NIL Talk

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yes, but owning/operating a business and being a star athlete are not necessarily occupations that are compatible with one another, and there is the small problem of maintaining the minimum required school grades involved in here as well. You think a regular high school kid can do all of these things at the same time?

A “regular” high school kid probably can’t do those.  But, Ellie is apparently DOING it now.  Read todays Post-Dispatch under the Scholar Athletes section for Webster Groves. She wouldn’t be there if the grades weren’t there. The company is real, check it out on the web.  As to her soccer athletic ability, I will defer to Coach Shields, her record here at SLU gives her that credibility. 
I would say she’s FAR from a “regular” high school kid…

Old guy and slufanskip like this

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

A “regular” high school kid probably can’t do those.  But, Ellie is apparently DOING it now.  Read todays Post-Dispatch under the Scholar Athletes section for Webster Groves. She wouldn’t be there if the grades weren’t there. The company is real, check it out on the web.  As to her soccer athletic ability, I will defer to Coach Shields, her record here at SLU gives her that credibility. 

So I think this is something that also has changed, that no one talks about. Drew Hanlen "couldn't" make money off his business that he started while playing at Belmont years back.  Matt Enright started his sports development business with the idea of making money and will begin playing college basketball next year.   I don't know if this was changed with the NIL or separately recently, but seems that something has changed. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

So I think this is something that also has changed, that no one talks about. Drew Hanlen "couldn't" make money off his business that he started while playing at Belmont years back.  Matt Enright started his sports development business with the idea of making money and will begin playing college basketball next year.   I don't know if this was changed with the NIL or separately recently, but seems that something has changed. 

You are absolutely correct, and we will not know which way the changes will go, it will take years to see what comes out of this change.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:56 AM, Lord Elrond said:

Such a well-rounded kid.  WGHS has a really cool student entrepreneurship program/business incubator that offers students course credit while helping them develop their businesses, and I believe her business is part of that.  And if she wants to continue down that route, we all know that SLU has a great entrepreneurship program too.

Article here about how UNC AD Bubba Cunningham got on the NIL bandwagon early and how it’s creating lucrative deals for some of it’s athletes, all, apparently, within whatever guidelines exist. Says that Armando Bacot is cashing in heavily, so much so that it was a major influence in his deciding to come back for his extra year.

The company, BrandRGroup, is mentioned as the one which provided an early framework of how NIL could work, and is now coordinating UNC’s NIL program. I’m no UNC fan, but you have to give them props for getting out ahead on NIL. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article261375882.html

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Article here about how UNC AD Bubba Cunningham got on the NIL bandwagon early and how it’s creating lucrative deals for some of it’s athletes, all, apparently, within whatever guidelines exist. Says that Armando Bacot is cashing in heavily, so much so that it was a major influence in his deciding to come back for his extra year.

The company, BrandRGroup, is mentioned as the one which provided an early framework of how NIL could work, and is now coordinating UNC’s NIL program. I’m no UNC fan, but you have to give them props for getting out ahead on NIL. 

It helps to have a network of wealthy boosters in place, including dozens of current and former NBA players.

People are what  they are, you cannot make an apple tree produce oranges. Obviously the AD at UNC has a level of business ability which is probably lacking among most other college ADs.  If he could see an opportunity to get ahead instead of fearing change because it is change, much the better for him and for UNC, they got ahead early in the race.

4 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Minor detail that doesn't really matter, but Bacot isn't coming back for his extra COVID year.  This coming season will be his normal senior year.  He could theoretically come back for another year after this season.

UNC's main guys (Bacot, Davis, Love) are exactly the type of marginal NBA prospects / excellent college athletes that are benefitting the most from NIL and IMO are examples of NIL working / being good for college basketball (if not necessarily good for mid-major programs).  There are of course numerous examples of NIL being shady / underhanded & being bad overall for college basketball, so important to point out the opposite.  Without NIL, these guys would have likely turned pro & college basketball would have lost 3 guys who because of their NCAA run have become notable players.

I'd put Drew Timme at Gonzaga in this category of athlete as well.  Timme entered the draft & is going through the process still.  He may go late in the 2nd round, but IMO it will be difficult for him to catch on with an NBA team.  He very well may pull out of the draft, but I wonder if the ample NIL opportunities for UNC made their decisions to stay in college a no brainer whereas Timme's is more difficult because of less NIL coming his way.

majerus mojo likes this

Honestly, companies should strike this year, while the iron is hot. Right now, these sorts of advertisements would have an impact. Right now, fans really care about the advertisements for these kids. Years from now, we may ignore it like all other ads.

Local coffee shops, Javonte Perkins nickname is Perkolator. Put 2 and 2 together.

Pi Pizza, how about the Okoro deep dish.

Imo’s, you should pay the most, considering how we put up with your crazy pizza (which is delicious).

I found this article from Market Watch, published by msn.com today, which may clarify why getting the money and contributions necessary for high level NIL payments is likely to become quite difficult. Check this out:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/inflation-will-be-higher-for-longer-and-you-re-not-going-to-like-what-comes-next/ar-AAXFJSs?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=W069&cvid=95281d3e37d94f98afb29ba345648c25

If this scenario happens, only the billionaires will have money available to provide funds.

20 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I found this article from Market Watch, published by msn.com today, which may clarify why getting the money and contributions necessary for high level NIL payments is likely to become quite difficult. Check this out:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/inflation-will-be-higher-for-longer-and-you-re-not-going-to-like-what-comes-next/ar-AAXFJSs?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=W069&cvid=95281d3e37d94f98afb29ba345648c25

If this scenario happens, only the billionaires will have money available to provide funds.

Marketwatch loves to post the most pessimistic articles and talking points because that is what gets the clicks. Media in 2022

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Marketwatch loves to post the most pessimistic articles and talking points because that is what gets the clicks. Media in 2022

The economy is F'ed for a while because of inflation.   It is going to hurt and already hurts.  Inflation never just goes away overnight.  That said, there will still be plenty of people willing to part with their less valuable dollars for their school across the country.

• 2 weeks later...