A10 2022-23 Rosters

I have this spreadsheet bookmarked.  I'm not sure who owns this, but they do a decent job of keeping it up to date.  There are a few errors, for example they list Jimerson as a Junior, while we all know he will be a 4th year Freshman.  Hughes Jr isn't on the SLU list, but being a Walk On, perhaps he will appear later.  So I assume there are similar errors on other team's lists.  Some players that are going through the NBA evaluation are listed on the roster for next season (Burton for Richmond) while others aren't (Osunniyi and Welch).

Teams that have a ways to go to fill out their roster include GW with 5 open scholarships, LaSalle with 8, Rhody with 7, and the Bonnies with 5.  The Portal is still open for entry for another week, so there likely will be a flurry of outbounds.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QgSo3xymzu43nF20xkXOkJ3ESDx8NPg1fen0PQ1fGuY/edit?hl=en_US&hl=en_US#gid=0

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I have this spreadsheet bookmarked.  I'm not sure who owns this, but they do a decent job of keeping it up to date.  There are a few errors, for example they list Jimerson as a Junior, while we all know he will be a 4th year Freshman.  Hughes Jr isn't on the SLU list, but being a Walk On, perhaps he will appear later.  So I assume there are similar errors on other team's lists.  Some players that are going through the NBA evaluation are listed on the roster for next season (Burton for Richmond) while others aren't (Osunniyi and Welch).

Teams that have a ways to go to fill out their roster include GW with 5 open scholarships, LaSalle with 8, Rhody with 7, and the Bonnies with 5.  The Portal is still open for entry for another week, so there likely will be a flurry of outbounds.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QgSo3xymzu43nF20xkXOkJ3ESDx8NPg1fen0PQ1fGuY/edit?hl=en_US&hl=en_US#gid=0

A lot of time and effort has gone into that spreadsheet. Whoever is doing this should be forgiven a few errors.

• 2 weeks later...

With the non-penalty portal closed, I took a look at which A10 teams needed to do work. LaSalle, St. B, GW and Rhody have significant holes to fill.

The spreadsheet considers those players who are in the NBA Combine and retained their eligibility and not in the Transfer Portal as returning to their team.  Collins, Odoru and Burton would be examples.  Players in the Combine and/or Transfer Portal are considered gone, such as Osunniyi, Welch and Lofton, although they still could return.

The rundown on open scholarships

LaSalle - 9 open scholarships

St. Bonaventure - 6

Rhode Island and George Washington - 5

Fordham and the Bills - 3

George Mason - 2

Davidson, Dayton, Loyola and VCU - 1

Duquesne, UMass, Richmond and St. Josephs - 0

• 3 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/OverallTeamRankings/?Conference=A-10

For me this is simply interesting reading for now.  It looks like this is a combo of transfers plus freshmen, as SLU shows 5 commits.  Parker has been on board for a long time, so perhaps he isn't included in this list.  Whatever.  It uses the always accurate 24/7 star ratings as a basis.  VCU is on top for now, with UMass second. But again, interesting reading.  I wouldn't base preseason rankings on this list.

wgstl likes this

A couple of notes ..... neither Dayton recruit is ranked as high on Verbal Commits as they are here.  And for SLU, not only are they missing Parker, they also don't recognize Kellen Thames as a commit.  I do agree ... interesting reading.  

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

A couple of notes ..... neither Dayton recruit is ranked as high on Verbal Commits as they are here.  And for SLU, not only are they missing Parker, they also don't recognize Kellen Thames as a commit.  I do agree ... interesting reading.  

I went to the class calculator and Thames isn't even registered. 

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

What does that mean?  Scholarship rescinded?  Oversight?

I don’t think 247 has a page for him, couldn’t find one. So guessing he’s just not in their database 🤷‍♂️ 

which would be odd considering he had 2 P5 offers 

Don't read anything into recruiting rankings in this era. Most of these sites don't even have all the recruits in their lists. HS players who would've been easy 3-star recruits in previous years are struggling to find D-I spots at all. Transfers are everywhere, and the COVID bonus season is keeping a lot of players in the D-I ranks who would otherwise have moved on by now.

