Welcome Jake forrester!

wgstl

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree on your scenario's.  The primary player that I believe is the most likely to return is Thatch, as he is obviously focused on his Doctorate.  After him, flip a coin.

Jimerson should graduate following this next season, so yes, open season for him.

The new wrinkle that has occurred in NCAA->Pro basketball is that players can now likely make as much or more $$ from NIL money than they can going to Europe or the G-League.  True, both foreign and G-League gives you a better chance at reaching the NBA, but those that do are few.

I don't agree with this. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I didn't suggest that your pessimism wasn't justified ;) us MBM's have been through a lot, so I guess for that reason the least I can ask for is unbridled early-off season optimism

There's a serious chance we lose Yuri to the NBA/G-league after this season, I'd like to think a drastically greater chance than there is of him leaving for another school. I'd like to see Gibby stay but he could have legitimate pro opportunities after this season in almost anywhere besides America. I guess we'll see where his priorities land after this season. Hoping Thames can develop into something legit this season, learning from Yuri is a good start towards making that happen. 

Gibby’s a pretty smart kid. I can see him looking for a GT to an Ivy for his MBA in some area that SLU’s program doesn’t offer.  Not sure what that would be but if not doable, he just enters the portal and ends up taking a bunch of MBA classes say at Harvard. I read somewhere he wants to pursue  a career in finance. A Harvard MBA would be a good first step. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Gibby’s a pretty smart kid. I can see him looking for a GT to an Ivy for his MBA in some area that SLU’s program doesn’t offer.  Not sure what that would be but if not doable, he just enters the portal and ends up taking a bunch of MBA classes say at Harvard. I read somewhere he wants to pursue  a career in finance. A Harvard MBA would be a good first step. 

You're acting like a SLU education isn't valuable these days - he'll likely want to be somewhere where basketball prospects and educational value are equals...aka SLU. Gibby has serious post-college basketball prospects.  

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Are we forgetting he averaged 16 ppg as a Freshman*?  Lets play this game where he does Transfer to a premier academic school for his last year or so. Harvard would not be the school I would think he would go to.  More like Duke, Notre Dame, UCLA, Virginia or Michigan.  

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'm pretty sure Ivies don't allow graduate students to play sports.  They had a one-time waiver this past season because of COIVD, but their rule in the past has  been graduate students can't participate in athletics.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30881880/ivy-league-allowing-one-waiver-grad-students-play-2021-22-due-pandemic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

There are lots of big name MBA schools in the Ivy league, they all have different "flavors." For example Wharton (U. of Pennsylvania) emphasizes global issues as part of their curriculum which is Keynesian in approach. The Columbia Busness School is strong in finance, particularly value investing, mostly neoclassical. Harvard Business School deals with money flow management, I believe they are primarily Keynesian. Not in the Ivy's but extremely good in their own way, the MIT Sloan School of Business emphasizes mathematical approaches to the economy and the market. It was the birthplace of the Black Scholes model. The Chicago Booth School of Business, not in the IVY, is the home of Neoclassical theory of economics stressing value. The Chicago School system was championed by Milton Friedman. You should choose what "flavor" of business and economic education you want before you transfer.

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

You're acting like a SLU education isn't valuable these days - he'll likely want to be somewhere where basketball prospects and educational value are equals...aka SLU. Gibby has serious post-college basketball prospects.  

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Not at all. But, in the finance world an Ivy education is highly valued on Wall Street. 

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

There are lots of big name MBA schools in the Ivy league, they all have different "flavors." For example Wharton (U. of Pennsylvania) emphasizes global issues as part of their curriculum which is Keynesian in approach. The Columbia Busness School is strong in finance, particularly value investing, mostly neoclassical. Harvard Business School deals with money flow management, I believe they are primarily Keynesian. Not in the Ivy's but extremely good in their own way, the MIT Sloan School of Business emphasizes mathematical approaches to the economy and the market. It was the birthplace of the Black Scholes model. The Chicago Booth School of Business, not in the IVY, is the home of Neoclassical theory of economics stressing value. The Chicago School system was championed by Milton Friedman. You should choose what "flavor" of business and economic education you want before you transfer.

Every now and then you amaze me OLD GUY. 

