Backup Point Guard

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Where does it say, and I quote from Dennis, "You recruit a guy and tell him he will only play if a freshman struggles?"

I gotta say, you're obsessed with something that doesn't exist.  You desperately want me to be anti- Thames, and its kinda weird.  I can be the biggest Thames fan, and still want another PG incase he's not ready.  You know that's possible, right?

I was paraphrasing, I didn’t use quotation marks 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I was paraphrasing, I didn’t use quotation marks 

well then why did you respond with " you did" when I said who would tell a recruit that they would be coming here to play 3rd string to a frosh unless he sucked. ..

I found our guy - Kevin "Boopie" Miller - Central Michigan just hit the portal. Averaged 4.6 apg and only a freshman.

I doubt we'll get him and just throwing out a cool name for fun, but I think rather than a grad transfer, another approach is to try to land a quality freshman, let him know he will apprentice behind Yuri for one year on a very good team and then get the keys for his final two seasons.

AGB91 likes this

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

well then why did you respond with " you did" when I said who would tell a recruit that they would be coming here to play 3rd string to a frosh unless he sucked. ..

i guess i am just an idiot who cant follow a thread properly, i said sucked?

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

I found our guy - Kevin "Boopie" Miller - Central Michigan just hit the portal. Averaged 4.6 apg and only a freshman.

I doubt we'll get him and just throwing out a cool name for fun, but I think rather than a grad transfer, another approach is to try to land a quality freshman, let him know he will apprentice behind Yuri for one year on a very good team and then get the keys for his final two seasons.

-if he just hit the portal is he eligible to play this season?

49 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Where does it say, and I quote from Dennis, "You recruit a guy and tell him he will only play if a freshman struggles?"

I gotta say, you're obsessed with something that doesn't exist.  You desperately want me to be anti- Thames, and its kinda weird.  I can be the biggest Thames fan, and still want another PG incase he's not ready.  You know that's possible, right?

What you want doesn’t exist... there aren’t any high level point guards available who are going to come here to play 5 minutes a game. Yes, you could find a mediocre guard with limited athleticism to come, but why??? We recruited a point guard with great athleticism who has played at the highest AAU level. That one scholarship could be extremely valuable later on if something unexpected opened up. As far as your opinion of Thames ability, you have had ample opportunity to give it and have refused. I trust the coaches on this. 

AGB91 likes this

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

I've seen several folks here speculate that we will need a pg after this year. Why? Where is Yuri Collins going? 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

I've seen several folks here speculate that we will need a pg after this year. Why? Where is Yuri Collins going? 

I was just getting ready to say this. He explicitly stated during the season that he was planning on using the additional 2 years of eligibility. I understand a lot has happened since then, but him being gone after this season isn't the foregone conclusion everyone seems to think it is. 

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

Were you around this past offseason?  I hope Yuri returns for his 5th year in a SLU uniform, but I would prefer the staff have plans in place in case he doesn't.

Where would that stock take him? He's not getting drafted. And he won't able to make the kind of money anywhere else if we have the type of year we all hope for. Even if we don't, this kid knows how to market himself and what he knows now is SLU is where he can cash in. With the level of talent that will be gone, I expect Yuri to take a big step up next year in scoring, which will give him his only chance of getting drafted. And he will get anothr year of watching his brother play.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Were you around this past offseason?  I hope Yuri returns for his 5th year in a SLU uniform, but I would prefer the staff have plans in place in case he doesn't.

I didn't say we shouldn't be prepared for him leaving. Of course we should. I believe we should add a pg this year. But I asked why people thought he was leaving after this year and where would he go. 

RUBillsFan likes this

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

I didn't say we shouldn't be prepared for him leaving. Of course we should. I believe we should add a pg this year. But I asked why people thought he was leaving after this year and where would he go. 

Gotcha.  With NIL & the portal I'm just going to operate under the assumption that our entire roster is year to year instead of getting emotionally invested in a guy coming back.  Yuri could go pretty much anywhere else he wants depending on the role he is willing to take on.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Gotcha.  With NIL & the portal I'm just going to operate under the assumption that our entire roster is year to year instead of getting emotionally invested in a guy coming back.  Yuri could go pretty much anywhere else he wants depending on the role he is willing to take on.

He won't go to the NBA and that's the only place that will be better for him than SLU and SLU is where he will have the best opportunity to get to the league, in my opinion. And he will be well compensated.

I for one really think Collins will be gone.  He will have every point guard record in the SLU record books once this season  is done.   He won't have Perkins, Pickett, Forrester or Okoro.  Thatch might call it quits (you never know).  Jimerson might think playing for UVA is an opportunity a Richmond kid can't pass up.  

We all heard about Yuri's NBA feedback  Seemed like it advocated playing against better competition night in and night out.  He goes into the portal next year and it will be a feeding frenzy.  Teams in the ACC, Big Ten, Big Twelve and Big East will be salivating to get into the bidding war.  Playing in those leagues sure beats Duquesne, La Salle, Fordham, St. Joes, Geedubya, Mason and even the Bonnies.  There would be more TV exposure on a bigger stage against bigger and better opponents.  If he does well (and I think he would) then the draft stock has to go up.  With the right team, he coudl evn be playing deep into the Dance, even a Final Four appearance.  Who knows?  

