Poll on NIL money for Yuri

NIL Money for Yuri?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How much money would you be willing to pay Yuri Collins for 1 year of basketball?

• $0
    • $100
    • $200
    • $500
    • More

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2022 at 04:00 AM

23 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I could see this creating some issues, lol. Reformation 2.0 started because of basketball 😂

I originally posted it as a joke, but I really wonder if a non-profit, like a church, would see a 1% increase in donations year-by-year, if they had a basketball team affiliation. Would it give the same benefit that the University gets from a sport, but without the commitment in funding of an arena, etc. Then again, the University would probably allow the Diocese to claim the team without any donations.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than make a few 15 minute appearances or sign a few autographs, i'd like definitive proof that the players getting paid are indeed being productive students.   they are in class, they are passing real classes they are progressing towards a real degree.   post those results show pictures of them getting the education they are supposed to be getting at saint louis university show pictures of them walking at graduation getting their diplomas.   maybe a few high school students will see and realize saint louis university is a real school trying to help the students achieve goals beyond playing basketball.  

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

If you voted 0, don't also say "Its so hard being a Billiken fan" because that is a self fulfilling thing.

A bunch of fans saying they would chip in 0 for an A-10 first team player. Yikes. 

Protection racket attitude. 

“That’s a lovely team you got going on there… it’d be a shame if anything were to happen to it.”

thunderdan likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

The NIL isn't for regular fans to support. Its for the the AD to court big donors to bankroll this new endeavor.

This is 100% true. And if this is what SLU is relying on, we'll be dead and buried in the NIL game. Would I donate if asked? Potentially but we're not pulling together to make a difference for one player, let alone a starting 5

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Dumb take.

99% of fans don't have extra money for this so yeah it zero. I'm scraping money together to buy beer at the game. If my kid needs braces I'm not giving Yuri or anybody $50 to play. 

The NIL isn't for regular fans to support. Its for the the AD to court big donors to bankroll this new endeavor.

How much did you donate to build Chaifetz arena? I'm betting zero.

I think the money needs to come from business. Companies who are already have advertising or PR budgets. An IMO's pizza using SLU players instead of a Jason Tatum. The car dealers having signing events. Royal Bank taking some of Ramsey's money and giving it to Thatch. Bob McCormick  hiring Billiken players to advertise and work his camps. The Chess Club doing a promo  with Kramer. Be creative. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

I think the money needs to come from business. Companies who are already have advertising or PR budgets. An IMO's pizza using SLU players instead of a Jason Tatum. The car dealers having signing events. Royal Bank taking some of Ramsey's money and giving it to Thatch. Bob McCormick  hiring Billiken players to advertise and work his camps. The Chess Club doing a promo  with Kramer. Be creative. 

Was thinking about this yesterday.  In addition to the above, how about places like Humphrey's (when it reopens) having NIL exchange nights.  20% of proceeds during and after games go to the exchange. That type of thing is a little easier to swallow.

GBL_Bills and willie like this

9 minutes ago, willie said:

How no one at SLU ever put the pieces in place to get a NIL deal between Okoro, who is from Imo, Nigeria and Imo's is sort of mind boggling.  I guess getting every dime possible flowing into the athletic department instead of NIL was more important.

15 minutes ago, willie said:

I think this is how the NCAA was hoping it would work but it's become the wild west. I like this idea but it's going to have to be driven from the AD whether that's within the rules or not and they kind of seem to be wanting to stay out of it at the current moment. 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I think this is how the NCAA was hoping it would work but it's become the wild west. I like this idea but it's going to have to be driven from the AD whether that's within the rules or not and they kind of seem to be wanting to stay out of it at the current moment. 

There has to be one sports agent/professional who can take this on if the AD can’t. There are half a dozen law firms in town. We need one competent sports attorney, who can call people and drum up business, and draft agreements quickly.

9 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Was thinking about this yesterday.  In addition to the above, how about places like Humphrey's (when it reopens) having NIL exchange nights.  20% of proceeds during and after games go to the exchange. That type of thing is a little easier to swallow.

Might as well get back in the Horizon League and save the trouble. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

what lol?

I get what he is saying.  If that is type of thing you are going to limit the program to because it is "easier to swallow", you might as well go back to the Horizon league or drop to D3.  That is what you are relegating the program's status to if you won't play by the new rules.

wgstl and JMM28 like this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I get what he is saying.  If that is type of thing you are going to limit the program to because it is "easier to swallow", you might as well go back to the Horizon league or drop to D3.  That is what you are relegating the program's status to if you won't play by the new rules.

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Bake sales and car dealers tossing a couple hundy aren't going to keep SLU competitive in the A10.

ahhh ok I see what you're saying. 

I’d rather drop to D3 than to deal with this Ponzi scheme. Let’s be real, there’s a 99.99% chance that SLU will never advance past the second round of the NCAA’s. NIL was the final nail to the coffin. I’ll say it again, WashU was ahead of the curve by focusing only on STUDENT athletes. 

27 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Bake sales and car dealers tossing a couple hundy aren't going to keep SLU competitive in the A10.

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That's not really what we're suggesting.  These are just the things the average fan can do to help because let's face it, a billikens.com fundraiser isn't enough either.  The majority of it is up to the athletic department to connect the athlete and big donor $s if that's what's needed.    

JMM28 likes this

Just now, SShoe said:

That's not really what we're suggesting.  These are just the things the average fan can do to help because let's face it, a billikens.com fundraiser isn't enough either.  The majority of it is up to the athletic department to connect the athlete and big donor $s if that's what's needed.    

Gotcha, sorry for misreading what you were getting at earlier.  

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

This is exactly right. For the average fan, self included, any money I could part with is better spent funding my kids' 529 plans so they can one day attend slu. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I’d rather drop to D3 than to deal with this Ponzi scheme. Let’s be real, there’s a 99.99% chance that SLU will never advance past the second round of the NCAA’s. NIL was the final nail to the coffin. I’ll say it again, WashU was ahead of the curve by focusing only on STUDENT athletes. 

If you haven’t been to a WashU game, then go. It is a good atmosphere. Like high school. My guess is that most people will come back to D1 because it is fun to watch this level of play. Also, even if they are getting paid, there will still be the same development of young people. Having money will create egos, like the NBA, but most players won’t get anything or barely anything. Think about how fun the tournament will be when a team with a payroll of $10 million gets beat by a team with a payroll of $0.0. Which could happen every year.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

How no one at SLU ever put the pieces in place to get a NIL deal between Okoro, who is from Imo, Nigeria and Imo's is sort of mind boggling.  I guess getting every dime possible flowing into the athletic department instead of NIL was more important.

There is a half baked NCAA rule out there that foreign players can only get NIL $$ from a sponsor out of their home country.  Yeah, it's stupid but it's there.  Remember the posts on this board in 2021 about Lorentsson sponsoring IKEA, Linssen Volkswagen, etc.  It certainly isn't fair to the foreign born athletes.  And I don't know how these sponsor based super funding sites work through that.  Set up a Nigerian based fund? 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There is a half baked NCAA rule out there that foreign players can only get NIL $$ from a sponsor out of their home country.  Yeah, it's stupid but it's there.  Remember the posts on this board in 2021 about Lorentsson sponsoring IKEA, Linssen Volkswagen, etc.  It certainly isn't fair to the foreign born athletes.  And I don't know how these sponsor based super funding sites work through that.  Set up a Nigerian based fund? 

I think this rule is not NCAA but has more to do with work visas vs student visas? Maybe?