NIL Talk

The power 5 schools and conferences may not be able to control this monster that has been unleashed. Football schools will have to decide between what it cost for a top QB and their bb program. Conferences might not be significant in attracting top players.

Let's say for grins, Elon Musk is a fan of a mid major team. Money is the only thing keeping any school from the very top recruits in the country. Enough money and a player will go anywhere. Right now it might even be a good investment.

Imagine the publicity of taking an obscure team, from a non power conference and signing the best players in the country. Beating out the traditional power teams for recruits and jumping to the top of the top 25 would turn college basketball on its head.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bonner89 said:

Hockey. Unlike Chaifetz, the programs can use it for OOC games against the blue bloods.

I was talking specifically about basketball.  You are correct on the hockey front.  It has been hashed & re-hashed here that SLU largely dropped the ball disbanding their hockey program.

4 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The power 5 schools and conferences may not be able to control this monster that has been unleashed. Football schools will have to decide between what it cost for a top QB and their bb program. Conferences might not be significant in attracting top players.

Let's say for grins, Elon Musk is a fan of a mid major team. Money is the only thing keeping any school from the very top recruits in the country. Enough money and a player will go anywhere. Right now it might even be a good investment.

Imagine the publicity of taking an obscure team, from a non power conference and signing the best players in the country. Beating out the traditional power teams for recruits and jumping to the top of the top 25 would turn college basketball on its head.

Maybe Chris May should send Elon a Billiken hoodie and invite him to the Lou to see a game.

38 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

I wouldn't dismiss Lindenwood. Of the three D1 schools in the region, they have football and will use it to their advantage. St. Charles is growing every year. Not to mention they have the family arena nearby that is Chaifetz Arena's equal.

In no way is the Family Arena the equal of Chaifetz.

JohnnyJumpUp and JMM28 like this

13 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

In no way is the Family Arena the equal of Chaifetz.

The family arena is a freaking dump.  Chaifetz is one of the best designed arenas I've ever been in.  There is absolutely no comparison between the two except for their similar size.

JohnnyJumpUp and JMM28 like this

Again, Lindenwood doesn’t play in the Family Arena, they play on campus in the Hyland Arena, capacity 3,270. In looking at the box scores of 4 games they played this year, attendance was 236 on 1/31/22, 530 on 2/5/22, 401 on 2/14/22, and 671 on 2/24/22. Might their attendance grow some day to where they to think about leasing the Family Arena? Maybe, but they look like they are a long way away from needing the extra capacity, especially when they already have a place they own that they aren’t filling.

10 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

There will always be edge cases.  But 99% of mid-majors don't have multi-billionaire basketball boosters.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

What will be fascinating is whether schools with incredibly rich alumni bases, such as Stanford, will all of a sudden rise to the top of sports. In the past, those fans did not care, or were unwilling to engage in the gray legal area of funding players. Now the later issue has been removed.

4 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

He definitely should to Jack Dorsey. That should be a no brainer even before this change. Same with any near Billionaire. Give them front row seats for free.

For starters, that guy sucks. 

Is there any evidence of him supporting St. Louis though? In my experience ~95% of St. Louis doesn't know 1) who he is 2) that he's from STL.   

3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What will be fascinating is whether schools with incredibly rich alumni bases, such as Stanford, will all of a sudden rise to the top of sports. In the past, those fans did not care, or were unwilling to engage in the gray legal area of funding players. Now the later issue has been removed.

What percentage of tech and finance billionaires are sports fans?

-the only comparison I see between Chaifetz and Family Arena is both have roofs, seats and parking issues

-no doubt we have advantages being in a major market, however there are many alumni bases significantly represented in C-suites around St Louis, I hope the SLU folks are getting approached to support NIL and The U not expecting them to come to the NIL

-one advantage a college town could have over us is in many cases the school is the focus of the area which could lead to more businesses being aware of the school and willing to support NIL's

-again, I don't expect Dr Chaifetz and a few others to foot the bill for all things SLU athletics

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that it's a challenge to come up with 5 names kind of proves my point.  The percentage of tech and finance billionaires who are also sports fans is tiny.  Theoretically, Stanford could rise in the post NIL landscape.  In reality, their wealthiest alumni don't care about sports.

There are over five tech guys that own NBA teams alone.  Even more finance guys.

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that it's a challenge to come up with 5 names kind of proves my point.  The percentage of tech and finance billionaires who are also sports fans is tiny.  Theoretically, Stanford could rise in the post NIL landscape.  In reality, their wealthiest alumni don't care about sports.

For grins I just googled professional sport owners from finance . The answer was 23. . They have to spend their money on something. It’s the ultimate club. I also think Jack Dorsey could care less about sports or even St Louis. 

The arena doesn’t matter.  Lindenwood will be a brand new D-1 team in one of the lowest level conferences in the D-1.  SIU-E did the same thing like 10-15 years ago and they haven’t improved their position at all.  Lindenwood isn’t going to be taking NIL dollars away from SLU any time soon.

I’d be more worried about Lindenwood poaching Rammer, an alumnus, than I would worry about them getting NIL dollars.

JMM28 likes this