Welcome Jake forrester!

wgstl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, almaman said:

sounds like we're back to dozen players fighting it out for the 200 minutes with 140 spoken for amongst top 4. there are far worse predicament 2b in many we've already suffered thru. let's play the too much talent thing for a few decades see if anything happens :)

I would hope it’s more like 120 minutes from the top 4.

Collins - 35                                                            
Okoro - 25      
Jimerson - 30    
Perkins - 30.                                                               

dennis_w likes this

3 hours ago, almaman said:

sounds like we're back to dozen players fighting it out for the 200 minutes with 140 spoken for amongst top 4. there are far worse predicament 2b in many we've already suffered thru. let's play the too much talent thing for a few decades see if anything happens :)

Hopefully Ford doesn't see it that way.  Let them earn minutes on the practice floor!

19 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Cold water alert: Forrester only played in 4 conference games this past season.  His stats were largely compiled against weaker non-conference competition.  I really like the addition and think he is a great fit, but I'm not seeing anything in his stats that makes me think he will for sure be better than Linssen.  That's not an insult.  Linssen was really good.

Temple played some solid teams in non-con (somewhat similar to us), playing Vandy, Clemson, USC, and Boise State, as well as LaSalle and St. Joe's. Not surprisingly, Jake had one of his best games last year against LaSalle.

2 minutes ago, Compton said:

Temple played some solid teams in non-con (somewhat similar to us), playing Vandy, Clemson, USC, and Boise State, as well as LaSalle and St. Joe's. Not surprisingly, Jake had one of his best games last year against LaSalle.

LaSalle was really bad last year, but that big matchup would have been a tough one. Clifton Moore can play. On both ends

25 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Apropos of nothing, I'd just like to point out that Jake Forrester is a solid name.  It has a mythical lumberjack quality to it.

Sounds like the name of the love interest in a Lifetime movie. She was NOT interested in him at first but eventually she figured out that they were perfect for each other

On 5/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, Box and Won said:

Apropos of nothing, I'd just like to point out that Jake Forrester is a solid name.  It has a mythical lumberjack quality to it.

Bill Simmons had the "Reggie Cleveland All-Stars" for white athletes whose names sounded black. Let's just say I was surprised to see a picture of Mr. Forrester

I feel we're underappreciating the commitment of Mr. Forrester. I know there's more to romanticize about a 7 footer with 4 years of eligibility but JF here is set to fill such a crucial role and the last time Ford & Co brought in a front court transfer it worked out pretty damn well.  

BuiltFordBills and Compton like this

51 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I feel we're underappreciating the commitment of Mr. Forrester. I know there's more to romanticize about a 7 footer with 4 years of eligibility but JF here is set to fill such a crucial role and the last time Ford & Co brought in a front court transfer it worked out pretty damn well.  

I tend to agree, but will we see pre or most covid Forrester. Either way Forrester will be the main back up, but pre covid Forrester may be better than Linnsen ever was for us. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I tend to agree, but will we see pre or most covid Forrester. Either way Forrester will be the main back up, but pre covid Forrester may be better than Linnsen ever was for us. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I texted my nephew, Sr at TU. Sports nut. Was not aware he was leaving. His response was “Noooooooo!”

Think we did good here.

mhg

majerus mojo likes this

On 5/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, wgstl said:

Given that we know at least the minimum we can expect from Okoro, I think our front court situation could play out one of a couple ways:

1) Okoro makes gradual offseason strides and makes a case for best big man in the A10

1b) Forrester plays to his post-covid level of expectations but is still equivalent to early-season Okoro or late season Linssen in terms of production

1c) Cisse doesn't earn minutes but has a ton of talent to compete against in practice 

------Scenario 1 is a huge net-positive where we have the best big man in the league and a secondary who starts or plays >/=20 mpg on a majority of teams in the league

2) Okoro returns as good as he was at the end of the season without any major improvements

2b) Forrester is able to play long stretches when Okoro is in foul trouble and hold his own

2c) Cisse shows enough to make Forrester fight for his minutes

------Scenario 2 gives us one of if not the best frontcourt in the conference and more than enough to complement our nationally competitive backcourt

3) Okoro makes as much improvement year over year as he did from non-conference to A10 play this past year and is a first team guy, nationally relevant player

3b) Forrester is an improvement upon healthy Linssen and demands 20mpg, competes for starting spot

