Jump to content

Backup Point Guard


Recommended Posts

It's beginning to look like SLU may not sign another point guard for the 2022-23 season.  Sure, Ford may still get one, the scholarship is available, but let's say he doesn't.  Last year's backup PG (Jones) got 15 minutes a game, that's substantial minutes.

So assuming SLU doesn't sign another PG, who is capable of doing the job?  Thatch?, Pickett?, Thames?  By Committee?

I have seen Thatch play for several years.  Is he capable of taking those minutes?  Maybe against certain opponents, but a pesky team like VCU or Dayton will cause him big problems IMO.

Pickett?  I can't bring myself to watch Mizzou so I have never seen him play.  He's clearly a talented player.  Playing some PG minutes would likely really improve any professional aspirations he might have.  Could that be the plan?

Thames?  Again, no clue.  Never seen him play.  But he did play PG in high school, right?  But he's a freshman.  Would love to see one of our freshmen get playing time.  Seems he's got the best opportunity.

By Committee?  SLU has a bunch of guys who can handle the ball pretty well.  Spread the responsibility around to the above plus Perkins, Jimerson, Parker, maybe Kramer.  Don't like that, especially against pressing teams.

Just trying to start some off-season discussion on the board.  What y'all think?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of PGs remain in the portal. But to answer pickett can not handle the ball. Thames can, but how much do I trust a freshman PG 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am confident that ford will find a point guard. plenty of names out there, might be a solid high school grad who is a solid ball handler , pure point guard type. this might be a year to steal one because of the number of transfers in the portal, likely some high schoolers getting overlooked

dlarry likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

It's beginning to look like SLU may not sign another point guard for the 2022-23 season.  Sure, Ford may still get one, the scholarship is available, but let's say he doesn't.  Last year's backup PG (Jones) got 15 minutes a game, that's substantial minutes.

So assuming SLU doesn't sign another PG, who is capable of doing the job?  Thatch?, Pickett?, Thames?  By Committee?

I have seen Thatch play for several years.  Is he capable of taking those minutes?  Maybe against certain opponents, but a pesky team like VCU or Dayton will cause him big problems IMO.

Pickett?  I can't bring myself to watch Mizzou so I have never seen him play.  He's clearly a talented player.  Playing some PG minutes would likely really improve any professional aspirations he might have.  Could that be the plan?

Thames?  Again, no clue.  Never seen him play.  But he did play PG in high school, right?  But he's a freshman.  Would love to see one of our freshmen get playing time.  Seems he's got the best opportunity.

By Committee?  SLU has a bunch of guys who can handle the ball pretty well.  Spread the responsibility around to the above plus Perkins, Jimerson, Parker, maybe Kramer.  Don't like that, especially against pressing teams.

Just trying to start some off-season discussion on the board.  What y'all think?

 

I’m not worried about who’ll play the 7-10 mpg Yuri rests. Jones didn’t play pg for 19 mpg. If I was guaranteed Yuri would be healthy all season I wouldn’t call it much of a need. However, that’s a big IF. Like others have said I think we’ll get someone or be pleasantly surprised by someone already on the roster but if we don’t it’s a big risk

BilliesBy40 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, almaman said:

we need 5 guys on court or we forfeit. Paraphrasing image.jpeg.02a273da492a921a1ab2c60633bb7b76.jpeg it's all semantics. Some one  has been @ point other than YC when he's on the court.

Rade: You gotta have five out there!

Coach Norman Dale: Sit... down!

Referee: You need one more, coach.

Coach Norman Dale: My team's on the floor!

 

Not trying being snarky, but having five or forfeiting reminds of this exchange in 'Hoosiers.'  

bauman likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I’m not worried about who’ll play the 7-10 mpg Yuri rests. Jones didn’t play pg for 19 mpg. If I was guaranteed Yuri would be healthy all season I wouldn’t call it much of a need. However, that’s a big IF. Like others have said I think we’ll get someone or be pleasantly surprised by someone already on the roster but if we don’t it’s a big risk

Here is your gurantee, in ink.  Yuri will be healthy all season.

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoosier if you are providing a guarantee in ink that Yuri will be healthy all season, how much are you going to provide in compensation, and to  whom, if Yuri is injured or sick and cannot play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hoosier if you are providing a guarantee in ink that Yuri will be healthy all season, how much are you going to provide in compensation, and to  whom, if Yuri is injured or sick and cannot play?

I'm willing to provide 1,000,000 Schrute Bucks in compensation to you personally if Yuri is injured or sick and cannot play!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May I ask what a Schrute Buck is, some kind of deer perhaps, or is it Cybercoin? And by the way there is no contractual obligation to do anything to compensate me personally. The injured party will be the SLU team or Athletic Department. I hope they have enough land for a deer farm, just in case.