The laundry will change drastically after this year.  Graduation alone will sap this team of a ton of talent.  I hope to be wrong but in today's fuoked up world of college basketball, again, who knows? 

But I'll worry about that next year.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I for one really think Collins will be gone.  He will have every point guard record in the SLU record books once this season  is done.   He won't have Perkins, Pickett, Forrester or Okoro.  Thatch might call it quits (you never know).  Jimerson might think playing for UVA is an opportunity a Richmond kid can't pass up.  

We all heard about Yuri's NBA feedback  Seemed like it advocated playing against better competition night in and night out.  He goes into the portal next year and it will be a feeding frenzy.  Teams in the ACC, Big Ten, Big Twelve and Big East will be salivating to get into the bidding war.  Playing in those leagues sure beats Duquesne, La Salle, Fordham, St. Joes, Geedubya, Mason and even the Bonnies.  There would be more TV exposure on a bigger stage against bigger and better opponents.  If he does well (and I think he would) then the draft stock has to go up.  With the right team, he coudl evn be playing deep into the Dance, even a Final Four appearance.  Who knows?  

The laundry will change drastically after this year.  Graduation alone will sap this team of a ton of talent.  I hope to be wrong but in today's fuoked up world of college basketball, again, who knows? 

But I'll worry about that next year.

I just hope Yuri plays in any  post season games we get and not pull a cute thing like he did last year, which cost us any NIT chance we might have had. I hope the NIL contract he got specified that he had to play the whole regular season, the conference tournament plus any post conference tournaments we might be invited to next season.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I just hope Yuri plays in any  post season games we get and not pull a cute thing like he did last year, which cost us any NIT chance we might have had. I hope the NIL contract he got specified that he had to play the whole regular season, the conference tournament plus any post conference tournaments we might be invited to next season.

So you have some inside info saying Yuri wasn’t actually hurt? 

On 6/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, Bills By 40 said:

I'm willing to provide 1,000,000 Schrute Bucks in compensation to you personally if Yuri is injured or sick and cannot play!  

What is the ratio of Stanley Nickels to Schrute Bucks? 

Bills By 40 likes this

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

eye-roll-david.gif

Bills By 40 likes this

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

If that was the case, no way he's back this year.  That's a whole river of sh** that I really doubt coach Ford would eat.....

12 hours ago, slufanskip said:

So you have some inside info saying Yuri wasn’t actually hurt? 

I have no inside info at all, however if you are hurt you cannot be evaluated by the NBA properly or do your very best. However we do have the box scores for out last game against Davidson which took place 4 days prior to the first NIT game. The stats for the Davidson game are factual. During the Davidson game he showed no signs of impairment, played 29 minutes and did well. So, while I cannot be certain I would reason the scenario we are discussing in the following way. If his aim was (and this is pretty certain to me) to get to the NBA, why should he have risked injury in the NIT game, or other games that might have followed? Yes this is my thinking, not factual information. Just ask yourself would you have played the NIT game given the aim and circumstances described?

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have no inside info at all, however if you are hurt you cannot be evaluated by the NBA properly or do your very best. However we do have the box scores for out last game against Davidson which took place 4 days prior to the first NIT game. The stats for the Davidson game are factual. During the Davidson game he showed no signs of impairment, played 29 minutes and did well. So, while I cannot be certain I would reason the scenario we are discussing in the following way. If his aim was (and this is pretty certain to me) to get to the NBA, why should he have risked injury in the NIT game, or other games that might have followed? Yes this is my thinking, not factual information. Just ask yourself would you have played the NIT game given the aim and circumstances described?

You've clearly never been an athlete. This is one of the worst posts in the history of Bills.com  

For you to make the assumption that he faked an injury and sat out the NIT game is ludicrous. Perkins was healthy with no signs of impairment just 1 day before he actually got hurt. 

You sound like a 19 year old kid who spouts nonsense just to get noticed. You should be ashamed

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You've clearly never been an athlete. This is one of the worst posts in the history of Bills.com  

For you to make the assumption that he faked an injury and sat out the NIT game is ludicrous. Perkins was healthy with no signs of impairment just 1 day before he actually got hurt. 

You sound like a 19 year old kid who spouts nonsense just to get noticed. You should be ashamed

I put him on ignore many years ago skip. Best thing on this board I ever did. 

On 6/15/2022 at 9:09 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Here is the link to the audio. 

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

These two segments with Coach Tate are a must listen.  Some very good comments on the team, on the Collins situation, and on NIL.  Some surprising answers. 

Yes, Perkins, Parker and Thames can all run the point.  Perkins played PG for Miller Academy. 

Cisse not yet I’m town  

Very interesting situation with Collins and his entering the Portal.  A lot of misinformation was floating around.

Tate is all for NIL. It will make basketball better.  'If you want more money, get in the gym and improve yourself.'

First question asked by each recruit is on what is your NIL.  SLU has contracted with the Influencer to set all this up.  Tate realizes his strength of building relationships with local recruits has taken a turn on this NIL.