and get him for 150k. Perkins gets 150k for obvious reasons. Then I give Thatch, Jimerson and Okoro 100k and Hargrove gets 50k. Then I split the rest among all rostered players. And at this point I also ask Tate for 100k. He said his ability as a recruiter will be much less impactful as a result of NIL. I would have given that to Smith or someone like him.

Interesting.  Thanks DOC.  So that's 20k for Cisse, Hughes, Jr., Thames, Kramer, Forrester and Pickett?  Interesting.  What would you have doled out for Nesbitt, assuming you'd give the same cut to Strickland and Lorentsson and WIlliams?  How about Linssen?

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting.  Thanks DOC.  So that's 20k for Cisse, Hughes, Jr., Thames, Kramer, Forrester and Pickett?  Interesting.  What would you have doled out for Nesbitt, assuming you'd give the same cut to Strickland and Lorentsson and WIlliams?  How about Linssen?

Nesbitt was *rumored* to have been asked to move on by Ford.  If that was the case, why would we need to keep including him in this.   And even then, Nesbitt has played for 2 schools in as many months, I just don't see the point in needing to include him in this. 

800k would be more than most Big10 teams have right now. If boosters could come up with that, I'd hold it and recruit better players with it. No need to pay guys 6-13 on the roster much of anything. They're already here.