Yuri is back

Aquinas

49 minutes ago, ACE said:

TN never really wanted Yuri and stopped recruiting him.

Not true. Take this to the bank. Yuri heard he had an offer from UT and Rick Barnes. When he went to schedule his visit he found out it was not the real UT, but rather UT lite. He said no. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ACE said:

TN never really wanted Yuri and stopped recruiting him.

I read a recent article and the writer said the UT connection for Yuri was a young Asst Coach named Rod Carter. He's originally from Kansas City, MO. Had an Asst Coaching stint at Sunrise Christian Academy, and also one with the MO-Kan AAU team. 

5 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I read a recent article and the writer said the UT connection for Yuri was a young Asst Coach named Rod Carter. He's originally from Kansas City, MO. Had an Asst Coaching stint at Sunrise Christian Academy, and also one with the MO-Kan AAU team. 

pretend high schools, aau teams, new asst coaches.   reads like a how to cheat set up if you ask me.  if not cheat at minimum not completely ethical as the world knows college athletics.   god i hate this trend.   i am so close to chucking my entire devotion to the billikens and college basketball.  

ACE likes this

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

What a tool. How this is not considered tampering is beyond me.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

What a tool. How this is not considered tampering is beyond me.

No where in what I just wrote did I mention that the UT Assistant Coach contacted Yuri directly and neither did the author of the article I read. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pretend high schools, aau teams, new asst coaches.   reads like a how to cheat set up if you ask me.  if not cheat at minimum not completely ethical as the world knows college athletics.   god i hate this trend.   i am so close to chucking my entire devotion to the billikens and college basketball.  

If you are referencing Sunrise Christian Academy as a pretend HS then please humor me...what is Montverde Academy in my home state of FL? If so, the Bills have a player from one of those HS.

Just now, Schasz said:

If you are referencing Sunrise Christian Academy as a pretend HS then please humor me...what is Montverde Academy in my home state of FL? If so, the Bills have a player from one of those HS.

totally agree, thus more contribution to my nearing chuck college basketball.  not defending any of this b.s. 

43 minutes ago, Schasz said:

No where in what I just wrote did I mention that the UT Assistant Coach contacted Yuri directly and neither did the author of the article I read. 

This is so dumb.  Are you really trying to argue that if College Coach X calls up AAU Coach Y and says something like "hey I need a PG and boosters are willing to offer this specific PG a $200k NIL deal.  Please get word to this PG." it is not tampering because because no direct contact was made?

I'm not naïve enough to think that type of stuff doesn't happen, but if you are as brazen about it as UT (or Miami) was it should absolutely be punished.

ACE likes this

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is so dumb.  Are you really trying to argue that if College Coach X calls up AAU Coach Y and says something like "hey I need a PG and boosters are willing to offer this specific PG a $200k NIL deal.  Please get word to this PG." it is not tampering because because no direct contact was made?

I'm not naïve enough to think that type of stuff doesn't happen, but if you are as brazen about it as UT (or Miami) was it should absolutely be punished.

Sorry like many on here I don't know you from Adam, but it does seem to me you like to deal in a lot of conjecture. I can tell you this I don't have any facts on why Yuri decided to get in the transfer portal, and I don't care to guess his reasons. What I do know for certain is after deciding to enter the portal...he decided to come back to play for the Bills, and that is the only fact that matters today. As I've said all along it's Yuri's decision and if he's happy then I'm happy for him. As far as I'm concerned speculation on what did or did not happen is conjecture, and doesn't matter now.

The real question here is WHY? Why did he decide to go into the portal? Why did he decide to come back? Was it because he got paid by someone to do it? Was it because he realized he was going nowhere in the portal, at least money wise?

I do not think he came back because of loyalty to SLU, or to the team, or to his team mates.

27 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Sorry like many on here I don't know you from Adam, but it does seem to me you like to deal in a lot of conjecture. I can tell you this I don't have any facts on why Yuri decided to get in the transfer portal, and I don't care to guess his reasons. What I do know for certain is after deciding to enter the portal...he decided to come back to play for the Bills, and that is the only fact that matters today. As I've said all along it's Yuri's decision and if he's happy then I'm happy for him. As far as I'm concerned speculation on what did or did not happen is conjecture, and doesn't matter now.

