NIL Talk

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

For starters, that guy sucks. 

Is there any evidence of him supporting St. Louis though? In my experience ~95% of St. Louis doesn't know 1) who he is 2) that he's from STL.   

I'm pretty sure he and Jim McKelvey are a big reason the Cortex development went through. They also committed a ton of money to building a major office for Square here. And donated a ton of money to Missouri teachers a few years back. I wouldn't say he's done nothing for St. Louis. Could he do more? Sure, but there are quite a few uber rich people from St. Louis that do much less. 

MusicCityBilliken and AGB91 like this

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

I'm pretty sure he and Jim McKelvey are a big reason the Cortex development went through. They also committed a ton of money to building a major office for Square here. And donated a ton of money to Missouri teachers a few years back. I wouldn't say he's done nothing for St. Louis. Could he do more? Sure, but there are quite a few uber rich people from St. Louis that do much less. 

I think he also started a program that trains people for IT jobs and I believe the tuition is free.  It may be a 8 month training program.  Somebody may know more about this then me.

18 hours ago, Littlebill said:

lol what

I was once at a trivia night event where of ~15 teams only two teams knew that Jack Dorsey was from St. Louis and one of those two teams was mine. I was the only one on my team that knew it, too. 

Between that event and a variety of other conversations I've met no more people than I can count on two hands that knew Jack Dorsey founded Twitter and that he was from St. Louis. Maybe that's just a major coincidence, doubt it though. 

2 hours ago, hmart23 said:

The question was sincere! I've never personally heard of him being involved in the community, I could just be out of the loop. 

7 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The question was sincere! I've never personally heard of him being involved in the community, I could just be out of the loop. 

You are. Dorsey may be a slight weirdo, but he gives away a ton of money. His approach is interesting if you have a few minutes to google it. 

46 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

37 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

You are. Dorsey may be a slight weirdo, but he gives away a ton of money. His approach is interesting if you have a few minutes to google it. 

I think what you are seeing here is the difference between a celebrity tech billionaire (Zuckerberg, Bezos, etc.) and non-celebrity billionaire (Jack Dorsey).  It doesn't  necessarily mean Dorsey is less philanthropic.  It just means that he gets less attention for it.

52 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Got it! Yeah of all the billionaires I think he does some good for the sake of doing good

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think what you are seeing here is the difference between a celebrity tech billionaire (Zuckerberg, Bezos, etc.) and non-celebrity billionaire (Jack Dorsey).  It doesn't  necessarily mean Dorsey is less philanthropic.  It just means that he gets less attention for it.

I admire someone who does their philanthropy quietly. 

From the Post Dispatch  

Last week, Gov. Bill Lee signed an amendment to Tennessee’s NIL state law that allows the schools to have “direct and public relationships” with the collectives that pay their athletes for their NIL, as described by the Knoxville News Sentinel. Under the revised state law, Tennessee Volunteers football coach Josh Heupel — or pick any college coach in the state, like Memphis basketball’s Penny Hardaway or Vanderbilt baseball’s Tim Corbin — can attend and promote NIL fundraising events and host NIL reps on campus to meet with recruits and players. According to the legislative summary, the amendment removes the law’s original provision that coaches and school officials may not be involved in the “development, operation or promotion of a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete's (NIL)” as long as they don’t “coerce, compel or interfere” in an athlete’s decision to attend their school.

Translation: Heupel, Hardaway, Corbin and Vols basketball coaches Rick Barnes and Kellie Harper can now develop, operate and promote endorsement deals for a recruit or current athlete. The new law blurs the line between the coaches and the collectives that pay the athletes, essentially turning coaches into their own general managers.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Peace and harmony at the U.

This is the wrong Wong to have in the team, he will do his best to drain as much money as he can out of his NIL arrangement. And, of course, everyone else will follow suit if someone does it. The only way to stop this is to do as the Miami Heat did with Willie Reed. They gave him an excellent offer and he just refused it and walked out to find someone to pay him what he thought he was worth. Of course, the Miami Heat door remained closed after he left, when professional players walk out they are not welcomed back with open arms. He had a great offer, he refused it, too bad, the team moves on. This is exactly the way colleges will have to start dealing with players in the new world of NIL.