That is generous Bills by 40, imagine the number of deer burgher patties you can get out of that herd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

some PG's still available Id take

Kujuan Clements JR Eastern ILL,  8.3 ppg, 4.5 asists, 31 mpg 

Mike Depersia, JR IUPUI, 6.4 POINTS, 3.5 assists, 37% 3, 30 mpg

Henry Abrahams - FR Eastern ILL, averaged 6 points, 2.7 assists and 33 mpg, 38% 3

Marko Andric - SO Little Rock, 5 points, 2.5 assists, 17 mpg, 40% 3

Braelson Bush SO Mcneese state.  5.7 ppg, 3.3 assist,  41% 3, 19 mpg

Dominique Alexander - SR Chicago st. 8 points, 2.6 assists 27 mpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I am confident that ford will find a point guard. plenty of names out there, might be a solid high school grad who is a solid ball handler , pure point guard type. this might be a year to steal one because of the number of transfers in the portal, likely some high schoolers getting overlooked

Is there any indication that Ford is currently looking for an additional point guard? (like have we had any recent offers to transfer or Freshman point guards?)

I'm honestly just wondering and haven't been following recent offers closely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

some PG's still available Id take

Kujuan Clements JR Eastern ILL,  8.3 ppg, 4.5 asists, 31 mpg 

Mike Depersia, JR IUPUI, 6.4 POINTS, 3.5 assists, 37% 3, 30 mpg

Henry Abrahams - FR Eastern ILL, averaged 6 points, 2.7 assists and 33 mpg, 38% 3

Marko Andric - SO Little Rock, 5 points, 2.5 assists, 17 mpg, 40% 3

Braelson Bush SO Mcneese state.  5.7 ppg, 3.3 assist,  41% 3, 19 mpg

Dominique Alexander - SR Chicago st. 8 points, 2.6 assists 27 mpg

These are guys from a list I posted in a different thread a while back that are still available (no indication SLU is interested):

Desi Sills SR Arkansas St, 30pmg, 12.6 ppg, 2.8 assists, 1.8 steals, 3.6 rpg

Dom London SR Maryland-Eastern Shore, 30 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 2.0 assists, 1.2 steals, 3.4 rpg

EJ Clark SR Alabama St, 20 mpg, 8 ppg, 2.0 assists, 42% from 3

Sills is my personal favorite of what is left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

F..k a back up pg. It is no longer needed we have a Hoosier guarantee. 

Unfortunately a player will miss games due to illness/injury.  I am sorry I am not allowed to tell you which player nor if it will be illness or injury. 

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'm willing to provide 1,000,000 Schrute Bucks in compensation to you personally if Yuri is injured or sick and cannot play!  

You got OG pretty good on that one.  He doesn’t have a clue.  I wonder if he knows who Michael Scott is?

Bills By 40 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems like every player who goes through the NBA evaluation process, who is not a big, is told that they will improve their stock with NBA teams by having PG experience.  This may not be limited to college players going through the NBA evaluation process, as recruits also seem to want to know if they will be allowed to play PG and seem to want to push for a coach promising him time at the PG position.  I wonder if one of the conditions that Perkins gave Coach Ford for coming back was that he wanted time at PG.

billiken_roy likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

May I ask what a Schrute Buck is, some kind of deer perhaps, or is it Cybercoin? And by the way there is no contractual obligation to do anything to compensate me personally. The injured party will be the SLU team or Athletic Department. I hope they have enough land for a deer farm, just in case.

That is generous Bills by 40, imagine the number of deer burgher patties you can get out of that herd.

Schrute  Bucks can be used as legal tender in transactions for Nissan Xterras or Message Board betting.  Also it has been known to be used in beet acquisition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I am in favor of letting Thames get the back up PG minutes. Throw him in the mix and see what happens. We need to start letting some Freshmen get some minutes.

 

I too am all in favor of developing the 6'7" freshman PG who has the opportunity to learn behind the best PG in the country. If we don't develop freshmen and give them some PT we will struggle to recruit good freshmen. 

 

Sure, it's a risk, but outside of injury I have no problem letting Thames have <10MPG as backup PG.  

slufan13 and Scoop like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

 I hope they have enough land for a deer farm, just in case.

I'd suggest they call it Schrute Farms but I reckon they'd run into some copyright issues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It seems like every player who goes through the NBA evaluation process, who is not a big, is told that they will improve their stock with NBA teams by having PG experience.  This may not be limited to college players going through the NBA evaluation process, as recruits also seem to want to know if they will be allowed to play PG and seem to want to push for a coach promising him time at the PG position.  I wonder if one of the conditions that Perkins gave Coach Ford for coming back was that he wanted time at PG.

I wonder if this had anything to do with Yuri looking elsewhere...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I am in favor of letting Thames get the back up PG minutes. Throw him in the mix and see what happens. We need to start letting some Freshmen get some minutes.

I’m not worried about the following years. Each player is on a year by year contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...