Welcome, Larry Hughes, Jr.!

Pistol

Thinking The Legend won a MVP in an All Star game, might have been in Louisville ???  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking this was like a week before , maybe Derby Classic??? 

Thought he should have won the MVP of the McDonald's game, but somebody else won, if I remember correct

17 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Thinking this was like a week before , maybe Derby Classic??? 

Thought he should have won the MVP of the McDonald's game, but somebody else won, if I remember correct

Larry's MCD AA game was weird.  Very low scoring and the best performances were on the team that lost by 20 points.  Larry had 17 and 9 but his teammate Kenny Gregory won the MVP.

18 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

What’s insane is that if Hughes jr was coming under any other billiken HC in the last 20 years, he’d probably be the top recruit and this board would be going insane about him. He deserves a ton of hype (probably more than we’re giving) but Travis is also doing an unprecedented job bringing in talent. I can’t believe this kid is a “walk-on”.

Playing alongside Hensel Enmanuel in that video...one-armed kid that has an offer from Penny at Memphis. 

Am I the only one that thinks there's no chance he's successful at the college level? He gets so much hype but like imagine playing soccer with only one foot... 

14 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Playing alongside Hensel Enmanuel in that video...one-armed kid that has an offer from Penny at Memphis. 

Am I the only one that thinks there's no chance he's successful at the college level? He gets so much hype but like imagine playing soccer with only one foot... 

A good defender will know which hand he'll drive with imo. 

Bills By 40 likes this

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

What’s insane is that if Hughes jr was coming under any other billiken HC in the last 20 years, he’d probably be the top recruit and this board would be going insane about him. He deserves a ton of hype (probably more than we’re giving) but Travis is also doing an unprecedented job bringing in talent. I can’t believe this kid is a “walk-on”.

59 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Just a guess, but it seems to me his “walk-on” status won’t last more than one year. 

As I said before, I believe the Hughes family does not need the money or the scholarship. In my opinion, they are allowing the scholarship to  pass onto someone that needs it. Larry Hughes II can play as a starter without a scholarship, he is good enough for it.

Zink likes this

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

As I said before, I believe the Hughes family does not need the money or the scholarship. In my opinion, they are allowing the scholarship to  pass onto someone that needs it. Larry Hughes II can play as a starter without a scholarship, he is good enough for it.

phil russell played a bit as a frosh walk on.  LHJ at least has the size advantage too. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

phil russell played a bit as a frosh walk on.  LHJ at least has the size advantage too. 

The height is there but I need to see him put on some weight. That's a given, but the question is how quickly will it happen and can his skillset transfer seamlessly? Sometimes added strength/weight takes a while to get used to, especially if it's put on quickly. 

LHJ is 6'4" 165#...I'm lean at 5'10" 168#. I'm trusting SLU's staff and facilities to put 20# on him real quickly. Banging in practice with guys like Hargrove, Parker, Thatch, Pickett, Perkins oughta muscle him up real quick. 

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

The height is there but I need to see him put on some weight. That's a given, but the question is how quickly will it happen and can his skillset transfer seamlessly? Sometimes added strength/weight takes a while to get used to, especially if it's put on quickly. 

LHJ is 6'4" 165#...I'm lean at 5'10" 168#. I'm trusting SLU's staff and facilities to put 20# on him real quickly. Banging in practice with guys like Hargrove, Parker, Thatch, Pickett, Perkins oughta muscle him up real quick. 

And I realize that his weight is the biggest factor between him being a walk-on at SLU and being a nationally touted recruit - knowing that makes him all the more excited. Shoving PBJ's and grilled chicken down his gullet is an easy fix and the talent is already there, so I think we should be way more excited about our group of Freshman - Thames-LHJ-Kramer with four years to play together is an exciting 1-2-3 to say the least. 

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

And I realize that his weight is the biggest factor between him being a walk-on at SLU and being a nationally touted recruit - knowing that makes him all the more excited. Shoving PBJ's and grilled chicken down his gullet is an easy fix and the talent is already there, so I think we should be way more excited about our group of Freshman - Thames-LHJ-Kramer with four years to play together is an exciting 1-2-3 to say the least. 

AND to carry on with this excitement...three years of Sincere Parker to play alongside them. Assuming we add a big man with some eligibility (Carr?? 3 years.) and then John Bol in two years?? A lot to be excited about assuming the portal doesn't destroy this young core of studs. 

26 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As I said before, I believe the Hughes family does not need the money or the scholarship. In my opinion, they are allowing the scholarship to  pass onto someone that needs it. Larry Hughes II can play as a starter without a scholarship, he is good enough 

Good concept. Maybe even fact larry sr donated enough to school so they let him go free anyway

i really like the video of hughes jr dunking over the defender in that all star game.  this is not the ordinary walk on.  

Old guy likes this

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

I need the pullover that The Legend is rocking! Also love the fact he's marketing SLU with all these NBA guys around. Recruits will see it.

Yo, gimme some of those Vancouver Grizzlies shorts in the background. Fire. 

7 hours ago, gabriel said:

A lot of SLU talk in this - great interview. 

As a younger fan who only heard about Larry through stories and videos at SLU and only saw the back end of his NBA career, I never knew how impactful it seems like he was to the entire basketball landscape.  Great interview for sure

7 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Haha! Thanks. They're ugly as balls. Embarrassingly enough, I did have a Bryant Reeves jersey growing up. I was a sucker for expansion teams and he was the only dude available. 

Wish I had kept my Toronto Raptors Starter jacket from middle school though.