Ray Giacoletti Retires

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Compton said:

Has he ever coached a college basketball game? If not he's not qualified. 

Was hoping Will Bailey was available, but it looks like he went with Frank Martin to UMass.

Agree.  Phil Forte has 3 years coaching experience. Coach Tate has 11 years of JUCO and what, 7 years at D1. We need someone to at least bridge that gap, or preferably bring more D1 experience to the staff.

I'd like someone with east coast ties who can recruit guys out of the A10 footprint similar to Van Macon on Ford's 1st staff.

Random names that don't fit that profile and aren't likely to be the hire, but are fun / interesting for one reason or another:

Former Ford ACs: Butch Pierre, James Dickey (probably too old)

SLU ties: Conklin, Jamall Walker, Corey Frazier, Larry Hughes Sr, Justin Tatum, Erwin Claggett, Anthony Bonner, Kevin Lisch (Aussie pipeline?), Fred Thatch Jr (player/coach why not?)

St Louis ties: Terrell Ramey (to bring Courney with him), Drew Hanlen (highly doubtful he'd be interested), Alex Bazzell

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Strange time for this to happen.  Makes me think something is already in the works for that slot.

Giacoletti's euro recruiting ties were always hyped.  We lose out on Crespin and Giac retires soon after.  Unrelated?  Maybe not.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2022/06/01/evansville-purple-aces-marcus-wilson-joins-david-ragland-staff/7462411001/

Wilson is quite happy with his new gig at Evansville.  He gets to see his retired jersey daily.  He is helping his good friend David Ragland rebuild the Aces.  Another of his Evansville teammates, Craig Snow, was also hired.   He ain't coming to SLU.

almaman likes this

30 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have no idea what to think of this retirement. It will be interesting to see how the team changes with a new coach. Hopefully, we do not regress. Not sure who to expect, but Cuonzo is available. Also, that weird Conklin tweet might make more sense if he gets hired. Interesting.

If you are looking for an ex-SLU player to get the job, Roby makes more sense.  Ford coached him for 2 years and Ford hired him as a GA.  He is from Memphis, which has a good number of solid players annually. 

I'm still hoping for someone with much more coaching experience than Roby (or Conklin).

14 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

St Louis ties: Terrell Ramey (to bring Courney with him), Drew Hanlen (highly doubtful he'd be interested), Alex Bazzell

Also with St. Louis area ties: Paul Lusk.

Chris Lowery would have been a solid candidate, but Mo. State got him.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Neither Roby or Conklin are going to get an recruiting assistant job at SLU at this point. With the DBO position and this we currently have two open staff positions.

I don’t know. What did Giacolletti recruit, international players? If so, one would think that Conklin would have a leg up on most assistants. I thought Giacolletti was on the staff for his X’s and O’s Contribution. If so, I am not sure who would be the best replacement. I noted Cuonzo, but in the current environment, I am not sure where we could turn. Someone with ties to Mark Few, Jay Wright, Davidson, or any of the teams with a modern offense.

Who on the roster were Giacoletti guys? I know he had intl ties. Was Linssen his? Other than that, no real Ws. 

My point isn’t meant to be negative on Giacoletti - more this: the coach we bring in doesn’t have to be a recruiter. Just one that makes the staff better. I like Ankiel’s point and I think WPBs share a similar sentiment on Twitter. Someone who can make the guys who are here better. Someone who can scheme O. 

43 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know. What did Giacolletti recruit, international players? If so, one would think that Conklin would have a leg up on most assistants.

Has Conklin ever recruited anyone, international or otherwise? If not it's hard to see that giving him a leg up.