Two Man Game, Earl and Rocc.

7 1/2 minutes of Billiken talk

Rammer "It appears that a somebody or a group of somebodies stepped up for Yuri. Was there a home town discount?"

Being able to play a five out game, they should be one of the top scoring teams in the country.  With Okoro in - play four out. Traore could have slid right in behind Okoro, so his transfer is unfortunate.  But some kids just want to go somewhere else.  There won't be many mid-major teams winning (outbidding) a P6 team.  Will the dynamic of the shifting money result in the same shift in who wins and who losses?  Maybe not.

BuiltFordBills likes this

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rammer not available, so Rocchio 'upgraded his cohort' with Earl Austin.  Billiken talk up to 13 minutes.

Perkins had added 15 pounds of muscle prior to last season.  With Perkins gone, it allowed others to elevate their game, particularly Jimerson.  He became a three level scorer last season.  Thatch went from a 'glue guy' to a reliable scorer.  Ford has to mold the new pieces into a solid team. 

Is the backup PG a spot where Earl thinks will be taken care of with a transfer or will they use internal options?  "Ideally you want a veteran backup, but you need to develop some of the others, such as Thatch or Perkins or Thames take over ball handling duties.  It is kind of tricky getting a vet to come in."

Will some of the new guys, freshmen, get significant minutes?  Travis will give minutes if they play themselves into minutes. That will mean those new players have made significant strides. College basketball is tough on most freshmen.  There is no pressing need for the freshmen to come in and play right away.  But they can play / practice well enough to make a statement that they can play minutes. 

We have a 1 and a 5, then 10 or so guys who can play 2, 3 or 4.  Travis has taken recruiting to a new level for SLU.  We have not had to 'start over' once a group leaves.

slufanskip and SLURadioBoy like this

• HoosierPal changed the title to Two Man Game, Earl and Rocc.

the more nothing happens, the more i think the backup pg might be a committee of perkins, thatch, and thames.   

watching the celtics last night with jayson tatum playing out of position spelling smart when he needed a blow, it seemed to work fine without a traditional point guard in the game.   not that thames, thatch and perkins are jayson tatum.   but the point is it can work to give yuri the break.   the risk imo is yuri gets hurt.   i do not think this is a good idea for an entire game.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the more nothing happens, the more i think the backup pg might be a committee of perkins, thatch, and thames.   

watching the celtics last night with jayson tatum playing out of position spelling smart when he needed a blow, it seemed to work fine without a traditional point guard in the game.   not that thames, thatch and perkins are jayson tatum.   but the point is it can work to give yuri the break.   the risk imo is yuri gets hurt.   i do not think this is a good idea for an entire game.  

Agree, we need to find a slight upgrade from Jones, although I thought he was not a detriment last year. But against UNI he was no Yuri Collins. Hopefully there's a SO or JR PG in the portal who might see an opportunity to be #1 next year if Yuri does depart. 

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy, I agree we have the talent to approach games in any number of different ways and win them. The question is not whether we can do it based upon the talent in the team, the real question is how is Ford going to play these kids? If he continues doing it his standard way, not exploiting the available opportunities provided by the players he has, we are likely to have similar results to what we have had in his prior seasons. Yes, there was Covid, etc in prior years, but there also was Ford. If we blow it again, we will probably find something else to put the blame on for the poor season.

HoosierPal likes this

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Roy, I agree we have the talent to approach games in any number of different ways and win them. The question is not whether we can do it based upon the talent in the team, the real question is how is Ford going to play these kids? If he continues doing it his standard way, not exploiting the available opportunities provided by the players he has, we are likely to have similar results to what we have had in his prior seasons. Yes, there was Covid, etc in prior years, but there also was Ford. If we blow it again, we will probably find something else to put the blame on for the poor season.

🙄

22 hours ago, Old guy said:

I love how you gloss over the etc part.... Ford is the best thing that has happened to this program....

I agree that we all want better results but calling this past year underachieving, with Perkins going down before the start of the season is not fair.  Ford lovers can find all sorts of excuses, things beyond his control, that account for his record.  I don't know if I am a Ford lover anymore but I think been dealt a crappy hand often during his tenure.  Ultimately he is responsible to get us to the dance and make some noise there.  If he can't pull that off this year, with Yuri and Perkins back his seat should warm up a bit....

Imho....

Majerus is an all-time great, HOF coach.  SLU will very likely never have better.  It is no insult to TF to rank him below RM as a coach.

Rick's tenure was very short and C*^#s killed all momentum that had been generated.

TF has the Bills approaching the same heights as RM with legit hope of sustaining it for a while. (All while dealing with some crazy bad luck.) He deaerves appreciation for where things currently sit.

TF likely wouldn't be here without the success RM had.

Let's go have a historical season!

20 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Imho....

Majerus is an all-time great, HOF coach.  SLU will very likely never have better.  It is no insult to TF to rank him below RM as a coach.

Rick's tenure was very short and C*^#s killed all momentum that had been generated.

TF has the Bills approaching the same heights as RM with legit hope of sustaining it for a while. (All while dealing with some crazy bad luck.) He deaerves appreciation for where things currently sit.

TF likely wouldn't be here without the success RM had.

Let's go have a historical season!

Majerus had a .579 winning percentage at SLU Ford has a .593 record. Based on the comments on this board, that should be surprising...

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

14 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Majerus had a .579 winning percentage at SLU Ford has a .593 record. Based on the comments on this board, that should be surprising...

And Ford took over a worse situation than Majerus

11 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Majerus didn’t build a program at SLU, but Ford has... I just don’t understand the continual cheap shots by you...

I don’t know how we can say Majerus didn’t build a program.  The two seasons after his departure we went to the second round of the NCAA.  May made an awful hire and the success wasn’t sustained.  

slufanskip and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

And Ford took over a worse situation than Majerus

Did he really?  Ford took over a program that was two seasons removed from three straight second round NCAA tournaments and two straight conference championships. Majerus took over a program that hadn’t been to the NCAA tournament in seven seasons and hadn’t won a conference championship in 36.

Old guy and TheA_Bomb like this