Backup Point Guard

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

You're satisfied with unproven players.  I'd like to get as many players in and let them compete, but ok. 

school doesnt start for a couple of months and i trust coach ford to assess the roster and bring in a point guard if necessary, coach cant bring in a player just because he wants to ,the player also has to want to come based on playing time etc. as strange as it may sound some kids are interested in  an academic fit also. too  early to panic 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, dennis_w said:

school doesnt start for a couple of months and i trust coach ford to assess the roster and bring in a point guard if necessary, coach cant bring in a player just because he wants to ,the player also has to want to come based on playing time etc. as strange as it may sound some kids are interested in  an academic fit alson. to early to panic 

Im not panicking.  All I have been saying this entire time is that I want to use the last scholarship to get another PG, rather than pocketing that scholarship. 

RUBillsFan and ACE like this

Just now, wgstl said:

Im not panicking.  All I have been saying this entire time is that I want to use the last scholarship to get another PG, rather than pocketing that scholarship. 

so bring in anyone even if they are not a good fit just to use the scholarship? what if thames or hughes balls out this summer and ford says lets wait to use the last one?

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

so bring in anyone even if they are not a good fit just to use the scholarship? what if thames or hughes balls out this summer and ford says lets wait to use the last one?

Yes.  What other position would you use the last scholarship for?  Set on front court, we have enough wings to loan out to teams in need, probably enough SG. 

And if LHJ and Thames ball out, great!  Could still use an extra incase they get injured, or ball out in camp shows up to mean nothing in games. 

For all of you who claim to trust the ability of the coaches to decide who is able to play a position, and what type of player we should bring into the team. Just let the coaches decide how to deal with the team, it is their job to do so.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

For all of you who claim to trust the ability of the coaches to decide who is able to play a position, and what type of player we should bring into the team. Just let the coaches decide how to deal with the team, it is their job to do so.

lets close down the message board.  Go home everyone. 

ACE and slufanskip like this

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is my point, Thames looks to be the ONLY backup option and he's never played. That's why we need to bring in one more.  Thank you. 

Thames would also have to compete against Perkins, who averaged about 2 apg two years ago and Pickett, who averaged about 2 apg last year.

IMO, the floor is Deandre Jones.  Bringing in some guy who averaged 3 apg game as the primary ball handler on a low major team is no improvement over what we already have.  Practically any of the guards on our team could do that.

The coaching staff has been looking for months for a decent player who is willing to take on a severely reduced role.  No dice yet and it's understandable why.  All of our prospective recruits know who Yuri Collins is.  

dennis_w likes this

After the days of Brad "savings scholarships" Soderberg, I cannot believe anyone would openly advocate for NOT using available scholarships, but here we are.

You don't just bring in anyone regardless of fit / personality to fill that spot, but IMO you should absolutely use it on someone.  Even if Thames (or others) is a serviceable backup PG option that's still our thinnest spot on the roster, so it makes sense to target a PG with the last scholarship.

Only reasonable position would be that we should leave it open for a possible mid-season transfer rather than settle for a guy who isn't likely to contribute much.  Given the current transfer trend it isn't out of the question someone could become available.

dlarry, wgstl, stmdragons and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thames would also have to compete against Perkins, who averaged about 2 apg two years ago and Pickett, who averaged about 2 apg last year.

IMO, the floor is Deandre Jones.  Bringing in some guy who averaged 3 apg game as the primary ball handler on a low major team is no improvement over what we already have.  Practically any of the guards on our team could do that.

The coaching staff has been looking for months for a decent player who is willing to take on a severely reduced role.  No dice yet and it's understandable why.  All of our prospective recruits know who Yuri Collins is.  

I understand it will be hard and a tall task for the staff, but I think its still a necessary addition to the team.  Im not looking to add players to get our assists numbers up. Perk, Pickett etc can pass it, sure.  I'm talking about getting a player who can handle the point for 6,7,10 minutes against a good team if Yuri fouls out or gets in foul trouble(this happens more than a lot of people on this board realize).  Im looking for a player who could play along side Yuri and handle heavy pressure against the few teams we see do that.  We don't have anymore on our team currently that has shown that they can do that at this level.

It seems people are thinking that we just need someone who can dribble for 1:30 while yuri gets a quick water break, once.

billikenblue likes this

I'm a big fan of Ford's recruiting, but I wish he'd take a page from Majerus and have a variety of quality ballhandler options. I liked the versatility: he had a roster of KM, MM JJ and KC - any one of them could run the point and at minimum reliably handle the ball. I understand the need is currently not as a great with a top pure pg like Collins on the roster, but just one of the type of versatile combo guards I mention above would be very helpful on this roster.

slufan13 likes this

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I'm a big fan of Ford's recruiting, but I wish he'd take a page from Majerus and have a variety of quality ballhandler options. I liked the versatility: he had a roster of KM, MM JJ and KC - any one of them could run the point and at minimum reliably handle the ball. I understand the need is currently not as a great with a top pure pg like Collins on the roster, but just one of the type of versatile combo guards I mention above would be very helpful on this roster.