Wow.  If you aren't an attorney, you sure play one online very well.  My "conjecture" is that you prefer not to see Tennessee as doing anything dirty or underhanded, so you are sticking your head in the ground.

47 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The real question here is WHY? Why did he decide to go into the portal? Why did he decide to come back? Was it because he got paid by someone to do it? Was it because he realized he was going nowhere in the portal, at least money wise?

I do not think he came back because of loyalty to SLU, or to the team, or to his team mates.

Frank and Jeff Gordon both, on Frank's show today, stated that they assume Yuri was 'taken care of' to come back.

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

This you? 

image.thumb.png.43e001a414d7eae586d18169eb720d35.png

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

This you? 

image.thumb.png.43e001a414d7eae586d18169eb720d35.png

That's pretty misguided speculation by Schasz, I would say a 20+ win season was a good result considering Perkins went down. Once our top scorer went down, it was not a NCAA Tourney caliber team- NIT was about right. Thi$$$ was a more likely a reason Yuri considered making a move.

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Wash U

21 hours ago, dlarry said:

lol

What a maroon.

I guess this is the new “we stopped recruiting him” 

If there is some truth to this and May was involved in pushing back - good for him. He deserves credit.

Just yesterday, in this thread, a wise man remarked: "How this is not considered tampering is beyond me."

cgeldmacher likes this

Just now, ACE said:

If there is some truth to this and May was involved in pushing back - good for him. He deserves credit.

Just yesterday, in this thread, a wise man remarked: "How this is not considered tampering is beyond me."

Agree and if Yuri was upset about blocking him he had plenty of other schools to choose from. 

Tennessee did not pull its offer. The Volunteers thought they had Collins until they didn't. There was an effort by SLU to get an NIL package together to make the decision harder. I don't know what the end result of that effort was, but something clearly changed the equation. There also were some conversations between SLU and Tennessee about the talks Tennessee engaged in with Collins before he was officially in the transfer portal. SLU was not pleased with how that process went down. In the end, it's a big win for the Billikens. Retaining talent is a huge challenge for an A-10 team right now, and the Billikens circled the wagons. They should be very good next season.
  • Likes1
BenFred
25cad800-ce18-43d4-8c30-d97424b132ae.jpg
Pistol likes this

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:
 Retaining talent is a huge challenge for an A-10 team right now
  • Likes1
BenFred
25cad800-ce18-43d4-8c30-d97424b132ae.jpg

typical patronizing b.s.   i dont like Benny

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

typical patronizing b.s.   i dont like Benny

Is he wrong though? Isn’t this statement the exact reason we are all are all scared of what NIL is doing to schools like SLU? We develop home grown talent and they bounce when more prestigious conferences with bigger pockets come knocking?

My take on this drama comes down to money. We kept Yuri by paying money, and next year he will almost certainly want more money. It is peculiar that someone who expected so much from another school wound up coming back to SLU. How much did he get? Was it worth it? I do not think so, I think it was a waste of money. Do you (plural you) think that this gets SLU up to an automatic 25 ranking this coming season? maybe if all goes well, but maybe not. Was it worth it to pay if we make it to the top 25, maybe, maybe not.

I think we should work with students who want to come to SLU, not with the ones that want to make money from SLU. I would rather leave the duty of paying the professional athletes in the making to other schools with much larger alumni bases. Are we going to be on the top of D1 in the future following this strategy, no we will not, but there are lots of things in life other than money that are worth pursuing.

2 hours ago, QUAILMAN said:

Is he wrong though? Isn’t this statement the exact reason we are all are all scared of what NIL is doing to schools like SLU? We develop home grown talent and they bounce when more prestigious conferences with bigger pockets come knocking?

We just won a bidding war with an SEC school and other major programs.  SLU isn’t going to be little sisters of the poor in the NIL game.

rgbilliken likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We just won a bidding war with an SEC school and other major programs.  SLU isn’t going to be little sisters of the poor in the NIL game.

And it helps that they’re in a top 25 tv and MSA market. Programs like Dayton, Bona, etc should be more concerned.