Ray Giacoletti Retires

44 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Recruiting is time consuming and almost a year round travel job.  For a coach with a family it isn't a fun gig.  Many more veteran coaches are going this route to limit their travel.

But it is a pretty big pay cut.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I say no on Weber.

His performed well with recruits that were borderline college students and wored at schools that encouraged this recruiting tactic.  Think Bob Huggins lite.  Does that type of player fit into SLU?  Not in many instances.

Say what you will about Weber, K-State, its academic standing and its overall stature in the Big XII and P6. But when I think of schools with seemingly low standards for their student athletes Illinois, SIU-C and Purdue aren't top of mind.

10 hours ago, Compton said:

Say what you will about Weber, K-State, its academic standing and its overall stature in the Big XII and P6. But when I think of schools with seemingly low standards for their student athletes Illinois, SIU-C and Purdue aren't top of mind.

Weber had multiple partial and non qualifiers at SIUC.  His best teams featured out state kids who were overlooked and city kids who were academically at risk that other schools wouldn't take.

At Illinois he was eventually forced to go this route as well. Players had to transfer out, he had a lot of issues with questionable guys at Illinois which is why he was forced out.

35 minutes ago, thetorch said:

At Illinois he was eventually forced to go this route as well. Players had to transfer out, he had a lot of issues with questionable guys at Illinois which is why he was forced out.

Why would a school force him out for his recruiting tactics, if it encouraged those same recruiting tactics? That's a strange way to show encouragement.

Targeting out state kids who are overlooked seems like a reasonable approach. Fred Thatch comes to mind.

28 minutes ago, Compton said:

Why would a school force him out for his recruiting tactics, if it encouraged those same recruiting tactics? That's a strange way to show encouragement.

Targeting out state kids who are overlooked seems like a reasonable approach. Fred Thatch comes to mind.

Recruiting questionable guys is encouraged if the teams wins.  As soon as the team doesn't, it is used as an excuse to force you out.  Weber's last 5 years at Illinois included 3 missed NCAA tournaments and only one NCAA tournament win.  That's not going to cut it when your players are also having issues like this: Smith faces felony DUI, other charges

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Recruiting questionable guys is encouraged if the teams wins.  As soon as the team doesn't, it is used as an excuse to force you out.  Weber's last 5 years at Illinois included 3 missed NCAA tournaments and only one NCAA tournament win.  That's not going to cut it when your players are also having issues like this: Smith faces felony DUI, other charges

This

Weber started taking flyers on highly rated questionable players while at Illinois.  He didn't win with them and all the bad publicity they caused led to his ouster.  He goes to K St and recruits similar but slightly less highly rated guys and he's fine.  Less pressure to win at K St and they are used to their athletes having questionable ethics.

I assume at this point the best approach is to have an assistant with a deal in place but not formally hired so that he can be around more throughout the summer? 2 weeks with an opening so a little surprised we haven't heard more.

51 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I assume at this point the best approach is to have an assistant with a deal in place but not formally hired so that he can be around more throughout the summer? 2 weeks with an opening so a little surprised we haven't heard more.

I'm pretty sure Tate didn't "officially" sign til later when Ford hired him. Could it be he isn't bound by official rules if he hasn't officially signed yet?

AGB91 and slufan13 like this

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SLURadioBoy said:

I didn’t know if this is SLU related or not, but could be interesting.

That is the position beside assistant coach SLU has had listed for several weeks.  I assume that means Nunez has moved up to DBO position that Wilson left.

SLURadioBoy likes this

Roby wouldn't leap frog Nunez for an assistant job. There's usually a step between grad assistant and recruiting assistant, and that's the DBO-DPD tier, or something like video coordinator. Some schools might have other jobs/titles, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ACE said:

So is Will Bailey coming back or not? That would be an excellent addition. If so, then I will stop whining on this board about not having an assistant with Chicago and/or East Coast connections! 

I think Bailey went to UMASS with Martin.

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

So is Will Bailey coming back or not? That would be an excellent addition. If so, then I will stop whining on this board about not having an assistant with Chicago and/or East Coast connections! 

West Pine Bills on twitter is posting Bailey is back and his evidence is that Bailey has been wiped from the UMass site.

I would post the tweet but I have not figured that out yet.

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thank you for posting the tweet I tried posting the tweet and twitter flagged my account as spam and locked my account, lol.

I appealed and quickly got it unlocked but older people and twitter can be dangerous.