NIL Talk

Hi guys -

Just a thought, as I mentioned on MMP's twitter space (which is good stuff - I really recommend), to compete with this kind of stuff going forward, where I am looking is the NIL. There was a concerning tidbit or two about the AD's lack of movement on any NIL issue. It is a little bit of murky water here - I know the school can't do anything directly as far as getting deals together, but there isn't anything in place right now and that is concerning.

Do we need to get an agency together? Where do we go next? I know we have some people here willing to do the legwork on this. I'm more than willing. What does that look like going forward?

https://slubillikens.com/documents/2022/4/11/SLU_NIL_Policy.pdf

This seems more like a social media supplement than anything else, but I guess its something?

https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/1/12/billiken-athletics-saint-louis-inflcr-launch-multi-year-partnership.aspx

If nothing else, this should be a call to action, but everyone has different personalities

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you are thinking.  It seems like the University is saying that it cannot be involved.  There are probably very good reasons for that.  However, this is happening at other schools.  So, there must be someone at those schools taking the lead in putting something together for the athletes.  I do not have the extra time to do it, but if someone else did, I would lend all the support I could.

I had some conversations with folks a few weeks back, they all kind of recommended not wasting the effort unless I could get a big fish on board with significant $ to get it started. Basically you need the big $ folks first and then figure out a way to open it up to all fans. Kind of zapped my desire to dig much deeper, but they were all like don’t waste your time, folks connected to the athletic department need to figure it out. I think that is why we are seeing a lot of these led by former players. Chris Sloan would be great for this.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We talked about this on our Twitter spaces today and there seemed to be a lot of interest in this subject. I think @TheA_Bomb had asked about it previously. I know there are others interested.

Yes I've been a proponent of SLU starting something like the above. Maybe crowd sourced and if possible to a 501C to allow donations to be tax deductible.

I'm not in St. Louis and I'll be out of the country part of this year and next but I'm willing to help put together a plan.  Big programs always had more pull and money.  The combination with free transfer is rocking the sport.  I cheer for SLU and whatever players are on the team.  I want SLU to win.  I'd prefer that players I like stay but if that's not the case anymore.  The program belongs to alumni. Coaches are hired guns, now players (not all) are becoming hired guns too.

I make no value judgment on the system or players wanting to get money.  I just want SLU to adapt so SLU can be competitive.

TaLBErt and Old guy like this

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yes I've been a proponent of SLU starting something like the above. Maybe crowd sourced and if possible to a 501C to allow donations to be tax deductible.

I'm not in St. Louis and I'll be out of the country part of this year and next but I'm willing to help put together a plan.  Big programs always had more pull and money.  The combination with free transfer is rocking the sport.  I cheer for SLU and whatever players are on the team.  I want SLU to win.  I'd prefer that players I like stay but if that's not the case anymore.  The program belongs to alumni. Coaches are hired guns, now players (not all) are becoming hired guns too.

I make no value judgment on the system or players wanting to get money.  I just want SLU to adapt so SLU can be competitive.

This was one of the conclusions I made today, too. I don't love everything about this system. We have to play the game, though.

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I had some conversations with folks a few weeks back, they all kind of recommended not wasting the effort unless I could get a big fish on board with significant $ to get it started. Basically you need the big $ folks first and then figure out a way to open it up to all fans. Kind of zapped my desire to dig much deeper, but they were all like don’t waste your time, folks connected to the athletic department need to figure it out. I think that is why we are seeing a lot of these led by former players. Chris Sloan would be great for this.

Get 50-100 people to commit to 2500-5000 a year. That gives you between 100k and 500k a year as a base number. Have some big fish that can pony up as some big fish players come along. Organize it as a 501c3 or 501c7 - might not be able to pull off c3 right away. 

This isn't rocket science and SLU is behind the curve if they don't have a group already doing this. 

If anyone is already planning it, DM me. 

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This was one of the conclusions I made today, too. I don't love everything about this system. We have to play the game, though.

It's the Real Politik of college sports.  We can lament the death of college sports as we know it and it will have zero effect, 2 tears in a bucket.  I'll stay a fan and staying a fan is accepting this new normal.  "Lead follow or get out of the way." -Lee Iacocca

6 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Hi guys -

Just a thought, as I mentioned on MMP's twitter space (which is good stuff - I really recommend), to compete with this kind of stuff going forward, where I am looking is the NIL. There was a concerning tidbit or two about the AD's lack of movement on any NIL issue. It is a little bit of murky water here - I know the school can't do anything directly as far as getting deals together, but there isn't anything in place right now and that is concerning.

