Welcome, Larry Hughes, Jr.!

Pistol

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reports were that he is a fantastic student with good grades.  He probably earned himself a legitimate academic scholarship and the rest will be covered by NBA money.  Give it a year or so, and I bet he's on scholarship.  I look at LHJ as somewhat of a Jimerson type in that if he can develop his shot and get himself open on the three point line, he could work himself into being a big time contributor in about year three.

Congratulations, Larry Jr., and Larry Sr.  Welcome to and back to SLU.

20 minutes ago, Fraz said:

The 6th best player in the state of Missouri is walking on at SLU.  I can’t believe that’s a factual statement 

Missouri, and St. Louis specifically, has always had a good pool of talent.  It’s awesome that we have been able to keep this talent “in-house”.

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The reports were that he is a fantastic student with good grades.  He probably earned himself a legitimate academic scholarship and the rest will be covered by NBA money.  Give it a year or so, and I bet he's on scholarship.  I look at LHJ as somewhat of a Jimerson type in that if he can develop his shot and get himself open on the three point line, he could work himself into being a big time contributor in about year three.

Congratulations, Larry Jr., and Larry Sr.  Welcome to and back to SLU.

this is dangerous territory that supposedly the ncaa watches very close.    whatever scholarship he is awarded, no matter how large, will likely be scrutinized to make sure it is nothing more than a non student athlete would have gotten with the same credentials.   if the ncaa thinks he is getting more than what a normal scholarshipped student with greater credentials got, that is a no no.   

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is dangerous territory that supposedly the ncaa watches very close.    whatever scholarship he is awarded, no matter how large, will likely be scrutinized to make sure it is nothing more than a non student athlete would have gotten with the same credentials.   if the ncaa thinks he is getting more than what a normal scholarshipped student with greater credentials got, that is a no no.   

LH Sr earned 84MM in the NBA, according to the internet.  Cut that in half for taxes and agents, that's still 42 MM.  I hope there's enough left over that he can pay full freight.  Everyone does like a discount, yes.  

ARon likes this

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Where is Parker from?

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Indiana? 

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Thanks so he is not local.

I did not mean to include him on the list. Mind jumped from guys who will still be on the roster to guys who are local and he slipped through the cracks. 

24 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

LH Sr earned 84MM in the NBA, according to the internet.  Cut that in half for taxes and agents, that's still 42 MM.  I hope there's enough left over that he can pay full freight.  Everyone does like a discount, yes.  

LH Basketball Academy I'm sure makes some coin, LHJ seems like a smart kid, scholarships can be found...

38 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I assume he had a good accountant/lawyer who figured out how to minimize the taxes.  One way to defer money and teams will do this for a player if they see a way for them to get some benefit - look at Bobby Bonia.

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm sure they would not award any scholarship unless it was legit and well documented.  If the NCAA has a problem with a smart kid earning an academic scholarship, then bring on the inquiry.

1 hour ago, someoneelse said:

Was waiting for someone to point that out. Are there really people worried about if he can afford school without a scholarship?  I'm sure Hughes will earn it, and if Ford doesn't need the other scholly fine. But otherwise why use that spot when you don't have to.