Rebecca Tillett hired as Women's Basketball Coach

47 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The stated goals and the resume don't match. Am I not allowed to question why Chris May stated that he was looking for regular apps in the NCAA tournament but hired a coach that's only been there once at any competition level or job level nor has she has been anywhere for sustained success? This is why people expected someone like Jackson-Durrett or a head coach that had spent a good number of years at a small program and made at 2 or 3 appearances over that span. That's all I have to go off as a fan. Nobody else was in the interview room... Clearly she knocked it out of the park in there.

Question all you want. I imagine when Duke hired Coach K the fan base was a little underwhelmed by the resume. When Utah hired Rick M probably also a little underwhelmed. Neither had this glowing resume. I’m sure in both instances and in many, many other successful hires it wasn’t always the candidate with the best resume on paper. It was the candidate that made the decision maker believe. 

Just as there have been many hires that possibly underwhelmed the fan base on hire day that turned out great, there have been just as many really good resume hires that turned out bad. Bruce Weber to Illinois anyone? Drew what’s his name from Valpo? Cuonzo? 

I haven’t researched her entire career but she was a successful HS coach and an Asst at Navy. My understanding is she took a bad Longwood program and got them to the tourney in what 4 years? Seems to me that she’s got a very good resume. 

You don’t know if Jackson-Durrett would have been a better hire. You just like the way her resume looks on paper better.  Btw… she has never led a team to the NCAA tourney. She may turn out great but she’s never actually lead a program anywhere. Doesn’t actually seem like her resume meets Chris Nay’s stated goals either

You said Coach Tillett clearly knocked it out of the park in the interview room. Well there you go. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points being thrown on all sides. All I can say is she seems to talk the part, and I am hopeful for the future. I, as many here, also liked Coach Stone. She was one of the nicer coaches I've met. I did believe the program plateaued, but I honestly was comfortable with the plateau (it was better than we've ever had). I like that this hire isn't a complete shakeup. She seems to be a new age Stone, if not a better, more cerebral, eloquent, well-spoken, culture-driven, [insert positive adjective] coach like Katie Shields. Katie is the gold standard for coaching imo.

41 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The stated goals and the resume don't match. Am I not allowed to question why Chris May stated that he was looking for regular apps in the NCAA tournament but hired a coach that's only been there once at any competition level or job level nor has she has been anywhere for sustained success? This is why people expected someone like Jackson-Durrett or a head coach that had spent a good number of years at a small program and made at 2 or 3 appearances over that span. That's all I have to go off as a fan. Nobody else was in the interview room... Clearly she knocked it out of the park in there.

I've got no problem questioning whether a hire matches an AD's stated goals.  I had the same thought.  So, over the past few days I've been educating myself on where the top women's basketball coaches in the A10 come from.  I was surprised that they had modest backgrounds similar to Coach Tillett.

From my point of view, whenever you change a major coach you take a big chance. It is like the market, you put all kinds of work in a new system and after all is said and done, the results may be better or worse than expected. It seldom works as you thought it would. Statistics and probability are one thing, reality is oftentimes something else.

I liked Coach Stone but since Covid WBB and WVB both lost my following just as MBB diminished by fewer visits to campus.

it is done now kind of like national politics once the decision is made most of us move on.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, 3star_recruit said:

I have no idea what Stone made but if you want to point us to some docs, I'm certainly interested.

I didn't see anyone else address this skimming the rest of the thread.

Nothing concrete here, but this is a link to SLU's 990 for the fiscal year 7/1/19 to 6/30/20.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/430654872/202101349349304345/full

If you scroll down you'll get to Part VII "Officers, Directors, Trustee, Key Employees, and Highest Compensated Employees".

The name at the top of the list is familiar: Travis Ford $2,446,588 in compensation during the fiscal year.

A quick scan of the rest of the list and I'm not seeing Lisa Stone's name which tells me that she made less than $704,072 because that is where the list of the 5 highest compensated employees stops (not very informative/useful, sorry).

SLU is able to "hide" compensation for all the non-MBB coaches because they have "professors" (really doctors/surgeons) who are making north of $700k that fill the highly compensated disclosure spots.

Good luck to new coach Tillett. 

we supported coach Stone and think highly of her- the new coach may take us to a new level as men’s and woman’s programs often rise together and Travis Ford is due to have a run and has sure brought us some better talent.  We like up tempo game atmosphere 

slufanskip likes this

On 4/20/2022 at 5:43 AM, Lord Elrond said:

No info that I can tell. I think all the assistant coaches were let go, no word on if any of Coach Tillett’s former assistants came with her. Looks like it was just coach and the old Graduate Assistant Hailey Deistelkamp.

Looks like she brought on of her former assistants from Longwood Ryenn Micaletti.

13 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Looks like she brought on of her former assistants from Longwood Ryenn Micaletti.

Micaletti is the Associate Head Coach.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Tra'Dayja Smith (spelling?) Just announced as assistant coach. Looks like she's just bringing over her Longwood staff at this point.

Smith wasn't on staff at Longwood. She was a fifth-year grad student (2 years JUCO, 3 years Longwood). Surprised she's going straight to an AC position, but hey, I guess Tillett has confidence in Smith's potential.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Smith wasn't on staff at Longwood. She was a fifth-year grad student (2 years JUCO, 3 years Longwood). Surprised she's going straight to an AC position, but hey, I guess Tillett has confidence in Smith's potential.

I only took a brief Google glance and saw Longwood and she was young, thanks for the other info, Pistol. Also related, Ny Toang just entered the transfer portal.

I had a nice sit down with Coach Tillett and have had some additional follow ups with her as well.  She is great.  Very positive, very humble, and very engaging. She went to work immediately and is doing the things you would want her doing.  She was out recruiting before she even had her staff in place.  She is working hard to get to know the area and the lay of the land in regards to girl's basketball.  She's already been to two out of town events looking at girls.  She's made contact with numerous high school coaches and is working on developing those relationships.  She's been told from a number of coaches that SLU has not been a destination school for a lot of the local talent on the girl's side.  As you might expect, she's looking to change that.

She may not be the big splash hire, but it seems like she will represent the school well.  She's a hard worker and has great energy.  Only time will tell, but I'm excited about her future.

Apparently we did get one of Coach Tillett’s former Longwood players, Kennedy Calhoun, a 5-5 freshman PG, originally from Harrisburg, NC, according to wbbblog.com. Averaged 31.1 min/game, 6.7 ppg, 2.2 assists per game. 

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Christy Jordan joins the staff as Director of Ops. Again it appears we're migrating the majority of Longwood's WBB staff to us.

This is Coach Tillett's show now so she will sink or swim with the cast she assembles.  If they are good then she will be good but is they are overmatched then she will be overmatched and gone.