3c) Cisse earns himself ~10MPG because he shows enough to warrant playing spells with a two-big rotation, returns next year to be an NBA prospect

I'm rolling with 3, blackout drunk on the kool aid

17 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Given that we know at least the minimum we can expect from Okoro, I think our front court situation could play out one of a couple ways:

1) Okoro makes gradual offseason strides and makes a case for best big man in the A10

1b) Forrester plays to his post-covid level of expectations but is still equivalent to early-season Okoro or late season Linssen in terms of production

1c) Cisse doesn't earn minutes but has a ton of talent to compete against in practice 

------Scenario 1 is a huge net-positive where we have the best big man in the league and a secondary who starts or plays >/=20 mpg on a majority of teams in the league

2) Okoro returns as good as he was at the end of the season without any major improvements

2b) Forrester is able to play long stretches when Okoro is in foul trouble and hold his own

2c) Cisse shows enough to make Forrester fight for his minutes

------Scenario 2 gives us one of if not the best frontcourt in the conference and more than enough to complement our nationally competitive backcourt

3) Okoro makes as much improvement year over year as he did from non-conference to A10 play this past year and is a first team guy, nationally relevant player

3b) Forrester is an improvement upon healthy Linssen and demands 20mpg, competes for starting spot

3c) Cisse earns himself ~10MPG because he shows enough to warrant playing spells with a two-big rotation, returns next year to be an NBA prospect

I'm rolling with 3, blackout drunk on the kool aid

i hope you are right.   imo if 3 doesnt happen, just based on cisse's nomadic past, he probably leaves if he isnt seeing the light.   

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i hope you are right.   imo if 3 doesnt happen, just based on cisse's nomadic past, he probably leaves if he isnt seeing the light.   

That's the pessimist in you speaking. This screenshot is from his recruiting report, linked in his thread, that leads me to believe he knows exactly what role he's playing this year. 

image.png.33f73121fee70072c90d8307258e2741.png

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

That's the pessimist in you speaking. This screenshot is from his recruiting report, linked in his thread, that leads me to believe he knows exactly what role he's playing this year. 

hahahahaha  i agree.   and if you have been a billiken fan as long as me going through the ups and downs you would be jaded as well.   we cant all be willie.   (amazing view of billiken fandom)

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We will have a significant roster turnover for the 2023-24 season any way it goes, whomever gets minutes, and whomever sits on the bench.  We have 4 on their last year of eligibility, and of course 1, 2, 3 or 4 others will join them in the 'NIL Portal'.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

hahahahaha  i agree.   and if you have been a billiken fan as long as me going through the ups and downs you would be jaded as well.   we cant all be willie.   (amazing view of billiken fandom)

I didn't suggest that your pessimism wasn't justified ;) us MBM's have been through a lot, so I guess for that reason the least I can ask for is unbridled early-off season optimism

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We will have a significant roster turnover for the 2023-24 season any way it goes, whomever gets minutes, and whomever sits on the bench.  We have 4 on their last year of eligibility, and of course 1, 2, 3 or 4 others will join them in the 'NIL Portal'.

There's a serious chance we lose Yuri to the NBA/G-league after this season, I'd like to think a drastically greater chance than there is of him leaving for another school. I'd like to see Gibby stay but he could have legitimate pro opportunities after this season in almost anywhere besides America. I guess we'll see where his priorities land after this season. Hoping Thames can develop into something legit this season, learning from Yuri is a good start towards making that happen. 

12 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I didn't suggest that your pessimism wasn't justified ;) us MBM's have been through a lot, so I guess for that reason the least I can ask for is unbridled early-off season optimism

There's a serious chance we lose Yuri to the NBA/G-league after this season, I'd like to think a drastically greater chance than there is of him leaving for another school. I'd like to see Gibby stay but he could have legitimate pro opportunities after this season in almost anywhere besides America. I guess we'll see where his priorities land after this season. Hoping Thames can develop into something legit this season, learning from Yuri is a good start towards making that happen. 

I agree on your scenario's.  The primary player that I believe is the most likely to return is Thatch, as he is obviously focused on his Doctorate.  After him, flip a coin.

Jimerson should graduate following this next season, so yes, open season for him.

The new wrinkle that has occurred in NCAA->Pro basketball is that players can now likely make as much or more $$ from NIL money than they can going to Europe or the G-League.  True, both foreign and G-League gives you a better chance at reaching the NBA, but those that do are few.