OT: NBA Playoffs

crymdg2

53 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Poorly officiated game. Tatum’s sixth was atrocious. 

NBA was trying to get at least another game out of the series. I 100% agree that 6th foul was trash. Glad they were able to pull it out in 4 games and get some rest.

thatskablamo likes this

6 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

NBA was trying to get at least another game out of the series. I 100% agree that 6th foul was trash. Glad they were able to pull it out in 4 games and get some rest.

They almost got their wish. Took the second half to pay more attention to Marcus Smart’s game - can score, distribute the rock and defend at the highest level. May be the most underrated player in the league. Was fun watching him and Blake Griffin go at it, just for the OU - Okla State rivalry aspect. Tatum is the heart of that C’s team but Smart is every other vital organ. Much respect.

billiken_roy likes this

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you like players who can leap tall buildings in a single bound and have range to the parking lot, there's never been a better time to be an NBA fan.  For those who prefer more balanced offense and rivalries between all-time teams, there's always Hardwood Classics.

If you can explain what “illegal defense” is, I’ll bite. Is it just playing defense?

36 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

If you can explain what “illegal defense” is, I’ll bite. Is it just playing defense?

Yes.  The old illegal defense rule required everyone to play man-to-man, unclogging the lane.  The modern illegal defense rule, defensive three seconds, accomplishes the same thing.

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you like players who can leap tall buildings in a single bound and have range to the parking lot, there's never been a better time to be an NBA fan.  For those who prefer more balanced offense and rivalries between all-time teams, there's always Hardwood Classics.

The level of talent for shooting has never been higher.  Those that complained in the 80's and 90's that basketball was all just dunks weren't accurate then, but they'd be way wrong now.  Things have moved closer to the game that was played in the 50's and 60's but with more skill, more speed, and, as a result, pressure to play a much higher level of defense.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The level of talent for shooting has never been higher.  Those that complained in the 80's and 90's that basketball was all just dunks weren't accurate then, but they'd be way wrong now.  Things have moved closer to the game that was played in the 50's and 60's but with more skill, more speed, and, as a result, pressure to play a much higher level of defense.

On paper I should be in love with the NBA right now but I can't get past players jacking up 27 footers at the beginning of the shot clock and the devaluing of post play.  I know 3 is more than 2 but because of that we'll never see the likes of Hakeem Olaujwon, Moses Malone or Kevin McHale again.  And that's a pity.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

On paper I should be in love with the NBA right now but I can't get past players jacking up 27 footers at the beginning of the shot clock and the devaluing of post play.  I know 3 is more than 2 but because of that we'll never see the likes of Hakeem Olaujwon, Moses Malone or Kevin McHale again.  And that's a pity.

I was fans of those types of players as well.  I just don't know that I agree that we don't see good big men anymore.  Those guys just play a little bit different style.   The best example is Giannis.  He is maybe the most dominant player in the game today, and he is 6'11".  Embid is 7'0".  Durant is 6'10".  Jokic is 6'11".

If Olajuwon, Malone, and McHale could shoot like these guys do, they would have done the same thing.

almaman and willie like this

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was fans of those types of players as well.  I just don't know that I agree that we don't see good big men anymore.  Those guys just play a little bit different style.   The best example is Giannis.  He is maybe the most dominant player in the game today, and he is 6'11".  Embid is 7'0".  Durant is 6'10".  Jokic is 6'11".

If Olajuwon, Malone, and McHale could shoot like these guys do, they would have done the same thing.

Durant is taller than 6'10". I've never understood why he'd want to lie about his height being shorter than he actually is, but this is next to 6'10" Demarcus Cousins

Here's Definitive Proof Kevin Durant is Actually Much Taller Than 6-Foot-9  - stack

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I didn't say anything about there not being good big men.  But if you want to see  master classes in low post play in addition to great perimeter play, this ain't the era. 

Once less talented teams began beating us in international competition with the three ball, the current pro game was inevitable.  I know how we got here, I just don't like the trade off.

cgeldmacher likes this

Lived in a couple NBA cities (actually 3 including St. Louis since I remember the St. Louis Hawks and when they beat Boston for the NBA title). Worked at Kiel Auditorium before they moved to Atlanta. When we were in Seattle area they had the Sonics. Remember a game we saw there when they played the 76ers, and my family cheered when Larry Hughes scored. Fan in front of us turned and said Saint Louis U and we said you bet. We lived in South Florida when LBJ played for the Heat, and won two NBA titles. Still root for the Heat, and hope they have a run at another NBA title this year.

almaman likes this