George Washington to stop using the name Colonials by the 23/24 season.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Monuments rolls off the tongue but maybe too phallic for 2022.

The Foggy Bottoms

That's all I got for now. 

6 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Reddit says that the "hippos" are getting a lot of support from students because of a statue on campus. Which, while yes, complaining about "Colonials" being offensive is silly, "Hippos" is 100x a better mascot. And I would definitely buy a Hippos Hat

The Hippocampus at GW has a nice ring to it.

23 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I've heard that a large group of 50-year-old women will be staging a protest against SIUE's mascot, followed by drinks at Brio in Frontenac afterward.

By drinks you mean Chardonnay 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Now that Hippos has been thrown out there, I have to say I’m behind that 100%. 

The urban legend with the Hippo thing is that the a former university president got drunk and bought the Hippo statue at an auction and had the university pay for it.  GW embraced it some (e.g., when I was there they renamed part of the student center the Hippodrome (or something similar) and had an inflatable Hippo mascot.

I would much rather stick to the American politics/historical theme for a new mascot.

After hearing the background story, I say double down on the Hippos!!  Drunken university presidents, calling the student center the Hippodrome, the GW campus is now the Hippocampus, inflatable Hippo mascots, who could ask for anything more? Except, of course, a specially marketed edition of Hungry, Hungry Hippos aimed at GW students and alumni.

Sports should be fun, what could be more fun than that?

dlarry and cgeldmacher like this

Hutto High in Hutto TX really embraces the hippo as their mascot they got concrete hippos all over town.   Pretty decent football program too.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Rose all day, brother.

Uhhh Rose' is a back up drink that can only be counted on for about 5 minutes because these days you can't get a respectable Rose' to be a back up drink unless you're really going to pay. So I'm not even sure why you'd stock Rose'. But I'm also not saying don't stock Rose', because Cougars definitely need back up drinks.  But 05 is holding out for Appletinis and that helps nobody.

Box and Won likes this

Tufts University and the University of Alabama have statues of an elephant on campus. What is wrong with a hippo statue, or a Billiken statue on campus? What is a Billiken anyway? People at large do not know. GW can call their team whatever they wish, Campbell University called their team The Fighting Camels, how about something like the Charging Hippos?

13 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Reddit says that the "hippos" are getting a lot of support from students because of a statue on campus. Which, while yes, complaining about "Colonials" being offensive is silly, "Hippos" is 100x a better mascot. And I would definitely buy a Hippos Hat

Agree they would be going from a mascot that's mid at best to a top tier below only billikens and other unique mascots only a single place can claim per the Official Power Rankings of Mascot Categories. Like I get that Colonials fits with GW history but the mascot itself is not that cool. Hippos and a story about a drunk university president? It's a yes from me. 

11 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Agree they would be going from a mascot that's mid at best to a top tier below only billikens and other unique mascots only a single place can claim per the Official Power Rankings of Mascot Categories. Like I get that Colonials fits with GW history but the mascot itself is not that cool. Hippos and a story about a drunk university president? It's a yes from me. 

I really can't think of anything it can or should be at this point.