St. Louis Billikens Football (2022)

nimble

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn’t even know there was a Pioneer FB conference, so I googled it. It’s pretty well spread out. From Stetson in FL all the way San Diego in CA. Other notables are Dayton, Butler, Davidson, Drake. Travel costs alone  has to be a money burner as the members are geographically diverse. I have no idea if the players are on scholarships. I rather doubt the revenue generated by these teams covers much of the expenses associated with operating a FB program. I don’t see SLU taking on this type of burden and would hate to see resources diverted from the BB program to support a very small time very expensive FB program. 

13 hours ago, brianstl said:

If Dayton, Valpo, Drake and Davidson can operate a Pioneer Conference football team, so can SLU.

No Southern Catholic school on that list. When Catholics cross the Mason-Dixon Line, do they lose the ability to charter schools? There has to be some Catholic U’s in Florida, Louisiana, or Texas, right? Why doesn’t at least one of them commit to football, join D1, and build a program. They should have a niche in the South, tons of talent and no Catholic school to even play D1 for within 900 miles. 

18 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

No Southern Catholic school on that list. When Catholics cross the Mason-Dixon Line, do they lose the ability to charter schools? There has to be some Catholic U’s in Florida, Louisiana, or Texas, right? Why doesn’t at least one of them commit to football, join D1, and build a program. They should have a niche in the South, tons of talent and no Catholic school to even play D1 for within 900 miles. 

And to bring this ridiculousness full circle. My interest in SLU Football is blue font. I don’t think it would or should happen. That said, I want something other than ND for Catholic football, and don’t tell me Boston College, I am not that Catholic. My imaginary school would be in a place where football matters and a program that actually puts winning first.

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The Marianist Order runs St. Mary's University in San Antonio, TX.

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Didn’t you just describe ND to a tee? 

Well, in 1972, yes. :)

As a final note, I will stop posting on this subject. I like and respect ND, but I wanted to vent after their slow start. They seem to have little sense of urgency, or competition, to maintain their fan base. I think that limits their success.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I watched the last 5 minutes of their SEMO game, to hear Rammer. If they weren't Black and Gold, I might get invested in it.

I understand why you would think that lol. Hunter also looks a little bit like Faurot.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-having this discussion until it fades and the thread about going back to the MVC can be started yet again

Or, heaven forbid, how did we ever miss on Blake Ahern. The all time greatest never to wear a Billiken uni.