Watch Yuri, he won this bout. Now the question becomes: when is he going to start asking for a raise like Wong did?  Keep in mind that I am not saying this will happen right away or within a definite time interval, but it is, in my opinion, extremely likely to happen.

Think of it, I have to assume that Yuri believes the team will go nowhere without him. If he follows this blog he knows how the MBMs will beg him to stay regardless of what it will cost (as long as it is someone else that pays). Eventually, he will take a walk, "just to be checked by the NBA," as he did this year. Then we will see what happens.

At some point in time, sooner for the smaller schools with smaller alumni bases than for the big state schools, the money spigot for NIL will run dry, then what?

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Peace and harmony at the U.

Did the money guy (Ruiz apparently) who did this deal fail to put an exclusivity clause in the deal? Would this not mean that he could sue Wong if he broke the contract? After all, Wong sold his Name, Image and Likeness in the contract he signed with Ruiz, so if there was an exclusivity clause for a given period of time, wouldn’t that mean he couldn’t sign another NIL deal without being sued for breach of contract?

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Did the money guy (Ruiz apparently) who did this deal fail to put an exclusivity clause in the deal? Would this not mean that he could sue Wong if he broke the contract? After all, Wong sold his Name, Image and Likeness in the contract he signed with Ruiz, so if there was an exclusivity clause for a given period of time, wouldn’t that mean he couldn’t sign another NIL deal without being sued for breach of contract?

Yes, this is the way NIL may well develop, like it happens in real life with lots of lawsuits, contracts with all manners of clauses, and court rulings. This should be, and should stay that way, away from control by the coaches and the schools. If this type of environment develops, it may well affect the powerhouse schools as well as the smaller ones. Boys and girls, this is a minefield that you do not want to walk into.

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

From the Post Dispatch  

Last week, Gov. Bill Lee signed an amendment to Tennessee’s NIL state law that allows the schools to have “direct and public relationships” with the collectives that pay their athletes for their NIL, as described by the Knoxville News Sentinel. Under the revised state law, Tennessee Volunteers football coach Josh Heupel — or pick any college coach in the state, like Memphis basketball’s Penny Hardaway or Vanderbilt baseball’s Tim Corbin — can attend and promote NIL fundraising events and host NIL reps on campus to meet with recruits and players. According to the legislative summary, the amendment removes the law’s original provision that coaches and school officials may not be involved in the “development, operation or promotion of a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete's (NIL)” as long as they don’t “coerce, compel or interfere” in an athlete’s decision to attend their school.

Translation: Heupel, Hardaway, Corbin and Vols basketball coaches Rick Barnes and Kellie Harper can now develop, operate and promote endorsement deals for a recruit or current athlete. The new law blurs the line between the coaches and the collectives that pay the athletes, essentially turning coaches into their own general managers.

-it's the wild, wild west

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It is my basic understanding of NIL deals that they cannot specifically require the player to play for a certain school.  I'm not 100% sure that is accurate regarding players already at the school or if you just can't use the NIL deal to require kids to sign at a certain school.  Either way, I'm sure there could be creative language in there that doesn't necessarily require Wong to play for Miami for the NIL deal so that it doesn't run afoul of NIL guidelines, but effectively requires him to remain a Miami basketball player.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  You could see this coming a mile away when Miami was so brazen about giving Nijel Pack all that money.  Why wouldn't guys already on the team be jealous and want more?

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It is my basic understanding of NIL deals that they cannot specifically require the player to play for a certain school.  I'm not 100% sure that is accurate regarding players already at the school or if you just can't use the NIL deal to require kids to sign at a certain school.  Either way, I'm sure there could be creative language in there that doesn't necessarily require Wong to play for Miami for the NIL deal so that it doesn't run afoul of NIL guidelines, but effectively requires him to remain a Miami basketball player.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  You could see this coming a mile away when Miami was so brazen about giving Nijel Pack all that money.  Why wouldn't guys already on the team be jealous and want more?

I’m not arguing that he couldn’t play elsewhere, I’m saying an exclusivity clause would stop him from getting NIL money from anyone else.  If you had an exclusivity clause in the deal for that players Name, Image and Likeness, you just sue the player, anyone who signs him to another deal, and possibly the coach or university (in light of Tennessee’s new law about allowing coaches and the university to be part of the NIL deal) for breach of contract if they sign a NIL deal with someone else.