NBA and G League Combine

There are two combines for aspiring players.  The G League Combine is held in Chicago May 15-17.  A select few from the G league combine are added to the list of NBA Combine Invites for the May 18-22 event.  The NBA typically invites around 60 to their combine although that number fluctuates annually.

Today the G League invite list was published.  https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-field-of-44-draft-prospects-for-2022-nba-g-league-elite-camp-in-chicago/

There are 44 names on this list, including Burton from Richmond, Hall from St. Joseph's, Lee from Davidson, and Williams from VCU.  No Collins  or Oduro on this G League invite list.

This full NBA Combine list hasn't been published yet.  Some names have trickled out and those players have been announcing such on social media.  If a player isn't invited to either combine, they still can have workouts with teams.

-Nice int'l flavor this year, with 7 non-US based prospects -All 5 G League Ignite prospects -Two Overtime Elite prospects -Youngest player: 18.4 years old -Oldest player: 22.8 years old -Most invites for one school: Duke (5), Gonzaga (4)

No A10 players on this list for the NBA Combine.  As stated above, a few of the G League Combine list will be invited to join this group.  Collins (and others) can still have private workouts with NBA teams.

I have seen St Joe's Hall and VCU's Williams as second round NBA selections on two different mock drafts.   

NBA drafts on potential.  Having said that, I don't see Hall as a point guard.  Sure, he led the team in assists at 5.8 apg but he played on a team of jup shooters.  In other words, catch and shoot.  He never impressed me as the guy who could get his teammates "involved."  And he seemed open to advanced defensive pressure.  But he does have more than adequate size and he is still young.  He'd be a flyer pick.

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I will eat my hat if anyone from St Joes is drafted.  They were legit terrible.  

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

You might want to call the Pelican's front office and tell them what you know.  Or perhaps, you can ask Emeril Lagasse to whip up a special cajun hat dish for you.😀

On 5/9/2022 at 2:17 PM, HoosierPal said:

There are two combines for aspiring players.  The G League Combine is held in Chicago May 15-17.  A select few from the G league combine are added to the list of NBA Combine Invites for the May 18-22 event.  The NBA typically invites around 60 to their combine although that number fluctuates annually.

Today the G League invite list was published.  https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-announces-field-of-44-draft-prospects-for-2022-nba-g-league-elite-camp-in-chicago/

There are 44 names on this list, including Burton from Richmond, Hall from St. Joseph's, Lee from Davidson, and Williams from VCU.  No Collins  or Oduro on this G League invite list.

This full NBA Combine list hasn't been published yet.  Some names have trickled out and those players have been announcing such on social media.  If a player isn't invited to either combine, they still can have workouts with teams.

When I first read the topic, I thought you were saying that the NBA and G-League were merging.  I knew it wasn't correct, but that is how it read.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Wanna bet that he does not get drafted? 

You are nervous?  Might look for an edible hat. 
I have simply supplied you with a mock draft. Why would I want to bet if Hall does or doesn’t get drafted? 

I think I'll leave you hanging out there by yourself.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

When I first read the topic, I thought you were saying that the NBA and G-League were merging.  I knew it wasn't correct, but that is how it read.

Just two  separate combine events, the G League and then the NBA event. 

Mock drafts are mock drafts but this one lists him as a shooting guard.  Uh, yeah, I don't think so.  Again, he has developmental skills and the one thing you can't teach, height.  

22 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Is this something JG could have been invited to, or is he a year past that opportunity?  I ask, because there are guys listed as being from the G-League.

The G League teams are those two teams set up for HS graduates that don't want to go to college. 

On a related G League topic, I wonder how NIL will impact these G League HS grad teams.  They can get a handsome paycheck (6 figures for some) in the G League, more than the average G player does.  If pay is about equal, do they go one and done in college or stay in the G League.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/04/14/nba-mock-draft-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero-jaden-ivey

Just another mock.  First one I have seen Burton being drafted, 2nd round #49 to the Timberwolves.  And I agree with RUBills, Lee may have a decent shot at the NBA.  I could see him getting an invite to a summer camp.  Yes, second round of mock drafts have a lot of guesses in them.

I always thought Burton was 'soft' but he's showed out pretty well over the last few years.  He's a tweener like a lot of NBA players and that's in his benefit.  Lee can indeed shoot and you are right, that's the NBA.  I can't help but wonder what a star he might be if he went to pro ball in Korea.  What ever became of Yuta Watanabee?  He played in the NBA for a while.  Is he still there?

I think these mock draft projections are dangerous for kids.  What if you have to decide to forfeit your remaining eligibility, you are projected for the second round, and no one calls your name?  At that point, it's free agent camps, try outs and training camp invites.  The main thing being is it takes you off the roster from your college team for sure.  Both Richmond and Davidson's outlooks change drastically without these two guys.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

What ever became of Yuta Watanabee?  He played in the NBA for a while.  Is he still there?

Watananbe appeared in 38 games for the Raptors this past season and 121 games total since his NBA career started as an undrafted free agent in 2018.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/watanyu01.html

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I always thought Burton was 'soft' but he's showed out pretty well over the last few years.  He's a tweener like a lot of NBA players and that's in his benefit.  Lee can indeed shoot and you are right, that's the NBA.  I can't help but wonder what a star he might be if he went to pro ball in Korea.  What ever became of Yuta Watanabee?  He played in the NBA for a while.  Is he still there?

I think these mock draft projections are dangerous for kids.  What if you have to decide to forfeit your remaining eligibility, you are projected for the second round, and no one calls your name?  At that point, it's free agent camps, try outs and training camp invites.  The main thing being is it takes you off the roster from your college team for sure.  Both Richmond and Davidson's outlooks change drastically without these two guys.

-well, with this I would expect that to either be challenged and the NCAA will change the rule or the entity that replaces the NCAA will not have this restriction 

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Watananbe appeared in 38 games for the Raptors this past season and 121 games total since his NBA career started as an undrafted free agent in 2018.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/watanyu01.html

And he ended up on the wrong end of an Anthony Edwards poster. 

Guess this was last year. Oops

I found a list of 17 NBA teams Pre-Combine workout invitees.  Lee is the most popular A10 player with 4 workouts before the combines (Nets, Warriors, Pacers and Kings) Hall (Pacers) and Burton (Kings) each have one.  Williams isn't on any of these 17 team lists.  13 other teams didn't have lists on this publication.

• 1 month later...