Backup Point Guard

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You can sign Aaron Hines a month before fall practice starts, if you can't find anything better.  There's no reason to sign him now.

100% agree.  I was never saying im worried we haven't found someone.  All im saying and have been saying is that I hope we use our last scholarship on a PG or CG. 

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Cowboy II said:

-I hope the games from Europe are avaialble, would be great to watch some ball in the summer

I was thinking about this the other day, did we have coverage last time we played in canada?

50 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

After the days of Brad "savings scholarships" Soderberg, I cannot believe anyone would openly advocate for NOT using available scholarships, but here we are.

You don't just bring in anyone regardless of fit / personality to fill that spot, but IMO you should absolutely use it on someone.  Even if Thames (or others) is a serviceable backup PG option that's still our thinnest spot on the roster, so it makes sense to target a PG with the last scholarship.

Only reasonable position would be that we should leave it open for a possible mid-season transfer rather than settle for a guy who isn't likely to contribute much.  Given the current transfer trend it isn't out of the question someone could become available.

This, right now, is the deepest team in SLU history. I think Ford feels like he owes Thames, Thatch, and the current players, to disprove their ability to play the point before adding more depth.

Just to be clear, Thatch was our best backup PG at the end of this season. He can’t bring the ball up the court alone, but he can take his man to the basket and look for a kick out, or other pass. Perkins can do that as well. That is really what we need from a backup. If Thames shows he can really handle the point, issue closed.

billiken_roy likes this

28 minutes ago, HenryB said:

FYI Tate will be on with Frank and Rammer at 10:30. 

First question, Frank asks him about the back-up PG... he mentions Parker, Perkins and "if you have to" Thames.  Also, mentioned the open scholarship, something like "you're always looking"

Regarding Parker, Tate said don't put much pressure on him, but then compared him to Perkins.

SLURadioBoy likes this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

First question, Frank asks him about the back-up PG... he mentions Parker, Perkins and "if you have to" Thames.  Also, mentioned the open scholarship, something like "you're always looking"

Regarding Parker, Tate said don't put much pressure on him, but then compared him to Perkins.

board seems in tune to the facts :)

58 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Lets look at what Ive seen dozens and dozens of, players who averaged 2-4 ppg, 2-3 assists a game, while handling the PG duty at some schools. for most of those players they have to pick what they want to do, do they want to play their last year on a tournament team, or drop even lower.  Players like Jones said I want to win. 

Im more than willing to settle for one of those players late in the summer if it comes down to it.  I'd rather have a guy who has played point and has experience, and let him go against thames in camp, winner gets the spot.  Thats ok with me. 

I get your point. However, do you actually think Ford wouldn't like to bring in a back up pg that he feels gives him some security if Yuri gets hurt or if a current option can't fill the role? Of course he would, but he more than anyone here knows what he has in current players. It doesn't make sense to bring in someone who he feels would be behind what we currently have just because they've done it before. 

I should know this but when is the European trip? Is that this year? 

HenryB likes this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I get your point. However, do you actually think Ford wouldn't like to bring in a back up pg that he feels gives him some security if Yuri gets hurt or if a current option can't fill the role? Of course he would, but he more than anyone here knows what he has in current players. It doesn't make sense to bring in someone who he feels would be behind what we currently have just because they've done it before. 

I should know this but when is the European trip? Is that this year? 

Aug 12 to 21

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

After the days of Brad "savings scholarships" Soderberg, I cannot believe anyone would openly advocate for NOT using available scholarships, but here we are.

You don't just bring in anyone regardless of fit / personality to fill that spot, but IMO you should absolutely use it on someone.  Even if Thames (or others) is a serviceable backup PG option that's still our thinnest spot on the roster, so it makes sense to target a PG with the last scholarship.

Only reasonable position would be that we should leave it open for a possible mid-season transfer rather than settle for a guy who isn't likely to contribute much.  Given the current transfer trend it isn't out of the question someone could become available.

i am not reading anyone wanting to save the scholarship.  i am also not saying DONT get a point guard.   but maybe if thames or a committee of wings all can handle the 5-10 minutes this will likely encompass the other roster spot would be better serve with a project player at the inside position.   or maybe there is a player that will become available that will just be too good to pass up.

my only point is i see no emergency "have to" scenario.    

as to the "saving a scholarship" scenario.   we have seen xmas break transfers emerge many times before whereby it would have been nice to have had a scholarship available.   again not saying save one.   i just dont know if we fill a spot just to fill it.   if the best we come up with is like that williams guy last year, i'd openly campaign for saving the scholarship.  

get a player that there is a plan for and that will help the team.  

slufanskip, AGB91 and CenHudDude like this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

no one was ever saying anything to cause that response. 

then feel free to make them....I know if I were him and listened to you incessantly claim the need of a third rate pg  to play instead of him, i would be slighted.... but here's your chance to tell him exactly what you think....

21 hours ago, Coach314 said:

So with Javonte, Gibson, Fred, Parker, Pickett and Hargrove on the wing you guys think it will be hard for Thames to give Yuri a 5-10 min breather in which all Thames has to do is bring the ball up, initiate the offense with a pass and play solid defense?  

I think what many of us would prefer is to bring in a guy for one year that has PG experience, but let Thames be the first option as the backup PG.  Then, if Thames struggles to transition to the college game immediately, which freshmen often do, we have a back up plan.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think what many of us would prefer is to bring in a guy for one year that has PG experience, but let Thames be the first option as the backup PG.  Then, if Thames struggles to transition to the college game immediately, which freshmen often do, we have a back up plan.

yep. this is exactly all of it. 

Just now, dennis_w said:

You recruit a guy and tell him he will only play if a freshman struggles?  i doubt there is a long line of prospects that would take that

who the hell would say that, and where did that even come from?

2 hours ago, almaman said:

board seems in tune to the facts :)

One thing is certain - Frank is very in tune with what the board is talking about. He sort of rushed Tate, I wish he would have stayed on the topic a bit longer. Not sure we really gained a lot of insight.

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

You an cgeldmacher

love to see where I said that we should tell a pg to come here and he'll only play if Thames struggles. 

What I DID say time and time again is to bring in a PG and have them battle for back up - you know, competition.

Just now, wgstl said:

love to see where I said that we should tell a pg to come here and he'll only play if Thames struggles. 

What I DID say time and time again is to bring in a PG and have them battle for back up - you know, competition.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

yep. this is exactly all of it. 

Right here take a look

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

who the hell would say that, and where did that even come from?

Are you ok??? 

1 hour ago,  cgeldmacher said: 

yep. this is exactly all of it

8 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Are you ok??? 

1 hour ago,  cgeldmacher said: 

yep. this is exactly all of it

Where does it say, and I quote from Dennis, "You recruit a guy and tell him he will only play if a freshman struggles?"

I gotta say, you're obsessed with something that doesn't exist.  You desperately want me to be anti- Thames, and its kinda weird.  I can be the biggest Thames fan, and still want another PG incase he's not ready.  You know that's possible, right?