Where you might decide to go get your MBA really is more a function of what your long term goals are and where you want to be.  If you have no interest in being on Wall Street then you have lots of very good options outside of the east coast.  If you want to be in SF then a Stanford degree would be very beneficial.  If you want to be in Chicago then NW or U of Chicago will be very good.  If you want to be in Boston then all those east coast schools mentioned would work well.  Just saying an Ivy school is the best simply is not true.  What I have found is people tend to hire from places they have an association with more than just simply looking at a name.  

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, willie said:

Every now and then you amaze me OLD GUY. 

15 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Neoclassical value investing…love it!  Old Guy is feeling it tonight…kind of like Nesbitt in the first half up in Olean…. ;)  

Thank you both, I have been trading since I was in my Internal Medicine residency, it was both entertainment and a source of extra income. I thank you for your responses above, I assume you liked my post about the "flavors" of MBA schools.

By the way, this  applies elsewhere. Let's take cancer research and advanced therapy methodology. The GOOD places all treat similar cancers but they all have different aims and approaches as to how they do it (different "flavors"). They also tend to specialize in specific types of CA. You do not get the same therapy or the same dosages or the same results for a triple negative stage 4 breast CA (check this in Google) at Sloan Kettering, or Dana Farber, or MD Andersen, or Wash U (all of them first line research and advanced CA treatment centers).

HoosierPal likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on the board in the off season...  

I think he will be a nice addition.

This is a tough analysis.  Because of his limited playing time , his numbers come up as NM-S3...Not meaningful -small sample size.  Not to worry...throwing in a dab of Bayesian analysis , I can work my magic.

Here are some of the issues....in 3 of his 4 seasons he played 16 or less games...13, 26, 16, 15.....Min/gm...4, 17, 21, 16...2P%  51.5%-56.7%...FT%  49.7- 66.7%

Slash line=2P%/FT%...no 3PA ...so a short line....I did not include his Frosh yr at IU because he only played 13 games for a total of 55 min for the year.  After the %s are the grades based on all D1 shooting in that category.

20-21...56.7% (A+) /66.7% (F+) ...best year......342 min

21-22....51.5% (B) / 62.5 (F- ).....worst year....246 min

19-20....53.3% (A ) / 49.3 (F- )...most playing time...448 min

So here we are limited playing time and numbers all over the place...

Here are his projected 22-23 numbers

54.7 % ( A+ ) / 64.1% ( F ) plus 3-4 rebs/gm

Bottom line....He can be a difference maker...kind of a Linssen without the FT shooting. Even if he has a bad season (51.5%) he still comes in with a grade of B which helps.

Speaking of FT shooting ...one caveat ...he can not be in the game in the final few minutes if it is close and a fouling situation.

The Wiz says ...Jake is a good get.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Old guy said:

Just remember, HBS turned down a young 19 year-old from Omaha named Warren Buffett. And Columbia lets them know about that mistake quite often :) 

58 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Just remember, HBS turned down a young 19 year-old from Omaha named Warren Buffett. And Columbia lets them know about that mistake quite often :) 

There is no question that there is a very high level of competition and "I am better than you" kind of thing among Ivy's. For example in the crash of 2008-2009 Harvard's Nobel prizes in charge of managing their endowment did an extremely poor job and lost tons of endowment money. This means they did no better than the standard guy and his financial advisor did, despite Harvard managers "superior knowledge." On the other hand Yale's endowment, under Swensen's (spelling?) management performed reasonably well, a lot better than Harvard's. It should be pointed that Swensen, like Lynch, Buffet, Munger, etc., never had, or was considered, for a Nobel prize. Harvard eventually fired their managers with their titles and awards and proceeded to adopt a copycat Yale style endowment management strategy.

To cap this brief discussion about approaches to money management, what worked in the crash of 2008-2009 may or may not work (probably not in my opinion) at the time of the next big crash, which will surely come someday.

5 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

BilliesBy40, some people should not be followed. It is ironic but the picture of the soldier/athlete displayed in this article is, I believe, that of a man that was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan (?). This does happen in combat and elsewhere, bullets go a long way after they miss their  target.

BilliesBy40 and leemalvoSLU like this

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, bauman said:

I spent the morning trying to figure out if Forrester has one or two years of eligibility and can't find a credible answer.  Do any of you Billikens.com MBM's know the answer for sure?

This is his last year.