Backup Point Guard

10 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I wonder if this had anything to do with Yuri looking elsewhere...

All of this is speculation on top of speculation, but since we're already down the rabbit hole, I think that, under that scenario, Coach Ford would tell Perkins that Yuri is our PG, but that Perkins will get time handling the ball at the point when Yuri is resting.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that Ford will still sign a pg or combo guard. Even if he thinks he has internal candidates to fill in at PG (which I don't think is the case) I feel pretty certain that he we will fill the scholarship, even if it is a different position. He's not the type to "save scholarships."

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

I still think that Ford will still sign a pg or combo guard. Even if he thinks he has internal candidates to fill in at PG (which I don't think is the case) I feel pretty certain that he we will fill the scholarship, even if it is a different position. He's not the type to "save scholarships."

Or he trusts the current roster and awards the last scholarship to LHJ.  

32 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Or he trusts the current roster and awards the last scholarship to LHJ.  

Its not so much about Trust at this point. Too much unknown between how healthy Perks is, same with Fred tbh.  Along with Kramer and Kellen being true frosh, why gamble with that? Take the safe route, grab someone even if that players numbers aren't flashy, then hope Kellen or Kramer or Fred emerge and really take off with the backup position. 

Can you imagine the uproar if our issue next season is that we never got someone who can backup Yuri and pocketed the last scholarship.

MusicCityBilliken and ACE like this

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

Its not so much about Trust at this point. Too much unknown between how healthy Perks is, same with Fred tbh.  Along with Kramer and Kellen being true frosh, why gamble with that? Take the safe route, grab someone even if that players numbers aren't flashy, then hope Kellen or Kramer or Fred emerge and really take off with the backup position. 

Can you imagine the uproar if our issue next season is that we never got someone who can backup Yuri and pocketed the last scholarship.

Injuries is what concerns me

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Getting anybody who is significantly less than DeAndre Jones is pointless.  That player can't help us.

I agree. Even last year with Jones, how many games do we lose if Yuri is out completely?  Jones was a + in my book, but if we have to rely heavy on a backup this season, the record will suffer.  Dior Johnson ain’t coming here. 

The statement of “learn from Yuri” for a year and take over has earmarks of a less than desired point guard transfer. Give Thames a shot. If we don’t want to use him, then why give him a scholarship?  He can learn for a year and then take over next year. 

22 hours ago, ACE said:

I agree. 
All he needs to do is find a guy who can handle the ball and play defense for 8-10 minutes a game. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t add a player like that. 

The one thing about last year was that we had trouble generating any type of offense when Yuri was not in the game.  Assuming Perkins is healthy, I don't expect that to be the case so much this year.  Maybe he's not bringing the ball up the court, but he can be the one to create, either for himself or for others.

it seems like we have some reluctance to give Thames that opportunity.    if we saw the need to give him a scholarship, (particularly since he wasnt signed for his physical dimensions i.e like a big guy project and is a part of our biggest part of the roster, guards) we obviously believe he is worthy.   at least as worthy as these low d-1 backups available in the pool.   

i believe anyone of worth willing to come would have already come.   so imo thames is our 5-10 minute guy as well.   and if he doesnt work out as someone suggested yesterday, give the ball to perkins for 10 minutes.   the celtics feel secure letting tatum handle the point for 5-10 minutes a game, perkins can be our tatum.   

56 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree. 
All he needs to do is find a guy who can handle the ball and play defense for 8-10 minutes a game. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t add a player like that. 

I'm sure that player exists.  But as of June 14th, nobody in America has convinced that player, who is a starter at a lower level, to use his final year of eligibility to play 8-10 minutes a game.  It's an incredibly hard sell.  

It is uncommon but not entirely unheard of for Yuri to get himself in foul trouble.

I imagine Pickett is your default answer and yes Thames and Hughes may have the opportunity to earn some time.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

it seems like we have some reluctance to give Thames that opportunity.    if we saw the need to give him a scholarship, (particularly since he wasnt signed for his physical dimensions i.e like a big guy project and is a part of our biggest part of the roster, guards) we obviously believe he is worthy.   at least as worthy as these low d-1 backups available in the pool.   

i believe anyone of worth willing to come would have already come.   so imo thames is our 5-10 minute guy as well.   and if he doesnt work out as someone suggested yesterday, give the ball to perkins for 10 minutes.   the celtics feel secure letting tatum handle the point for 5-10 minutes a game, perkins can be our tatum.   

Agree with your points.  Love to see Thames be the "guy".  But my question for those who've seen him play, does he have the point guard skills to do the job as the backup and eventually the #1 PG job in the future?

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

The one thing about last year was that we had trouble generating any type of offense when Yuri was not in the game.  Assuming Perkins is healthy, I don't expect that to be the case so much this year.  Maybe he's not bringing the ball up the court, but he can be the one to create, either for himself or for others.

Totally agree. Maybe the offense will still be slightly less efficient in those minutes but it will be well ahead of this past season. Obviously if Yuri went down for like a 2 month long injury, I don't think we can get by with Perkins in that role but not sure we could get by with a Deandre Jones either. By "get by", I mean stay firmly in the NCAA hunt. 

