St. Louis Billikens Football (2022)

nimble

As new as I am to this board, I assume this topic has been brought up before. I fantasize regularly about SLU starting a football program again. I can't think of a single reason why Saint Louis University, the first program to have the forward pass, shouldn't be involved with football. After a quick internet search (always the #1 tool for knowledge) I have gathered that Pioneer League (non scholarship D1 FCS) program spends roughly $1M-$1.5M per year on a football program. This is definitely within SLU's reach. While I know this probably won't happen in my lifetime (without a powerball win from your's truly), I hope Saint Louis University can find a way to embrace their past in today's #1 sport.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, nimble said:

@4thgenBill I'm not an expert with Title IX, but the Pioneer League only has programs that don't provide scholarships which I assume means SLU could give more women the opportunity to play sports in college without scholarships. 

They would have to add sports with the roster spots to accommodate them. So coaches, travel, facilities, etc. Though I am thinking that football has some sort of exemption either in full or part to the title nine numbers. That’s what I get for trying to do work at 9 on a Sunday 

nimble likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Why aren't we going to the moon on our own.  Add a million students at $50K and we could easily compete with Musk.  Good gravy

Nope, you would fall short. Do not forget that you have to house, feed and teach the students. As far as the moon or Mars go, I would let Musk and whoever wants to volunteer to go there have a go at it.

I just checked how Duquesne fields a football team:

they open with Florida State (whoa)

also they have road game to Hawaii.

I have no idea how good they are but do know that the Allegheny and Monongahela River valleys are fertile recruiting areas.   

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have never wanted a SLU football team till this year. I don’t think I can stand to watch Notre Dame anymore. If I have to watch a team fail through incompetence, then let it be SLU. So, let’s ‘wake up the echoes.’

I don't think I can even picture it in my head.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

SLU football undefeated since 1949. Go Billikens! 

This is always my argument against a football team 😎 why come back when we've been on top for so long? 😉

AlumniFan and AGB91 like this

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

If Dayton, Valpo, Drake and Davidson can operate a Pioneer Conference football team, so can SLU.

Before we invest in football, let’s get the Washington Generals, er, the field hockey program beyond the D3 level. (Note: This needs some blue font, but really, why is that program so bad?)

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Before we invest in football, let’s get the Washington Generals, er, the field hockey program beyond the D3 level. (Note: This needs some blue font, but really, why is that program so bad?)

Yeah and what about the cross country team. If N Arizona can have a nationally ranked program, so can SLU. Let’s get the priority straight. Spend recruiting dollars on trips to Africa. No blue font here.

willie likes this

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

So it's interesting to think about right?

I think I've talked about it before but even before talking about being good at Field Hockey(and similarly tennis), I would like to see the Athletic Department try to focus on returning all sports back to campus. But again that's kind of a double edged sword. Field Hockey fields are really expensive and if you're going to spend the money on a new facility you have to be ready to fully fund the program in a way that expects middle of the road or better. Same with Tennis, you literally tore down the on campus tennis facility to build Chaifetz. If you fork out the money for a new tennis facility, you will once again need to support it into a middle of the road program. If you're not ready to fully fund a program after bringing it back to campus, you're wasting time and money.