McKillop retiring

dlarry

3 hours ago, Compton said:

Huh? Are you saying he's making enough to retire comfortably or not enough to incentivize him to keep working? Unlikely it's the latter given his general passion for the game.

McKillop was a New York tough guy who became a kinder, more patient person in his decades at Davidson.  He got the opportunity to coach his sons.  He got the opportunity to coach a future Hall-of-Famer.  He lives across the street from campus.  And now he gets to hand over his mini-Camelot to his son.  It really has been a wonderful life.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

McKillop was a New York tough guy who became a kinder, more patient person in his decades at Davidson.  He got the opportunity to coach his sons.  He got the opportunity to coach a future Hall-of-Famer.  He lives across the street from campus.  And now he gets to hand over his mini-Camelot to his son.  It really has been a wonderful life.

I honestly don't think there is a time that makes more sense than right now. 

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

McKillop was kind of a legend on Long Island when he coached at Long Island Lutheran and Holy Trinity. At Holy Trinity he coached Matt Doherty.

Agree with all of the above, he has worked for a long time at Davidson. I assume, I'm not certain, that he has a decent academic pension and that having made $400,000 a year in salary he will get a full weight Social Securty payment. That is enough to live with and leave a nice amount to the kids (from his 401k or similar academic plan) when death comes. He has lived a full life and most likely has developed an attachment to  Davidson and the area he lives in. He should be a happy man watching his son lead his team and giving him advice. From the point of view of Davidson, this is perfect, they will not have to pay a lot more to his son to be HC, and he will be around to provide advice. All is well that ends well. Let the son deal with the NILs.

McKillop had to go.  Eventually, we all.  He was lucky enough to have a less than normal stressful college position and has been able to leave behind a legendary legacy as well as having his son take over.  Camelot, if you can get it.

Will this negatively affect the A10?  If it does, does hiring Dunphy at La Salle put some plus into the league over Ashley Howard?  Hiring Frank Martin and Archie Miller has to plus the league up over Matt McCall and David Cox as well.  We'll have to wait and see on the hires at Fordham and Geedubya.  Kyle Neptune looked promising in his one year.  Mason, Richmond and VCU seem in good hands.  Question marks exist at St. Joe's, Duquesne and Bonaventure.  Matt McKillop is not starting from square one.

MusicCityBilliken and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the IRS Form 990 he was making just under a $ million.

salaries.jpg

Income (compensation) and total compensation are two different things. Income is salary subject to witholdings and deductions, total compensation includes things like 401k matchups, awards, options executed during the year, paid time off, and other items. There is no doubt McKillop was getting a significant amount of money. You can tell how much of the total comp is salary by comparing the comp and total comp figures. Ford has a very small difference between his comp and total comp figures, McKillop has a bout 30% greater total comp compared to the comp figure. I do not understand the numbers Gianini (LaSalle) reported for 2020.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the IRS Form 990 he was making just under a $ million.

salaries.jpg

Would it be out of question for the boosters who pay Ford's salary to work out a deal with him? He's overpaid, and for us to stay competitive he takes a $400k paycut, but he's in charge of where the money goes . He's still the highest paid coach in the league at $2 million. If we win, he gets bonus money that would get the 400k back. If he doesn't buy in then we have $2 million to offer a new coach who gets 400k to spend on players. You can knit pick the idea, but can anyone else see this happening? I mean Ford is filthy rich and if he want's to make this his last stop or take one last shot at the big time then putting some skin in the game makes sense to me. Add to that some boosters have already jumped on board with the NIL scam. I think that would give us enough cash to be very successful in the A-10.

BilliesBy40 likes this

I believe Ford has a contract with SLU for a set amount of time. Such contracts cannot be changed without mutual agreement between the signing parties. If the boosters want Ford to be their employee and not SLU's employee then you would need a 3 way agreement between boosters, SLU, and Ford. This is at its best a dream, at its worst a nightmare.

