Backup Point Guard

On 6/17/2022 at 2:39 PM, HoosierPal said:

Our new Back Up PG went to Doe Run University. He averaged 17 assists per game in only 12 mpg. He is used to being a back up. 

This was misleading. The Doe Run offense has been a major part of basketball in the region just to the south of St. Louis. It has been stated that the coaching staff is looking for an expert of that style who can teach it to the team. Maybe as the backup point guard. Maybe as a walk on. The Doe Run is basically just a run and gun style where the point guard guns it down court, and three ‘Does’  get way out  in front of the ball. Doe Run.

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This was misleading. The Doe Run offense has been a major part of basketball in the region just to the south of St. Louis. It has been stated that the coaching staff is looking for an expert of that style who can teach it to the team. Maybe as the backup point guard. Maybe as a walk on. The Doe Run is basically just a run and gun style where the point guard guns it down court, and three ‘Does’  get way out  in front of the ball. Doe Run.

Duh :)

• 3 weeks later...

i think the inaction says he is for now satisfied he has enough point guard skill on the roster to back up yuri sufficiently.   if the european trip shows that isnt true, he might react.   of course that is probably too late.   rolling the dice i guess.  

i also think he might be saving the last one for that "happens every year" december transfer that might pop up.  

i have no information on either statement, just trying to read tea leaves basically.  

HenryB likes this

I think they're just being opportunistic. If the right player becomes available for this very specific fit, they'll use it. If not, they're confident in what we have already. I'm sure they're still contacting transfers occasionally.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think the inaction says he is for now satisfied he has enough point guard skill on the roster to back up yuri sufficiently.   if the european trip shows that isnt true, he might react.   of course that is probably too late.   rolling the dice i guess.  

i also think he might be saving the last one for that "happens every year" december transfer that might pop up.  

i have no information on either statement, just trying to read tea leaves basically.  

It also could mean Travis has been talking to his former player Marcus Smart. Smart had a tweet/FB post the other day that said something like; "So for a guy who's not a PG, it's not bad he led his team to the NBA finals." I'm assuming this was in reference to Smart taking on PG duties. Also, if you watched any of the finals, there were times where Tatum was playing the PG position. Travis may be thinking guys like Perkins, Parker, Thatch, or maybe even Pickett can run the point for 10 mpg. I still don't believe Ford will hand the backup keys to Thames right off the bat, but may be comfortable enough with what he's seen from the FR to think that  he can be developed over the course of the season.  

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think they're just being opportunistic. If the right player becomes available for this very specific fit, they'll use it. If not, they're confident in what we have already. I'm sure they're still contacting transfers occasionally.

I think that’s most likely what Coach Ford is thinking. 

14 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

There is always the backup plan, buy a point guard with Dough and run.

Then we need some Dough Boys to pony up some 💰.

AnkielBreakers likes this

• 5 weeks later...