Welcome, Larry Hughes, Jr.!

Pistol

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, guessing Larry Jr's recruiting cooled down because ....... ? 

He is rated a solid 3 star but based on recruiting sites I have seen he does not have much of a list of colleges recruiting him, not even a mid-majors.  Something seems amiss here.  247 has him as the #6 recruit in Missouri.  Rated on potential or because Dad was a long time NBA player?

I have seen height range from 6'4" up to 6'6".  I suspect the former is closer to his true height.  His weight seems to be about 165 lbs.  Seems he needs a lot of time in the weight room.  Of course Dad was a real wiry guy in his day, so "chip off the old block" I guess.

So, can someone in the know, who has seen him play, give us out of towner grads a realistic evaluation of Larry Jr ...... his strengths, improvement needs, and potential?  Is he a rotation player in two years, a star, or still on the bench?

majerus mojo likes this

26 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

He is rated a solid 3 star but based on recruiting sites I have seen he does not have an much of a list of colleges recruiting him, not even a mid-majors.  Something seems amiss here.  247 has him as the #6 recruit in Missouri.  Rated on potential or because Dad was a long time NBA player?

I have seen height range from 6'4" up to 6'6".  I suspect the former is closer to his true height.  His weight seems to be about 165 lbs.  Seems he needs a lot of time in the weight room.  Of course Dad was a real wiry guy in his day, so "chip off the old block" I guess.

So, can someone in the know, who has seen him play, give us out of towner grads a realistic evaluation of Larry Jr ...... his strengths, improvement needs, and potential?  Is he a rotation player in two years, a star, or still on the bench?

Nope. But I read that he put up 20 in the state championship game, so he finished strong.

15 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

He is rated a solid 3 star but based on recruiting sites I have seen he does not have much of a list of colleges recruiting him, not even a mid-majors.  Something seems amiss here.  247 has him as the #6 recruit in Missouri.  Rated on potential or because Dad was a long time NBA player?

Why look at any kids potential flaws, or the reasons he was not actively recruited by many other teams? We wanted to  have him in the team and he is in the team, what is the problem?

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Why look at any kids potential flaws, or the reasons he was not actively recruited by many other teams? We wanted to  have him in the team and he is in the team, what is the problem?

A couple of years ago he was touted as a top 100 prospect, now a walk-on.  Given that, looking for some insight on his abilities and future potential.

50 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

A couple of years ago he was touted as a top 100 prospect, now a walk-on.  Given that, looking for some insight on his abilities and future potential.

Who was the SLU walk-on who transferred to Texas and became a starter on one of their good teams? 

1 hour ago, someoneelse said:

Small quibble.  I would hope that Hughes is willing to earn his turn (whenever it comes), rather than wait his turn.  This isn't a board game.  

Semantics...you and I both meant the same thing. The decision to walk-on is very telling that he's ready and willing to develop and work himself into our rotation. Hopefully his bloodline shines through and he demands minutes as a walk-on...that'd be a good problem to have. 

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

maybe his lifelong dream was to follow in his father's footsteps (we know his dad wanted him to be a billiken)  so that negated heading to wisconsin or butler.   it isnt likely it is a financial strain on dad.  im just happy all this potential decided to stay in st louis regardless of the deal that was made.   

Terri84 likes this

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Have you thought that perhaps he was not interested in going anywhere but SLU and the other recruiters just gave up on him? It is NOT ALWAYS a matter of high and mighty schools or lots of money, there are people that decide early and stick with their decision. Have you ever met one of those? There may not be many of them around but they definitely exist.

Another thought for you, this kid does not need a scholarship (or NIL) to go play somewhere, how about if they (he and his family) decided to let someone else with talent but no money get  the scholarship instead. There is nothing that says a walk on cannot play regularly or even be a starter.

My hope is LHJ becomes so much more than a walk-on.  I am fearful and hope he does not become Aaron Hines or Phil Russell.  The best walk on I can think of is Paul Eckerle and he wasn't much to write home about.  Serviceable but I want more of our legacy recruit.  I really don't want him becoming a Strickland or even a Lorentsson --- buried deep on the bench and of no real use.  Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

My hope is LHJ becomes so much more than a walk-on.  I am fearful and hope he does not become Aaron Hines or Phil Russell.  The best walk on I can think of is Paul Eckerle and he wasn't much to write home about.  Serviceable but I want more of our legacy recruit.  I really don't want him becoming a Strickland or even a Lorentsson --- buried deep on the bench and of no real use.  Time will tell.

i am pretty sure jeff and ryan Luechtifeld both started out at slu as walkon's later earned their scholarships and both became significant contributors and starters.  

Just now, Compton said:

Fearful? Hines was our starting point guard for 1 season and averaged over 20 mins a game over 3 seasons. How much more are you looking for?

my memory says that was desparation as we had no other choice who to play at that spot as our transfers were not eligible to play and we had no additional scholarships to give.   

40 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Have you thought that perhaps he was not interested in going anywhere but SLU and the other recruiters just gave up on him? It is NOT ALWAYS a matter of high and mighty schools or lots of money, there are people that decide early and stick with their decision. Have you ever met one of those? There may not be many of them around but they definitely exist.

Another thought for you, this kid does not need a scholarship (or NIL) to go play somewhere, how about if they (he and his family) decided to let someone else with talent but no money get  the scholarship instead. There is nothing that says a walk on cannot play regularly or even be a starter.

Dang, just hoping for a recruit evaluation since I cannot find any recent or detailed recruit analysis on Larry Jr online.  Everybody wants to post about everything but that.  Forget it ...... 😦