11 hours ago, DOC said:

Would it be out of question for the boosters who pay Ford's salary to work out a deal with him? He's overpaid, and for us to stay competitive he takes a $400k paycut, but he's in charge of where the money goes . He's still the highest paid coach in the league at $2 million. If we win, he gets bonus money that would get the 400k back. If he doesn't buy in then we have $2 million to offer a new coach who gets 400k to spend on players. You can knit pick the idea, but can anyone else see this happening? I mean Ford is filthy rich and if he want's to make this his last stop or take one last shot at the big time then putting some skin in the game makes sense to me. Add to that some boosters have already jumped on board with the NIL scam. I think that would give us enough cash to be very successful in the A-10.

"Will you take a 19% pay cut so that we can perform better?" is an offer I think very few employees would accept.

billiken_roy and stmdragons like this

11 hours ago, DOC said:

i wouldnt do this if i was ford.   he has worked long and hard to get where he is and why should he give up where he has gotten?   what other coach have you heard is taking such a huge paycut so the university they work for or a group of wealthy boosters dont have to pay more money to have a better basketball team?   

Well NIL is like 3 months old and Ford has underachieved in relation to his pay so this is a unique situation. Not sure history would be a good barometer here.  I see it as an investment from Fords point of view. Performance bonus would keep his pay the same or pay him even more if we have big time success. Now he has another 400k to recruit with. Plenty of over paid coach’s and athletes have taken pay cuts over their career.  We have 2 new coach’s taking healthy pay cuts in the A-10. They seem happy. And again if he doesn’t like it we have $2 million and a lot of NIL money for a new coach. 

DOC you do not seem to understand that a contract can only be modified by  mutual agreement of all parties. I agree with Roy that Ford would have no desire to agree to this modification, and SLU is not about to go look for a new coach in June.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Well NIL is like 3 months old and Ford has underachieved in relation to his pay so this is a unique situation. Not sure history would be a good barometer here.  I see it as an investment from Fords point of view. Performance bonus would keep his pay the same or pay him even more if we have big time success. Now he has another 400k to recruit with. Plenty of over paid coach’s and athletes have taken pay cuts over their career.  We have 2 new coach’s taking healthy pay cuts in the A-10. They seem happy. And again if he doesn’t like it we have $2 million and a lot of NIL money for a new coach. 

by what measure has ford "underachieved"?   

the only departing players I (or probably any of us) would have thought would have been of value ended up going to hampton and a junior college.   so we didnt apparently lose much due to nil.   as to what might have been, anyone we would have gotten had to be better than our newbies, personally i have high regard for our new incoming players.   so not following "underachieved".   help me out.  

1 hour ago, DOC said:

We have 2 new coach’s taking healthy pay cuts in the A-10. They seem happy.

Going from being fired and unemployed to making $1.7m and $1.9m is not a "pay cut." Also, I question how "happy" they were to have their income drop by nearly 50% (although Miller's buyout was outsized).

Actual pay cuts among college basketball coaches are pretty rare, especially for a coach that has consistently (5 years running) finished in the top half of their conference. Maybe NIL is a new reality that will have coaches handing their salaries to players. But I don't see that happening. If boosters want 400K to go toward NIL it seems more likely that they will come up with it than try to claw it back from Ford while renegotiating a more incentive-laiden contract.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

I get by the numbers where you are coming from however coach Ford has ran into so tough luck.

If Perkins is healthy I believe the Billikens win a least 4 more games last season.  I thought the coach did a good job without Perkins last season.

The COVID season where the team who beat LSU is shut down for over a month.

2019/2020 the team finished the season with 5 straight conference wins and played like a well oiled machine and then COVID ends the season.

Ford imo overachieves in recruiting and hopefully this season will be the season of good luck.

I like that coach Ford has the team in the running for a post season bid every year now and has managed to put together consecutive winning seasons.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I get by the numbers where you are coming from however coach Ford has ran into so tough luck.

