A10 Open To 16 Teams

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Let’s hope not.

They've averaged a NET of 98 over the last 10 years.

I do not wish for Vermont because 1) way too far from here. 2) the arena seats only 3k. 3) brings in no TV market

What I would really like if we don't get one of the "big 4" schools mentioned in this thread is go after a Canadian school and see if any will switch to NCAA.  I think it would be unique and help the conference to stand out.  Also I think with basketball becoming more popular in Canada, they would get some decent talent. Just imagine getting A school from Toronto.

Fellas: expansion isn't a requirement. They don't HAVE to add a team. These suggestions of Howard, Vermont, Iona.... yikes. If they don't make the league better, don't do it. The only miss in expansion since SLU's been around is probably Mason. Every other addition has made the conference better. The list begins and ends wit Belmont, Murray, and Wichita State. All of the expansion talk is crazy to me. The league's problem is only having 6-8 teams (just a guess of a number, need to look at the list) who really invest in cbb. Adding more teams doesn't solve that

38 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Fellas: expansion isn't a requirement. They don't HAVE to add a team. These suggestions of Howard, Vermont, Iona.... yikes. If they don't make the league better, don't do it. The only miss in expansion since SLU's been around is probably Mason. Every other addition has made the conference better. The list begins and ends wit Belmont, Murray, and Wichita State. All of the expansion talk is crazy to me. The league's problem is only having 6-8 teams (just a guess of a number, need to look at the list) who really invest in cbb. Adding more teams doesn't solve that

Good point but honestly I am not sure Murray State or Wichita State are good picks.  I agree the others you mentioned are not either.  Wichita State - small TV market and Murray State is even smaller.  Butler being invited back makes the most sense to me.  Not sure if Belmont carries the Nashville market with Vandy there.

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Good point but honestly I am not sure Murray State or Wichita State are good picks.  I agree the others you mentioned are not either.  Wichita State - small TV market and Murray State is even smaller.  Butler being invited back makes the most sense to me.  Not sure if Belmont carries the Nashville market with Vandy there.

And Wichita spends at an elite level, while the other two have had some sustained success. I think the markets argument doesn't hold as much water for a high mid like the a10

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Guarantee they'd win more of the market with a better TV deal and competition, and those two things would lead to better recruiting and in turn success. I love the add of Belmont, but maybe also because I want Nashville trips. 

Belmont didn't even want to move up to the MVC. Their hand was forced by the implosion of the OVC. Doubtful they'd be interested in a Butler-in-the-A10 one year stop in the MVC. 

Murray State doesn't make any sense on a lot of fronts, but mainly on travel for them and all the east coast schools. 

Wichita is quite a stretch geographically but makes a lot of sense in a basketball-only kind of way. It kinda fits with the current 70/30 private public split. 

Iona right now is a total coach's program - once Pitino leaves its back to the gutter.

Temple would be a dynamite add back. But they'd be giving up some good money. 

Butler isn't leaving the Big East because the money is too damn good. Thad will have them playing at an elite level soon. 

Bradley I doubt you could talk into absorbing the added travel expense. They'd make sense in an institutional fit and a good fit in between SLU/Loyola. 

I could talk myself into Northern Kentucky as a candidate. It is a bit of an awkward fit but adds another Ohio-ish school. 

The A10 is in a weird spot to add anyone. The TV $ isn't there to make a drop down worthwhile. The travel sucks unless you go to a strict east/west format for the non-rev sports. So it is hard to convince a midwest mid major to make the jump up/there aren't a lot of basketball programs worth the 16th invite. 

44 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Belmont didn't even want to move up to the MVC. Their hand was forced by the implosion of the OVC. Doubtful they'd be interested in a Butler-in-the-A10 one year stop in the MVC. 

Murray State doesn't make any sense on a lot of fronts, but mainly on travel for them and all the east coast schools. 

Wichita is quite a stretch geographically but makes a lot of sense in a basketball-only kind of way. It kinda fits with the current 70/30 private public split. 

Iona right now is a total coach's program - once Pitino leaves its back to the gutter.

Butler isn't leaving the Big East because the money is too damn good. Thad will have them playing at an elite level soon. 

Bradley I doubt you could talk into absorbing the added travel expense. They'd make sense in an institutional fit and a good fit in between SLU/Loyola. 

I could talk myself into Northern Kentucky as a candidate. It is a bit of an awkward fit but adds another Ohio-ish school. 

The A10 is in a weird spot to add anyone. The TV $ isn't there to make a drop down worthwhile. The travel sucks unless you go to a strict east/west format for the non-rev sports. So it is hard to convince a midwest mid major to make the jump up/there aren't a lot of basketball programs worth the 16th invite. 

Why not another school ready for a jump like James Madison or Old Dominion? JMU would be another geographical rival with the DC metro programs; with the the RVA schools having alumni bases in said metro, would bring their fans to away games. 

8 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Why not another school ready for a jump like James Madison or Old Dominion? JMU would be another geographical rival with the DC metro programs; with the the RVA schools having alumni bases in said metro, would bring their fans to away games. 

No more f’ing schools in Virginia. This isn’t the CAA

Go in the other direction ... contraction.  La Salle should go.  George Washington can go.  Duquesne can go.  So too can Fordham.  And with the Iron Five now gone, Bonaventure will be closely watched to see if it can maintain any semblance of decency.  We are not that far removed from the salad days of the Bonawelders, y'know.  Much like guys who like Belmont because of Nashville trips, I like Fordham because of NYC trips.  But that doesn't make either right.  Saint Joe's hasn't doen much lately and Mason hasn't seen the heights since the improbable Final Four run.  

