George Washington to stop using the name Colonials by the 23/24 season.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The name Brown Indians saying goodbye, I get. Same with a lot of others. Colonials certainly can be an offensive term, in a certain context. But, it really makes me wonder where this will end. Technically, Tigers kill people. Bears, lions, wildcats, and wolves have to be offensive to the families they have hurt. Anyway…

Good day to be a Billiken!

RUBillsFan likes this

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The name Brown Indians saying goodbye, I get. Same with a lot of others. Colonials certainly can be an offensive term, in a certain context. But, it really makes me wonder where this will end. Technically, Tigers kill people. Bears, lions, wildcats, and wolves have to be offensive to the families they have hurt. Anyway…

Good day to be a Billiken!

just a matter of time before someone will be offended by the name Billikens....of course we should gladly cave when we become aware....read this description, many potential reasons for someone  to be offended...

The Billiken is a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream.[1] It is believed that Pretz found the name Billiken in Bliss Carman's 1896 poem "Mr. Moon: A Song Of The Little People". In 1908, she obtained a design patent on the ornamental design of the Billiken,[2] which she sold to the Billiken Company of Chicago. The Billiken was monkey-like with pointed ears, a mischievous smile and a tuft of hair on his pointed head. His arms were short and he was generally sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him. Billiken is known as "The God of Things as They Ought to Be".

To buy a Billiken was said to give the purchaser luck, but to receive one as a gift would be better luck.[3] The image was copyrighted and a trademark was put on the name. After a few years of popularity, the Billiken faded into obscurity. Although they are similar, the Billiken and the baby-like kewpie figures that debuted in the December 1909 Ladies' Home Journal are not the same.

Today, the Billiken is the official mascot of Saint Louis University and St. Louis University High School, both Jesuit institutions located in St. Louis.[4] The Billiken is also the official mascot of the Royal Order of Jesters,[5] an invitation only Shriner group, affiliated with Freemasonry. The Billiken also became the namesake of Billiken Shokai, the Japanese toy & model manufacturing company (established 1976).

I get some of the name of building changes and mascot changes but making “Colonials” out as an offensive term defies logic.

slufanskip, bauman and MB73 like this

13 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I get some of the name of building changes and mascot changes but making “Colonials” out as an offensive term defies logic.

I don’t know. If you are a Native American, it might be like the word ‘Nazi’. That said, didn’t we start the end of colonialism? Some say we are colonialists with places like Puerto Rico, etc. I guess I get it. If we are celebrating our pre-colonial history, then that is probably bad. If we are celebrating our defeat of the British, then that is maybe better. 

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would you even care if the GW wants to change their mascot.  You need hobby.

bc at this rate we're just 2 years away from having to change our mascot too. 

ahh yes a version of godwins law. GW can do what it wants, but I'm going to call a spade a spade: this is excessive and dumb...we've gone from changing actual slurs to Colonials. It's literally a mascot of white Anglo-Saxon protestants....that might be the funniest part.

46 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know. If you are a Native American, it might be like the word ‘Nazi’. That said, didn’t we start the end of colonialism? Some say we are colonialists with places like Puerto Rico, etc. I guess I get it. If we are celebrating our pre-colonial history, then that is probably bad. If we are celebrating our defeat of the British, then that is maybe better. 

Billiken Rich likes this