Midtown Madness: Interview with Rebecca Tillett, Head Women's Basketball Coach

I strongly recommend this one if you're at all interested in the WBB program (or even if you're not, give it a listen and maybe you will be). I know there have been a lot of different opinions since her hiring was announced about whether she was a good hire, about her staffing decisions, about whether her success at Longwood will translate, and about what it all means for the program and athletic department. I'm curious to see whether those opinions are changed or reinforced by this.

She gave us just about an hour. I'm pleased with the questions we asked and how we asked them. We didn't hold back from some of our most pressing concerns, but we weren't confrontational.

I hope people enjoy it.

Some personnel-related tidbits from the interview:

-Tillett's daughter is on scholarship at SLU. She didn't play at Longwood last season due to stress fractures. RS freshman.
-Both other Longwood transfers should translate well to this level. One scored 18 PPG in each of 3 seasons there and the other would've been a higher-level recruit if not for the pandemic, so they got lucky by getting her.
-They expect to sign a couple more players very soon.
-They're still looking for a video coordinator.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Some personnel-related tidbits from the interview:

-Tillett's daughter is on scholarship at SLU. She didn't play at Longwood last season due to stress fractures. RS freshman.
-Both other Longwood transfers should translate well to this level. One scored 18 PPG in each of 3 seasons there and the other would've been a higher-level recruit if not for the pandemic, so they got lucky by getting her.
-They expect to sign a couple more players very soon.
-They're still looking for a video coordinator.

If Tillet's daughter is on scholarship, then aren't all 13 used?  I assume signing players would be for the 2023 class?

Copying/editing this from my post over from the Tillett hiring thread:

1. Marisa Warren 5'8" G - returning

2. Peyton Kennedy 5'11" F - returning

3. Julia Martinez 5'10" G - returning

4. Sevval Gul 6'4" F - returning

5. Kiley Bess 6'0" G - returning

6. Sarah Lazar 6'2" F - returning

7. Brook Flowers 6'5" F/C - returning

8. Kyla McMakin 5'11' G - transfer in from Longwood

9. Kennedy Calhoun 5'5" PG - transfer in from Longwood

10. Isabel Tillett's 5'9" G - transfer in from Longwood

11. Ashleigh Conner 5'11" G - incoming freshman

12. Abby Liber 5'11" G/F - incoming freshman

13. Mia Nicastro 6'2" G/F - incoming freshman

12 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Several websites on the internet say the limit for men’s BB is 13, for women’s BB it’s 15.

Well crap.  I just assumed they were the same.  I wasn't even trying to be dumb / sexist in assuming that.  I'm fairly certain SLU WBB team had just 13 players on scholarship this past season.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Well crap.  I just assumed they were the same.  I wasn't even trying to be dumb / sexist in assuming that.  I'm fairly certain SLU WBB team had just 13 players on scholarship this past season.

Some coaches don't use all 15 because it is hard to find time/keep happy 15 players. 

17 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Some coaches don't use all 15 because it is hard to find time/keep happy 15 players. 

Yeah, but if so, with all the injuries, that was sure the wrong answer last year. The last two games at home, the bench was 1 healthy player against St Joseph, 2 against UMass.  

This has made me curious, did Coach Stone think only 13 were enough going into the season (Kent left in April or May, Clark in August I think)?  Was she simply unable to find anyone who wanted to come play for SLU until Prifti and Nwora came in mid-season?  Or was there some cost cutting limit on scholarships imposed on her from above? Not sure we’ll ever know the answer unless someone with inside knowledge speaks up.  

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There might also be players using COVID bonus years who don't count against the limit. I'm not 100% sure.

Flowers doesn't count against the limit.