There isn't a decent, sensible addition sitting out there anywhere right now.  But the trash in this league is immense.

The talk about Vermont brought back to my mind my trip to UVT in Burlington when I was interviewing for an internship back in 1971. Burlington was a tiny city. Getting there by plane required flying to Boston first and then taking a small prop plane to Burlington. There were no embarking and debarking moving tunnels to the airplane, you walked to the runway and walked to the terminal, in the snow. Let's say that it indeed was a very, very nice small city with a wonderful lake on its side, but very cold and very isolated. Whenever I try to picture Olean NY in my mind I think of Burlington VT. I would much prefer an additional nice mid western team for the A10.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Go in the other direction ... contraction.  La Salle should go.  George Washington can go.  Duquesne can go.  So too can Fordham.  And with the Iron Five now gone, Bonaventure will be closely watched to see if it can maintain any semblance of decency.  We are not that far removed from the salad days of the Bonawelders, y'know.  Much like guys who like Belmont because of Nashville trips, I like Fordham because of NYC trips.  But that doesn't make either right.  Saint Joe's hasn't doen much lately and Mason hasn't seen the heights since the improbable Final Four run.  

There isn't a decent, sensible addition sitting out there anywhere right now.  But the trash in this league is immense.

this

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I agree about Butler - my bringing their name up was only in response to the thread's question - which team would you like.  I doubt Belmont would ever eclipse Vandy in the SEC so what you say seems fair.  I know some think the size of the market doesn't mean much but I still do.  In fact people want to discount the market issue but then when their team choice comes up then they want to throw the market size thing out as a plus.  Wichita may fit the profile but you are right it is just too far away and honestly does little for us.  Reminds me of the NE in Big 10.  You may be right - sitting tight now might be the best option.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

The talk about Vermont brought back to my mind my trip to UVT in Burlington when I was interviewing for an internship back in 1971. Burlington was a tiny city. Getting there by plane required flying to Boston first and then taking a small prop plane to Burlington. There were no embarking and debarking moving tunnels to the airplane, you walked to the runway and walked to the terminal, in the snow. Let's say that it indeed was a very, very nice small city with a wonderful lake on its side, but very cold and very isolated. Whenever I try to picture Olean NY in my mind I think of Burlington VT. I would much prefer an additional nice mid western team for the A10.

Burlington, Vermont is great as is nearby Stowe. As a fan looking for fun destinations, count me in on Vermont!

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

No more f’ing schools in Virginia. This isn’t the CAA

;) good point, but there isn’t a commonwealth or state within the A-10 footprint that is growing at the rate of VA. 

It would be interesting to give Davidson a geographic rivalry with the addition of a school like Appalachian State - and we have a commissioner who cut her academic teeth within the University of NC system in which AppState is a member. 

IF the A-10 were to add, would be a school without football, so that limits options... 

After JMM mentioned Northern Kentucky, they could be an interesting option. no football, brings Cincinnati market( south).  Has a 10,000 seat arena,  only been D1 10 years,  already 2 NCAA bids...

Iona has 15 NCAA bids, only 1 win, but being in Juan Bid leagues, bad seeds...

thatskablamo likes this

9 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

IF the A-10 were to add, would be a school without football, so that limits options... 

After JMM mentioned Northern Kentucky, they could be an interesting option. no football, brings Cincinnati market( south).  Has a 10,000 seat arena,  only been D1 10 years,  already 2 NCAA bids...

Iona has 15 NCAA bids, only 1 win, but being in Juan Bid leagues, bad seeds...

Speaking of schools on the horizon, there’s always our old MCC pals Detroit Mercy…

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

;) good point, but there isn’t a commonwealth or state within the A-10 footprint that is growing at the rate of VA. 

It would be interesting to give Davidson a geographic rivalry with the addition of a school like Appalachian State - and we have a commissioner who cut her academic teeth within the University of NC system in which AppState is a member. 

It would be interesting to add Missouri S&T as a geographical rival to SLU

we get it. You’re probably good at trivia

Box and Won and BilliesBy40 like this

The only good additions are in this order

1. Wichita St - They spend, have facilities, decent metro market, basketball only, and another western school.  They would not be fazed by travel.

2. Temple - Prestige is higher than Wichita St but facilities are blah, not football only and their basketball has taken a serious hit.

3. Belmont - Facilities and spending are not where we want, solid winning history but don't need another flash in the pan like George Mason.

The A10 is never getting rid of schools so don't even bring that up.

Wichita St is the top choice by far.  Anything but these top 3 is seriously flawed and shouldn't be considered.

wichita state while in the recent decade has been a good basketball program and still reaping the benefits of greg marshall imo they do not fit the profile of what the A-10 should be.   it is a large public university.   it is not a great academic school like the majority of the A-10 schools.   even if the current coach continues the performance marshall established over his tenure, i would not be in favor of adding such a school.   our non revenue sports would be at a great disadvantage to such a school.   plus considering the setup of this idiotic NIL system, in all likelihood, a big public school like wichita state would have far more boosters to garner the cash to payoff players and steal the players in the equally idiotic transfer portal.  i vote no.