SLU announces NIL portal

wgstl

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, billiken_roy said:

brian you know i was never over the top for collins.  particularly the man collins tried to be this past year.   i thought he was a very good point guard, but not the next coming of oscar robertson. 

i hope for collins sake he is good enough to get major minutes at tennessee next year.   i am not as sure as you are.  i do know if this play doesnt work out for him, the option of coming back in the future after his basketball days are over to st louis and being a legend and winning off that is gone.  so he really does need to win for himself now.  

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

brian you know i was never over the top for collins.  particularly the man collins tried to be this past year.   i thought he was a very good point guard, but not the next coming of oscar robertson. 

i hope for collins sake he is good enough to get major minutes at tennessee next year.   i am not as sure as you are.  i do no if this play doesnt work out for him, the future coming back to st louis and being a legend and winning off that is gone.  

I know you weren't one of those people Roy.

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Who is Tyler Coleman? Please inform a SLU alumnus (x2) but out of towner.

I just clicked on the Twitter link. I think he is trying act like an agent to these high school kids. It is funny, I think he started an athletic thing called Elite Amateur Sports, but the brand image shows EAS on it. It took me a while to figure out that it was not “EA Sports.” My guess is that eventually he will have to change that name. ;) 

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This could end very badly for Tyler.

I wish that guy would just go away. His name only pops up a couple times a year but every time it does I just want to smack him. 
Twitter is a full of idiots and A-holes and some how that guy bothers me more than everyone else. 

Westy03 likes this

People are going a little overboard on the "sky is falling" NIL talk. As Legend states, this is a lot bigger than fans siphoning their paychecks to support the basketball players. Dr. Chaifetz is obviously invested in the program, and has put his money where his mouth is, along with several other notable donors. Chris May has always seemed pretty good at fundraising, hasn't he? We might be behind the curve, but it seems like the wheels are at least in motion.

rgbilliken and BilliesBy40 like this

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So May says this has been in the works for 2 months, but Ross said he wouldn’t return phone calls to the guy that should have been at the heart of these discussions. Can someone please explain how these both could be true?

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

So May says this has been in the works for 2 months, but Ross said he wouldn’t return phone calls to the guy that should have been at the heart of these discussions. Can someone please explain how these both could be true?

My guess - and I am not one to defend May - is that May and the rest of the AD have been trying to determine how much involvement they can have in coordinating a “collective”. Such a setup is different than this NIL portal, so it’s possible both things are true.

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

That's easy.  The AD didn't have a good answer for interested donors at the time that they called.  So they contacted an outside agency to come up with a solution.  Now they can direct interested donors to that agency.

HoosierPal likes this

29 minutes ago, DOC said:

Maybe I got them mixed up but I thought it was @cgeldmacher who said he didn't get a call back after inquiring, and Ross was surprised and disappointed in his response to hearing this?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's easy.  The AD didn't have a good answer for interested donors at the time that they called.  So they contacted an outside agency to come up with a solution.  Now they can direct interested donors to that agency.

You call the Chaifetz family an interested donor? 

And fair enough on the other explanations. Yesterday, it was stated otherwise here. 

10 hours ago, DOC said:

You call the Chaifetz family an interested donor? 

And fair enough on the other explanations. Yesterday, it was stated otherwise here. 

I dont understand. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Maybe I got them mixed up but I thought it was @cgeldmacher who said he didn't get a call back after inquiring, and Ross was surprised and disappointed in his response to hearing this?

To be clear, I contacted the Athletic Department inquiring about NIL deals with players.  If I am remembering correctly, this would have been some time during the season, but I will add that it has been several months.  My basic question at the time was whether or not SLU had any rules relating to NIL and whether or not they could put me in touch with players.  As far as my question about the rules, I did not want to start contacting players and cause an issue that could land the program in hot water.  I also wanted to confirm whether or not there could be an issue if another business in my industry already had a sponsorship deal with the ADept.  Often sponsorship deals will include an exclusivity clause that states that a particular business will be the only - fill in the blank - that can sponsor the program.  I realize that sponsoring the ADept and sponsoring a player in an NIL deal are two very different things, but I did not want to be the cause of any problem for the university.

I would not say that I was ignored, but it was difficult to get a response out of them at first.  There was a lot of phone tag.  In the end, I was told that the University and the Athletic Department did not have any rules in place about NIL and could not intervene directly as far as putting me in contact with players.  That was the end of the communication.

Now that I have read the rules that they have come up with, I believe that the position they took at the time was in line with the rules they just published.  They will not intervene or act as any sort of intermediary between players and potential NIL sponsors.  I believe that there are probably very valid reasons behind this.  I also understand the delay that may have occurred in getting back to me since the rules were probably being worked on during the same time that my phone calls were placed.

At the time, my business was just spitballing about this idea.  When I explained to my partners that there were not any rules in place for this sort of thing, the initial interest tapered off.  We did not want to enter into a deal where the parameters were somewhat unknown and we did not know who we might be causing problems for.  Now that there are rules in place, we will have to decide if we are interested again.  I would be, but I am not the only person who is a decision maker at my business.

-in the works for two months, what was the ADept doing since July?

-and the semantics of the entire NIL deal are hilarious (not SLU's doing), the school can't put donors in touch with players but the school can contract with a firm that will put donors in touch with players? funny stuff

51 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-in the works for two months, what was the ADept doing since July?

-and the semantics of the entire NIL deal are hilarious (not SLU's doing), the school can't put donors in touch with players but the school can contract with a firm that will put donors in touch with players? funny stuff

We're months ahead of every other mid-major in America.  The only other schools that have an NIL portal in place are well-funded behemoths.