George Washington to stop using the name Colonials by the 23/24 season.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, SluSignGuy said:

I just hope the new mascot is something Founding/American Revolution related.

I admit, I may buy up a fair bit of colonials swag in the next year.

For all the grief teams and programs get for re-branding, I bet they feel a lot better about it when they see the bump in merch sales that comes with it. 

1 hour ago, ARon said:

For all the grief teams and programs get for re-branding, I bet they feel a lot better about it when they see the bump in merch sales that comes with it. 

At the professional level, possibly-probably. But at the GW Dumpster Fires basketball program, I doubt they sell enough merchandise to make up for the cost of the hourly intern that drafts the press release...

almaman likes this

As a company employee that lived through about 3 major status changes and rebrandings, I want you all to know that this is not a cheap or  quick process to engage in. Whenever the company rebranded they had all kinds of consultants measuring public liking and acceptance of the new logo or colors, using large numbers of colors and graphics for the company brand. There were multiple meetings with the executives in charge and with the board. This took time and a lot of work and research before there was general agreement upon a particular logo, graphics, fonts, and colors. I am very sure GW will be aware that the women athletes will not care for any name having to do with hippos, elephants, or cows. Sorry, I should have also included whales. This is not something that is decided overnight. They will sweat this decision and after all is done, they will face a lot of criticism for their decision, and proceed to alter the logo's details. This happened at SLU when they redesigned the Billiken. It is not an easy process.

They might be better off if they had the President's grandson as a consultant for the process, whatever it would become it would be original, be sure of it.

• 11 months later...

More silliness and caving in to the few and telling the many ..... to take a hike.  Colonials is an honorable name.  There were 13 American colonies that revolted against the British Empire and created a country unique in its time and still a shining beacon of freedom for much of the world.  The people who created this wonderful country were called ...... Colonials.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

We laugh but the GWU Poly-Sci dept is wondering why you are such a racist since you left out Che.......

not sure where to put him without messing up the rest, but it would add to the overall effect!

6 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Based on the tenets of intersectionality it he should be right above Lenin and all of those other cis white men......

Che was a rich white kid from Argentina.  He was Irish and Basque.

Che can't make this list.  He had a few thousand people killed maybe.  Stalin and Mao laugh at that.  If you aren't above a million plus you shouldn't get your picture on the floor.  Mao and Stalin with estimates of 50+ million can get the court named after them.