Ford did do that, but just at the wing position, ha .

Just now, ACE said:

i think he was hoping nesbit was that player, guys want playing time and you cant just go to the point guard store and pick one up. with collins on the roster guys know they will be on the bench

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think he was hoping nesbit was that player, guys want playing time and you cant just go to the point guard store and pick one up. with collins on the roster guys know they will be on the bench

Ya I do think Nesbitt was supposed to be that guy.  As for the PGS( point guard store) you can, the staff may think since its still early that they can still be picky, which I'd understand.   

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

So the staff recognizes the need and are not 100% sold on the current options on the team. Several of us in this thread are expressing that exact same sentiment.

Just now, dennis_w said:

you need to contact the coach and tell him about the point guard store, i dont think lhe is aware

no open locations in Missouri or Illinois. 

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

After the days of Brad "savings scholarships" Soderberg, I cannot believe anyone would openly advocate for NOT using available scholarships, but here we are.

You don't just bring in anyone regardless of fit / personality to fill that spot, but IMO you should absolutely use it on someone Even if Thames (or others) is a serviceable backup PG option that's still our thinnest spot on the roster, so it makes sense to target a PG with the last scholarship.

Only reasonable position would be that we should leave it open for a possible mid-season transfer rather than settle for a guy who isn't likely to contribute much.  Given the current transfer trend it isn't out of the question someone could become available.

Your assumption is that an experienced point guard who is worthy of that scholarship is currently available.  What is that assumption based on?

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

You're satisfied with unproven players.  I'd like to get as many players in and let them compete, but ok. 

you're being ridiculous....you act like a freshman playing 5-10 minutes a game is unheard of....Thames is a 6'6" point guard who has played at the highest level of AAU ball. You apparently are desperate to bring in a mediocre, at best graduate  transfer and play him at the expense of developing a freshman athlete....meanwhile, you will be a part of the crowd who will be upset, that the freshman transferred out because he wasn't getting any playing time....and please don't twist my words, I have no problem with adding quality talent to the roster, key word being quality....I just don't share your enthusiasm for bringing in a bottom of the barrel grad transfer just because he has experience...

dennis_w likes this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Your assumption is that an experienced point guard who is worthy of that scholarship is currently available.  What is that assumption based on?

Lets look at what Ive seen dozens and dozens of, players who averaged 2-4 ppg, 2-3 assists a game, while handling the PG duty at some schools. for most of those players they have to pick what they want to do, do they want to play their last year on a tournament team, or drop even lower.  Players like Jones said I want to win. 

Im more than willing to settle for one of those players late in the summer if it comes down to it.  I'd rather have a guy who has played point and has experience, and let him go against thames in camp, winner gets the spot.  Thats ok with me. 

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you're being ridiculous....you act like a freshman playing 5-10 minutes a game is unheard of....Thames is a 6'6" point guard who has played at the highest level of AAU ball. You apparently are desperate to bring in a mediocre, at best graduate  transfer and play him at the expense of developing a freshman athlete....meanwhile, you will be a part of the crowd who will be upset, that the freshman transferred out because he wasn't getting any playing time....and please don't twist my words, I have no problem with adding quality talent to the roster, key word being quality....I just don't share your enthusiasm for bringing in a bottom of the barrel grad transfer just because he has experience...

so you would rather be ultra thin at a very important position vs adding even a scrub to be the 3rd option? 

Talk about twisting words my guy, I've said this whole time that whoever is better between example thames and the 3rd pg we could get should be the backup. Thames is here on a one year scholarship.  I don't care about grooming him for years down the line, that game has set sail. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Lets look at what Ive seen dozens and dozens of, players who averaged 2-4 ppg, 2-3 assists a game, while handling the PG duty at some schools. for most of those players they have to pick what they want to do, do they want to play their last year on a tournament team, or drop even lower.  Players like Jones said I want to win. 

Im more than willing to settle for one of those players late in the summer if it comes down to it.  I'd rather have a guy who has played point and has experience, and let him go against thames in camp, winner gets the spot.  Thats ok with me. 

You can sign Aaron Hines a month before fall practice starts, if you can't find anything better.  There's no reason to sign him now.

dennis_w likes this