Do we need to get an agency together? Where do we go next? I know we have some people here willing to do the legwork on this. I'm more than willing. What does that look like going forward?

https://slubillikens.com/documents/2022/4/11/SLU_NIL_Policy.pdf

This seems more like a social media supplement than anything else, but I guess its something?

https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/1/12/billiken-athletics-saint-louis-inflcr-launch-multi-year-partnership.aspx

If nothing else, this should be a call to action, but everyone has different personalities

-who is shocked by this? not me, don't know if true but I think well with the realm of possibility

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

This seems like a perfect thing for Troy Robertson or Ryan Leuchtefeld to spearhead last year.

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Get 50-100 people to commit to 2500-5000 a year. That gives you between 100k and 500k a year as a base number. Have some big fish that can pony up as some big fish players come along. Organize it as a 501c3 or 501c7 - might not be able to pull off c3 right away. 

This isn't rocket science and SLU is behind the curve if they don't have a group already doing this. 

If anyone is already planning it, DM me. 

Somewhere there is a SLU decision maker who concluded that any amount of NLI fund donations is just less money for University donations.  I’d wager that’s the crux of the reason for no NLI movement from AD. 

willie and SLU_Lax like this

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Somewhere there is a SLU decision maker who concluded that any amount of NLI fund donations is just less money for University donations.  I’d wager that’s the crux of the reason for no NLI movement from AD. 

I think this is sadly correct.

There technically can’t be any connection to the athletic department. The athletic department should be doing what they can to encourage those who are interested to form something, though. 

There are some departments that think any dollars going to NIL deals are dollars not going to AD coffers. I’d contend in most mid major cases, that’s shortsighted. Ideally you have boosters funding NIL deals that is attracting a higher caliber of player leading to more wins. More wins leads to more revenue from casual fans to make up for the incremental dollars going to NIL. And the big boosters are still going to be kicking money in. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

There technically can’t be any connection to the athletic department. The athletic department should be doing what they can to encourage those who are interested to form something, though. 

That is what I meant by saying the athletic department while technically not running whatever form this takes, needed/needs to be involved on the front end getting folks together to come up with a coordinated plan. There also has to be at least some level of communication with the basketball program on this. The significant SLU boosters need to understand how the landscape is changing and it was fairly apparent to me in DC folks were not aware of what was already going on at BCS programs where this really took off on the football side. After DC I was ready to help lead the charge, but after having some discussions it really started to look like a full time job and needing to get a number of folks involved to get it up and running (first thinking thru what form it would take, developing that, and fundraising). I don't think many of us have the time to take this on. So in my mind you essentially need a group of boosters to spearhead it using their contacts to help with various aspects of getting this off of the ground and likely having someone as the face of it who is knocking on doors of the boosters and the local business community explaining how college athletics is changing and what the Billikens need in order to stay competitive. As we started thinking thru what all was needed, it really became apparent this was something that needed to be coordinated with a number of folks and viewed as more of a business. But also the athletic department and basketball program needed to be leading the charge at least behind the scenes.

5 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Pretty sad if the higher ups haven't figured out by  now that a successful basketball program is good for the university in general.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is what I meant by saying the athletic department while technically not running whatever form this takes, needed/needs to be involved on the front end getting folks together to come up with a coordinated plan. There also has to be at least some level of communication with the basketball program on this. The significant SLU boosters need to understand how the landscape is changing and it was fairly apparent to me in DC folks were not aware of what was already going on at BCS programs where this really took off on the football side. After DC I was ready to help lead the charge, but after having some discussions it really started to look like a full time job and needing to get a number of folks involved to get it up and running (first thinking thru what form it would take, developing that, and fundraising). I don't think many of us have the time to take this on. So in my mind you essentially need a group of boosters to spearhead it using their contacts to help with various aspects of getting this off of the ground and likely having someone as the face of it who is knocking on doors of the boosters and the local business community explaining how college athletics is changing and what the Billikens need in order to stay competitive. As we started thinking thru what all was needed, it really became apparent this was something that needed to be coordinated with a number of folks and viewed as more of a business. But also the athletic department and basketball program needed to be leading the charge at least behind the scenes.

I sadly think think people in many smaller athletic departments don’t want to get onboard with this because they view NIL as money no longer going to fund increases in their salaries.  

When a large chunk of funding for sports programs moves out of the athletic department and being a big time recruiting coach is no longer as important in landing players….. Why do you need high paid AD’s and recruiting coaches?  That becomes a waste of resources.

AnkielBreakers likes this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I sadly think think people in many smaller athletic departments don’t want to get onboard with this because they view NIL as money no longer going to fund increases in their salaries.  

When a large chunk of funding for sports programs moves out of the athletic department and being a big time recruiting coach is no longer as important in landing players….. Why do you need high paid AD’s and recruiting coaches?  That becomes a waste of resources.

I think if you were able to get an audience with a few significant boosters and the coaching staff, that would replace the need for the athletic department needing to be involved. I just don't have any of those connections. Basically a plan needs to be thought thru with the key players getting a framework setup and building from there.

5 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think this is sadly correct.

This is correct, SLU in interested in increasing its endowment and academic ranking much more than it is interested in sports.