A10 Open To 16 Teams

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Are there any Canadian schools in the ncaa? 

Not that I know of.

They only play when schools go up north to play in the summer like we did back in the Majerus days.

Isn't Carlton supposed to be the 'Duke of Canada'?

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Temple in many ways would be great, but they aren't getting rid of football and how many teams do you need in Philly.

Yep. I've given up on the idea of Temple because of that. 

This has been an interesting, but predicatable, trading of comments.  We have pretty much covered this topic a bunch of times in other threads. 

1. The article says the A10 is OPEN to expansion, but doesn't say any more than that.  Will it happen?  Probably.  When the AAC implodes in a season or two, the dominos will fall again.  So my guess is more movement will follow.

2. The A10 will not contract. The only outgoing possibility would be UMass moving it's football to another conference and taking all sports with it.  The rest of the schools are staying, no matter how much you wish they would go away.

3. Belmont, a favored school from our midwest viewpoint, already spends 'A10 level' on their basketball program.  This article from Three Man Weave has them at $5.1 milllion, which is in the upper half of the A10.  They were outspending the OVC by 2x to 5x and are already at the top of the MVC.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

4. The Atlantic 10 is an east coast based league.  They will look first at schools on the east coast when they decide to expand. Belmont might be at the western most border for consideration, but my guess is that any expansion school will be from a state in the eastern 1/4 of the country.

41 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Not that I know of.

They only play when schools go up north to play in the summer like we did back in the Majerus days.

Isn't Carlton supposed to be the 'Duke of Canada'?

Theres a Canadian team in D2. 

Also as good as Carlton is, their head coach stepped down 2 years ago after a 20 year run. 

But think about University of Toronto. $3.15 Endowment, a crazy nice campus, Massive TV market, and with all the kids from Ontario coming to America for basketball, they could keep a ton of those kids. Sounds awesome and different. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also as good as Carlton is, their head coach stepped down 2 years ago after a 20 year run. 

But think about University of Toronto. $3.15 Endowment, a crazy nice campus, Massive TV market, and with all the kids from Ontario coming to America for basketball, they could keep a ton of those kids. Sounds awesome and different. 

Would be a logistical nightmare taking foreign born players (granted we don't have any right now) across national lines to play away games in Toronto. I know the staff had their work cut out for them with Cancun last year, and not like it's something they can't do but it certainly makes their jobs more difficult. That'd be a long road trip to make every other year and that Canadian team would be spending a lot of dollars on US trips

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

That'd be a long road trip to make every other year and that Canadian team would be spending a lot of dollars on US trips

It would be a really easy trip (outside of passport thing you noted on).  Toronto is very close to 90% of the schools.  And for us, easy flight, shorter flight for us than to Boston, PHLY or NYC. 

41 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It would be a really easy trip (outside of passport thing you noted on).  Toronto is very close to 90% of the schools.  And for us, easy flight, shorter flight for us than to Boston, PHLY or NYC. 

Just checked a map - forgot how close Toronto is. 

Why not Toronto? With the elimination of the 1 year sit out and the addition of NIL, college sports has basically become semi professional. All the pro sports leagues are looking to expand internationally, why not college teams? I think the A10 has to look at MW schools to add. It's only fair to SLU, Loyola, and Dayton to add MW teams to reduce the costs for the non revenue sports. Also, if the AAC does implode I can see both UMass and URI leaving to a new conference that plays FB. I wouldn't want to lose those schools, but it is what it is these days. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Why not Toronto? With the elimination of the 1 year sit out and the addition of NIL, college sports has basically become semi professional. All the pro sports leagues are looking to expand internationally, why not college teams? I think the A10 has to look at MW schools to add. It's only fair to SLU, Loyola, and Dayton to add MW teams to reduce the costs for the non revenue sports. Also, if the AAC does implode I can see both UMass and URI leaving to a new conference that plays FB. I wouldn't want to lose those schools, but it is what it is these days. 

You think Rhode Island is ready or willing to make the jump from FCS to FBS?  I haven't read or seen anything about that.  Richmond plays in the same CAA football that Rhody does.  Fordham, Dayton and Davidson also play FCS.  

UMass is already FBS, but has a hard enough time beating FCS teams (such as Rhode Island.)

File this under I don't think it will happen, but what about DePaul deciding that it will never be able to compete in the Big East and moving to the A-10.  They would add an instant rivalry with Loyola.  I could see them thinking that they have a better chance of having Dayton or VCU level success in the A-10 than being a perennial doormat in the Big East. 

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

I LOVE this idea

4 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Just checked a map - forgot how close Toronto is. 

Also, it’s only a little more than a 3 hour road trip to Olean.  The A-10 could pair Toronto and St. Bonaventure for conference road trips.  Our fans could fly into Toronto for that game, rent a car, and drive to Olean to watch the Billikens beat the Bonnies.

7 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

File this under I don't think it will happen, but what about DePaul deciding that it will never be able to compete in the Big East and moving to the A-10.  They would add an instant rivalry with Loyola.  I could see them thinking that they have a better chance of having Dayton or VCU level success in the A-10 than being a perennial doormat in the Big East. 

I somewhat question whether DePaul would be competitive in the A10… they feel more like a Detroit trajectory rather than a St Joes..

12 hours ago, Compton said:

Okoro was born in Nigeria.

I understand I said foreign born, but it's my understanding that Okoro has his citizenship, right? I'm saying guys on student visas with foreign passports - I don't think that applies to FO.

You can get paid in the US as a foreigner if you have the following: 1. permanent residency status (green card), 2. Some kind of work permit (which can be issued to students for specific purposes). You do not need to be a US citizen to be paid a salary in the US, and the US does allow dual citizenship status. I have no idea if people with dual or multiple citizenship status are required to  pay taxes by all the countries they are citizens of. This stuff gets very complicated.