If Perkins is healthy I believe the Billikens win a least 4 more games last season.  I thought the coach did a good job without Perkins last season.

The COVID season where the team who beat LSU is shut down for over a month.

2019/2020 the team finished the season with 5 straight conference wins and played like a well oiled machine and then COVID ends the season.

Ford imo overachieves in recruiting and hopefully this season will be the season of good luck.

I like that coach Ford has the team in the running for a post season bid every year now and has managed to put together consecutive winning seasons.

I agree 100%.  My take was in only comparing pay vs outcomes. just some out of the box thinking. Ford has had it tough and deserves to see it thru. I believe we’re there. And would want this only if the Coach was up for it. I don’t think it’s as out of reach as others here from that standpoint. 

CBFan likes this

The day's of ever increasing coaches' salaries are over in college football and basketball.  The most important thing to winning is talent and the coach is no longer the most important thing when it comes to attracting talent.  As contracts expire, smart boosters and athletic programs will reallocate a portion of the funds that in the past that would go to the head coach's salary to NIL money.  That will lead to downward pressure on the wages college football and basketball programs pay their coaches.  Pay cuts are coming at many programs, they just won't happen until contracts expire.  

DOC and RUBillsFan like this

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The day's of ever increasing coaches' salaries are over in college football and basketball.  The most important thing to winning is talent and the coach is no longer the most important thing when it comes to attracting talent.  As contracts expire, smart boosters and athletic programs will reallocate a portion of the funds that in the past that would go to the head coach's salary to NIL money.  That will lead to downward pressure on the wages college football and basketball programs pay their coaches.  Pay cuts are coming at many programs, they just won't happen until contracts expire.  

-I could see this becoming reality

I think this rush to establishing a pot of money sitting there waiting to be offered and then divvied up to incoming recruits will be a short-lived situation given that the NIL situation has just exploded on the college sports scene.  The NCAA fuoked up ---- they didn't get involved after the court decision and now chaos reigns supreme.  Folks are doing whatever they want to to pay kids to play for them.  It is as some called it, the wild, wild west of times.  I don't think it will last.  I think it's a bum's rush to an ending right now but I don't see that ending as sustainable.  Maybe, as DOC suggests, there will be out-of-the-box thinking and someone somewhere will come up with the answer.  I don't think it will be coach's sacrificing their 'hard earned' dollars to pay unproven kids to fill out 13 roster spots on 354 college level basketball teams.  I think paying immature college kids unequal amounts of money will lead to immature infighting and resentment.  You can't develop a working pay scale model either.  And when Big Booster pays Johnny WalkOnWater a million to play and the coach doesn't use him, them what and who's in charge?  Once again, I'm glad I have nothing outside a rooting interest in college basketball and don't have to depend on 17- and 18-year-old kids to make my day.  

James Franklin, Penn State football coach making nearly $9 million per year, is begging the boosters to step up and "employ" his kids.  Maybe this will work but others have already questioned the return on investment risk associated with paying a high school senior/college freshman some undisclosed sum of money to come to car shows, sign autographs, drive their branded car on campus or tweet to 10,000 followers.  I think money siphoned off boosters will not allow for things like Chaifetz Arena and the O'Loughlin Center.  Sure, they will still get built but the well will have to be expanded some before it runs dry.  Richard Chaifetz wants a team and it might very well be the Atlanta Hawks or Chicago Bulls.  At least there ismoney at the end of those rainbows in the form of NBA payouts and TV money.  No such luxuries with the Billikens and the A10.  And money won at a Final Four goes to the school, not Big Booster when all is said and done.

NIL is here to stay but I think there will be some attempt (likely failed) to reel it back in some.  This pay for play is just out in the open more than in the past.  And both versions just seem wrong and slimy.  Can't wait for the street agents and hangers-on to come back with a vengeance.