Spread the word

The NIT championship team has a much better case than the football team.

Outside of winning the most games there isn't much of a case. Football was east coast ivy league based and they had by far the best teams. SLU's team was top 25 at best, maybe not even the best team in the midwest, Wisconsin was probably better.

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The NIT championship team has a much better case than the football team.

Outside of winning the most games there isn't much of a case. Football was east coast ivy league based and they had by far the best teams. SLU's team was top 25 at best, maybe not even the best team in the midwest, Wisconsin was probably better.

Wasn’t this the SLU football team that had the best players from Wisconsin’s team the year before?  SLU and Wisconsin shared two opponents that season and SLU margin of victory against each was larger.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Wasn’t this the SLU football team that had the best players from Wisconsin’s team the year before?  SLU and Wisconsin shared two opponents that season and SLU margin of victory against each was larger.

The coach at SLU was the best player at Wisconsin several years before.  The Halfback who threw the passes for SLU had played for Wisconsin 3 years before.  To the best of my knowledge there was not an en masse transfer to SLU from Wisconsin.

19 hours ago, Brighton said:

Should do the same for the 1948 basketball team too.

If somebody wants to correct me on this then do so. The 1948 team won the NIT but the NCAA started their national championship tournament so while we and perhaps some other teams choose to play in the more then prestigious NIT the NCAA did crown their winner the national champion. 

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

The coach at SLU was the best player at Wisconsin several years before.  The Halfback who threw the passes for SLU had played for Wisconsin 3 years before.  To the best of my knowledge there was not an en masse transfer to SLU from Wisconsin.

I believe that a large number of starters were former Wisconsin players.  The Coach Eddie Cochems became sort of notorious for stealing players from other programs and supposedly using professional players.  It lead to him leaving SLU after three season and pretty much getting blackballed out of college football as other programs started to refuse to play Blue and White as they were known.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I believe that a large number of starters were former Wisconsin players.  The Coach Eddie Cochems became sort of notorious for stealing players from other programs and supposedly using professional players.  It lead to him leaving SLU after three season and pretty much getting blackballed out of college football as other programs started to refuse to play Blue and White as they were known.

So Eddie Cochems was 115 years ahead of his time. Today, he could just get the money funneled through NIL deals, just like every SEC football program…

brianstl and AGB91 like this