NIL Talk

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Wong came in asking for more money. I misunderstood and thought the deal had been withdrawn, however it may just have remained the same. He did not get any more money from Ruiz. Promises are promises not contractual obligations. Wong got nothing extra except for promises. Is this a win?

I suspect the promises will turn into cash, but we shall see.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The nation’s top wide receiver, Pitt’s Jordan Addison, is leaving Pitt for a $2 mil. NIL deal from USC. Apparently, Pitt will allege tampering. Can’t imagine anything will come of that though.

College sports as we knew it is over. The cat is not only out of the bag, but multiple cats have burst through the bag. Not sure how this ever gets reigned in.

imagine that.   USC cheating.   who'd have thought.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

The nation’s top wide receiver, Pitt’s Jordan Addison, is leaving Pitt for a $2 mil. NIL deal from USC. Apparently, Pitt will allege tampering. Can’t imagine anything will come of that though.

College sports as we knew it is over. The cat is not only out of the bag, but multiple cats have burst through the bag. Not sure how this ever gets reigned in.

I don't understand what USC boosters get from spending $2 million on a receiver.  If USC doesn't win the national championship, you're just out of $2 million.  

rgbilliken likes this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't understand what USC boosters get from spending $2 million on a receiver.  If USC doesn't win the national championship, you're just out of $2 million.  

People with money don't mind spending money on what they like - no sum is too much.  What is eventually going to happen is that after a few years, these boosters will figure out that you can't just go out an buy championships - it just isn't that easy.

Old guy and rgbilliken like this

32 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s strange no one on this board seemed concerned when Lincoln Riley abandoned the OU players

Not really.

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s strange no one on this board seemed concerned when Lincoln Riley abandoned the OU players

It’s a dog eat dog world in college sports these days. Actually, it’s more like swimming in a pool stocked with a school of hungry voracious Great Whites. 

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It’s a dog eat dog world in college sports these days. Actually, it’s more like swimming in a pool stocked with a school of hungry voracious Great Whites. 

And the score, using soccer parlance, is PLAYERS 1 - COACHES NIL

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Actually you can go scuba div[ng among sharks with little risk of being attacked.

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

Actually you can go scuba div[ng among sharks with little risk of being attacked.

That seems too much like playing Rothstein Roulette. Count me out.

6 hours ago, cheeseman said:

When you’re hoping congress will come and save you, you know it’s an absolute mess…

willie likes this

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

When you’re hoping congress will come and save you, you know it’s an absolute mess…

Best line in that article - a mess that is entirely a product of the NCAA’s ineptitude and unwillingness to acknowledge that this is professional sports.

Say what you will about NIL, but I just bought some pickles. Partly because the brand looks cool, and partly because of the story around Fred Thatch. Maybe the first time I have bought pickles in a decade. There is something to be said about hometown marketing through a hometown team. It cuts through an otherwise endless sea of bleh.

21 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Say what you will about NIL, but I just bought some pickles. Partly because the brand looks cool, and partly because of the story around Fred Thatch. Maybe the first time I have bought pickles in a decade. There is something to be said about hometown marketing through a hometown team. It cuts through an otherwise endless sea of bleh.

That is an excellent point! They are delicious, give them a try if you haven’t tried them and like pickles. A small growing local company making a great product and using a local athlete to promote it is a great story all around.

Old guy and thetorch like this

After reading a few threads on NIL, I have noticed some reoccurring questions on NIL. What do the donors expect to get out of it? Why do they do it?  What are the downsides of the NIL for athletes and donors?  If the NCAA doesn't enforce or keep track of the NIL, who will? No worries...just click the link below for some answers and some additional food for thought  as we all get ready to contribute to the SLUSH fund...Saint Louis University Sports Help.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/ncaa-nil-irs-taxes-collective/

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

After reading a few threads on NIL, I have noticed some reoccurring questions on NIL. What do the donors expect to get out of it? Why do they do it?  What are the downsides of the NIL for athletes and donors?  If the NCAA doesn't enforce or keep track of the NIL, who will? No worries...just click the link below for some answers and some additional food for thought  as we all get ready to contribute to the SLUSH fund...Saint Louis University Sports Help.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/ncaa-nil-irs-taxes-collective/

Excellent point, the IRS is definitely going to say something about this. Any money the player gets is definitely taxable (being paid for your Name, Image or Likeness is definitely taxable income).  Giving to your university is covered under charitable contributions and you can deduct as charitable, but NIL is a business expense. Not sure letting some kid drive a car around is a legitimate business expense, same with paying for and never using a player’s NIL, is that really a legitimate business expense? The IRS will have questions, I’m sure.  And If you are a private individual, not a business….

When this was all under the table, I’m sure everyone was able to hide this better, but now it’s definitely in the players interest to report everything on their taxes, which gives the IRS a nice starting point. While the NCAA’s enforcement abilities may have been a joke, I don’t think many people would say that about the IRS.