Ray Giacoletti Retires

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Also with St. Louis area ties: Paul Lusk.

Chris Lowery would have been a solid candidate, but Mo. State got him.

True, but Lusk is an AC at Purdue.  I'm assuming SLU would not be able to lure him away.  Similarly I didn't list former Ford AC at OSU Bill Grier who is an AC at Colorado. 

I had only listed former Ford ACs from his last couple years at OSU because that's all I could find before.  Other former Ford ACs that I've been able to dig up now:

Tim Maloney (AC UMass) - As far as I can tell hasn't coached at the D1 level since at least 2018 & might currently be a HS coach.

Steve Middleton (AC EKU, AC UMass, AC OSU) - Hasn't coached at the college level since 2014 currently a HS coach.

Adam Ginsburg (AC UMass) - Currently an AC at NYU.  He'd fit the east coast profile, but kind of underwhelming resume of stops as an AC.

James Altman (AC EKU, DBO UMass, video coordinator OSU) - Also currently an AC at NYU.  His resume is more underwhelming than Ginsburg.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Someone with ties to Mark Few, Jay Wright, Davidson, or any of the teams with a modern offense.

I like the idea of a Villanova guy who has east coast ties.  Looking at the recent ACs there though the pickins are slim because they generally retain ACs for multiple years and promote from within.  Only former AC I can find who isn't currently a HC elsewhere would be Ashley Howard (recently fired LaSalle coach).  Despite his rough go with LaSalle, Howard would actually be a really good hire IMO if we could land him.  Another guy with Nova ties who would've been interesting is Matt Fraschilla (never an AC at Nova, but was on staff as a DBO for multiple years), but he was just recently hired as an AC at Harvard.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I like the idea of a Villanova guy who has east coast ties.  Looking at the recent ACs there though the pickins are slim because they generally retain ACs for multiple years and promote from within.  Only former AC I can find who isn't currently a HC elsewhere would be Ashley Howard (recently fired LaSalle coach).  Despite his rough go with LaSalle, Howard would actually be a really good hire IMO if we could land him.  Another guy with Nova ties who would've been interesting is Matt Fraschilla (never an AC at Nova, but was on staff as a DBO for multiple years), but he was just recently hired as an AC at Harvard.

I really like this idea.

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

We don’t need a recruiter, we need a strategy guy, someone who can help coach us thru a game. I think it’s fair to say Ford needs help in that area. A name that won’t excite anyone that I like is Bob Sundvold. 

I don't necessarily disagree on the strategy guy point.  However, Sundvold is 66 years old.   Ray Giacoletti who just retired from the AC job is 60 years old.

13 minutes ago, DOC said:

We don’t need a recruiter, we need a strategy guy, someone who can help coach us thru a game. I think it’s fair to say Ford needs help in that area. A name that won’t excite anyone that I like is Bob Sundvold. 

I do not think it fair to say this, i suppose they hire asst to help, but again the mbms here need to check the record, the bills did have a winning record apparently in spite of the coach's deficiencies

43 minutes ago, DOC said:

Looks like he had one winning season in four @ UMKC and UMSL has won the GLVC once (2019-20) since he took over in 2013. Not sure that's the kind of strategy we need.

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Maybe Larry Brown is tired of all the drama in Memphis.

I think somebody like this would make perfect sense. Phil Marteli i to Michigan would be a good example. Sodi at UVA would be another example. Someone who knows the game but maybe didn't win enough or recruit well enough to keep their job. 

Was going to mention  Bruiser Flint, just because of Bruiser name( just to like a guy named Bruiser), East Coast and A-10 ties.  

Knew he was up for a recent HC opening.

Saw he is now an Assistant or Associate at Kentucky, so he is probably making more than Ford there

-for those advocating a strategy assistant to replace CGiacoletti, do you think CFord takes this sort of advice from his assistants?  I understand the assistants take turns on scouting reports but I would be surprised, probably shocked, if ways to play against a scouted opponent or in-game tactics from others are used by CFord

Marlow and billiken_roy like this

20 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have no idea what to think of this retirement. It will be interesting to see how the team changes with a new coach. Hopefully, we do not regress. Not sure who to expect, but Cuonzo is available. Also, that weird Conklin tweet might make more sense if he gets hired. Interesting.

If Cuonzo showed up on the Bills’ staff, Pickett would be charged.

20 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have no idea what to think of this retirement. It will be interesting to see how the team changes with a new coach. Hopefully, we do not regress. Not sure who to expect, but Cuonzo is available. Also, that weird Conklin tweet might make more sense if he gets hired. Interesting.

If Cuonzo showed up on the Bills’ staff, Pickett would be charged.

Just throwing this out there... Joe Dooley , former East Carolina and FGCU coach..Was a finalist ? , for SLU job when Ford was hired .... has Midwest roots , assistant at KU..

13 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know. What did Giacolletti recruit, international players? If so, one would think that Conklin would have a leg up on most assistants. I thought Giacolletti was on the staff for his X’s and O’s Contribution. If so, I am not sure who would be the best replacement. I noted Cuonzo, but in the current environment, I am not sure where we could turn. Someone with ties to Mark Few, Jay Wright, Davidson, or any of the teams with a modern offense.

Martin would have to give up a lot of what mizzou owes I believe 

14 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

his track record supports your thoughts cowboy. good post

So giacoletti was a great x and o guy but coach ford ignored him? if that is the case it wont matter who they bring in if the new coach's opinions are ignored.  so if ford would have heeded ray's advise the bills would have been national champs

44 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

So giacoletti was a great x and o guy but coach ford ignored him? if that is the case it wont matter who they bring in if the new coach's opinions are ignored.  so if ford would have heeded ray's advise the bills would have been national champs

at least been better.   i say find a recruiter.   at least keep up the trend of bringing in good players. 

15 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-for those advocating a strategy assistant to replace CGiacoletti, do you think CFord takes this sort of advice from his assistants?  I understand the assistants take turns on scouting reports but I would be surprised, probably shocked, if ways to play against a scouted opponent or in-game tactics from others are used by CFord

Then why would he have hired him to begin with? Let me list a Ford coaching strength that is never mentioned and that’s inbound plays under our opponent’s basket.