Look at our own incoming class - 1 JUCO redshirt freshman, 2 grad transfers, 3 HS seniors - 1 of whom is a walk-on - and a 20-year-old who has gone from Senegal to France to Arizona to Connecticut in just a few years. How do you assign a metric to that? How do you compare that to other recruiting to classes similarly cobbled together from all levels? Not to mention that these services haven't seen most HS/prep/JUCO players play at all in the past two seasons because of the pandemic, so a ton of guys are missing or incomplete.

Recruiting rankings don't mean much in this landscape. They're from an era when schools were drawing primarily from the HS ranks.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

Don't read anything into recruiting rankings in this era. Most of these sites don't even have all the recruits in their lists. HS players who would've been easy 3-star recruits in previous years are struggling to find D-I spots at all. Transfers are everywhere, and the COVID bonus season is keeping a lot of players in the D-I ranks who would otherwise have moved on by now.

Look at our own incoming class - 1 JUCO redshirt freshman, 2 grad transfers, 3 HS seniors - 1 of whom is a walk-on - and a 20-year-old who has gone from Senegal to France to Arizona to Connecticut in just a few years. How do you assign a metric to that? How do you compare that to other recruiting to classes similarly cobbled together from all levels? Not to mention that these services haven't seen most HS/prep/JUCO players play at all in the past two seasons because of the pandemic, so a ton of guys are missing or incomplete.

Recruiting rankings don't mean much in this landscape. They're from an era when schools were drawing primarily from the HS ranks.

I agreed completely.  I’d say next season we have one of the strongest teams we’ve had in a while (barring injury of course).  And we only have one 4 star recruit from high school on the team (Okora)??  Totally different world now.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:56 PM, HoosierPal said:

Martin building a nice roster.  I believe this fills up UMass.

UMass will be trouble.  They should always be a top program in the league.  Its been hard watching them stink.  If they are good, the conference is good.  East Coast media loves that program too.

19 hours ago, thetorch said:

UMass will be trouble.  They should always be a top program in the league.  Its been hard watching them stink.  If they are good, the conference is good.  East Coast media loves that program too.

Yep always said the same, along with rhody 

Farell is not listed a four-star recruit anywhere.  He does get three stars from Rivals.  Has some impressive offerers out thewre ... Miami, Va Tech, Uconn, St. John's, Marquette, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Syracuse, VCU, Seton Hall and Vandy.  A 6'7", 180 pound small forward originally from Gabon.  Amazing how Schmidt seems to corner the market on a lot of Afrikaans.  Do you thin it's Schmidt or is there some assistant on staff doing all this work?  Been going on for years too.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yep always said the same, along with rhody 

Academically UMass has something almost non existent elsewhere. There is a College/University consortium of 5 schools (Mount Holyoke, Amherst, UMass, Smith, and Hampshire). The great advantage is that a student in any of the 5 institutions can take courses anywhere that will count academically in their own school. From an academic standpoint you cannot beat this deal.

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Academically UMass has something almost non existent elsewhere. There is a College/University consortium of 5 schools (Mount Holyoke, Amherst, UMass, Smith, and Hampshire). The great advantage is that a student in any of the 5 institutions can take courses anywhere that will count academically in their own school. From an academic standpoint you cannot beat this deal.

I am not sure but SLU and Wash U had a similar agreement at one time.

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Farell is not listed a four-star recruit anywhere.  He does get three stars from Rivals.  Has some impressive offerers out thewre ... Miami, Va Tech, Uconn, St. John's, Marquette, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Syracuse, VCU, Seton Hall and Vandy.  A 6'7", 180 pound small forward originally from Gabon.  Amazing how Schmidt seems to corner the market on a lot of Afrikaans.  Do you thin it's Schmidt or is there some assistant on staff doing all this work?  Been going on for years too.

He is four stars on Rivals and three stars on 247.  Verbal Commits often has the incorrect star ratings for players.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/yann-farrell-268293