SShoe likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game last night. Let Perk play up top for 5-10 a game. Also, Parker’s handles can’t be all bad, can they? 

Again it doesn't matter if the only PG we can get averaged 2 points 2 assists a game, its better than what we have currently.  This is not to say Thames cannot be a better solution once the season starts, but why are we gambling on a frosh who seems to be positionless at this point in time. Along with Thames your other options are in the same boat, or have a history of injuries. Give me someone who has handled the point in D1 basketball. I don't need some glorified stat line to go with it. 

cgeldmacher and BilliesBy40 like this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game last night. Let Perk play up top for 5-10 a game. Also, Parker’s handles can’t be all bad, can they? 

I think Parker will be one of the more interesting story lines for the season. How good is this guy and where does he fit? 

17 minutes ago, willie said:

I think Parker will be one of the more interesting story lines for the season. How good is this guy and where does he fit? 

Parker and Kramer. Kramer put up surprising point totals for BBE, on few minutes. Can he be hot off the bench 5-10 minutes per game?

The more I think about it the less I care about a back up pg. Lets get real if Yuri goes down for any significant amount of time are we really going to get a pg who could still guide us to the tourney at this point? Probably not. Like most teams in the A10 if we lose an all conference performer it's hard to have someone to step right in and carry on.  Even if Perkins was healthy last year, I don't believe we'd have made the tourney with Jones replacing Yuri. 

SShoe, slufan13 and CBFan like this

30 minutes ago, willie said:

I am hoping Parker like Perkins can create his own shot.  That will take a lot of pressure off the back-up point guard who ever that is.

I am for giving Larry Hughes Jr. the last scholarship instead of bringing in another pg that night not get off the bench.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

The more I think about it the less I care about a back up pg. Lets get real if Yuri goes down for any significant amount of time are we really going to get a pg who could still guide us to the tourney at this point? Probably not. Like most teams in the A10 if we lose an all conference performer it's hard to have someone to step right in and carry on. 

Exactly. We can get by with a committee to replace Yuri for the 5 minutes he sits each game but if he missed a few months with an injury, we aren't going anywhere whether we used a committee to replace him or one of the available transfer PGs. I'm still hoping we can land someone just to have another experienced ball-handler but it's not going to make or break our season

59 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree with your points.  Love to see Thames be the "guy".  But my question for those who've seen him play, does he have the point guard skills to do the job as the backup and eventually the #1 PG job in the future?

if 3 star is good with it that's good enough for me.  

slufanskip likes this

50 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Again it doesn't matter if the only PG we can get averaged 2 points 2 assists a game, its better than what we have currently.  This is not to say Thames cannot be a better solution once the season starts, but why are we gambling on a frosh who seems to be positionless at this point in time. Along with Thames your other options are in the same boat, or have a history of injuries. Give me someone who has handled the point in D1 basketball. I don't need some glorified stat line to go with it. 

If Thames couldn't go to a low major and average 8 and 2, we wouldn't have signed him that early.  Phillip Russell left here and averaged 13.5 ppg and 3 the very next year.

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The more I think about it the less I care about a back up pg. Lets get real if Yuri goes down for any significant amount of time are we really going to get a pg who could still guide us to the tourney at this point? Probably not. Like most teams in the A10 if we lose an all conference performer it's hard to have someone to step right in and carry on.  Even if Perkins was healthy last year, I don't believe we'd have made the tourney with Jones replacing Yuri. 

I agree that a back-up PG will not lead us into the Tourney if Yuri misses a lot of time, BUT what about a scenario where you have to weather a 5-6 game absence?  There is usually not a lot of margin for error in the mid-major world we are living in. We would need a semi-competent back-up PG to avoid really bad losses to the bottom half of the A-10. It could be the difference between getting into the Dance or being on the outside of the bubble. I consider it insurance.  I have no idea if Thames can be that guy, I hope so. But I imagine the staff is still shopping with this last scholarship. The supporting cast figures to be a lot stronger this year, which does alleviate a little pressure on the PG position. Yuri was asked to do a LOT last year.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Thames couldn't go to a low major and average 8 and 2, we wouldn't have signed him that early.  Phillip Russell left here and averaged 13.5 ppg and 3 the very next year.

Im not sure what that is in response to? All I was pointing out was that we don't have anyone with experience at playing the point on our roster outside of Yuri.  I would be 100% ok with getting a player who lets say averaged 3 points, 2 assists at texas St last year, as long as he actually played a decent amount of time at the point.  At this very point in time I'm not to excited about having 0 players on our roster who have any sort of history at the point position.  The few who we think * could * play a fee minutes at the point next year are either True frosh and neither are true PG's, or Fred who has a injury history. 

There were games last year where we needed a secondary ball handler like Jones to play a decent amount to win games.  We didnt need Jones to score in these games, but manage the point along with Yuri or be a secondary ball handler. 

RUBillsFan likes this