Sounds like Conklin would like to coach, interesting!

On 5/13/2022 at 7:40 AM, Bizziken said:

How to set a pick 101 with coach Brian Conklin. 

That is an all time St. Louis sports moment for me.  The play, the call, the crowd it all came together perfectly to make a perfect sports moment. 

Ozzie’s “go crazy” home run!

Pat Maroon “Just put the city on his shoulders” OT winner! 

The Ricky Proehl NFC title game catch! 

And Brian Conklin leveling Wilcox are all videos I can watch to improve my mood.

Conklin would at least put someone on the staff who has played the low blocks and has experience.  Otherwsie, we have all guards.  I thought I heard Roby was on the way out at SLU.

26 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I thought I heard Roby was on the way out at SLU.

This makes it sound like Roby is getting fired or something.  Important to note that Roby is/was a graduate assistant.  This GA positions turn over quite regularly presumably because once the guy gets his grad degree your options are to hire him for a different position or he moves on.

A GA position is the most natural spot for Conklin to start given he has no experience on a D1 coaching staff.  I love Conklin as much as everyone else, but if he doesn’t wants to get into coaching he needs to start at the bottom & work his way up.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

This makes it sound like Roby is getting fired or something.  Important to note that Roby is/was a graduate assistant.  This GA positions turn over quite regularly presumably because once the guy gets his grad degree your options are to hire him for a different position or he moves on.

A GA position is the most natural spot for Conklin to start given he has no experience on a D1 coaching staff.  I love Conklin as much as everyone else, but if he doesn’t wants to get into coaching he needs to start at the bottom & work his way up.

Yes there are limitations on how long one can be a Graduate Assistant.  They have to be enrolled in a graduate program and have to be making progress towards their masters degree.  Typically it is a two year max term, but under some situations it can extend to three.  I'm not sure if their is much compensation directly from the basketball program as a salary except for the grad school tuition and fees.  GA's can make money elsewhere, or likely in camps.  Roby is listed as an enrolled Student in People Finder.

There is also a seven year window of time when a student with a bachelor's degree can serve as a GA.  I'm not sure, but i don't think Conklin fits into that window. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I believe Conklin already has a MBA and has about decade of playing in the pros overseas.  A GA is like a internship. He probably wants some sort of position he gets paid similar to Jensen. He does now have a family to support.

As far as I know, Roby and Wilson do not/did not have jobs that would allow recruiting.   I guess it could be a foot in the door for Conklin though.  Betting someone could get him a recruiting asst coach job though