O.T. Would St. Louis support a WNBA team?

BLIKNS

No metro area supports a WNBA team.  The WNBA only generated $60 Million dollars in revenue last season.  Every team loses money and the league as a whole lost $10 million last season.  Every season in the leagues history has been a money loser.  The NBA subsidizes the league.  

JMM28 and BigMouthBilliken like this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

No metro area supports a WNBA team.  The WNBA only generated $60 Million dollars in revenue last season.  Every team loses money and the league as a whole lost $10 million last season.  Every season in the leagues history has been a money loser.  The NBA subsidizes the league.  

this is stupid.   as long as it has been around now, if it cant pay it's own way, give it up.   

33 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Thoughts?

As a disclaimer, I support Women’s Basketball. 

There was a time when Springfield, MO was rabid for women’s basketball. Final Four trip and all. The WNBA should consider metro areas where their is no established professional competition. They should focus on developing a fan base at each location. But, in St. Louis, it would be hard to go to a WNBA game over the Blues or the Bills.

On another note, I have never understood how professional women’s soccer is not bigger.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is stupid.   as long as it has been around now, if it cant pay it's own way, give it up.   

So the entire league lost about the same amount that Tomas Satoransky made this season.

Why would the NBA pull the plug on funding something worth way more than that in good publicity, let alone gives an entire population of young players something to aspire to, strengthens the women's game at all levels, and makes the U.S. by far the global superpower in the women's game?

About 25% of NBA players make more in a year than the WNBA's net loss. This is a rounding error for the NBA. The benefits far outweigh the costs here. It doesn't have to break even to be well worth it. And who knows, maybe someday it will.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

On another note, I have never understood how professional women’s soccer is not bigger.

I did an informal poll a while back of which women's pro team people would be most interested in seeing start in STL: soccer, basketball, or hockey.  Soccer won fairly easily.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I would certainly not support a WNBA team. I wouldn't root against them, that's not what I'm saying, but my dollars and attention would not be paid to them. The product just isn't worthwhile when I can get something so much better out of a local high school boys game. 

I agree that even womens college basketball is more entertaining but I think that's just because of the affiliation factor. I'd much rather see the money a WNBA team would cost invested into something with a higher ROI and community reach. 

billiken_roy likes this

52 minutes ago, ARon said:

I did an informal poll a while back of which women's pro team people would be most interested in seeing start in STL: soccer, basketball, or hockey.  Soccer won fairly easily.

I would rather have a professional womens soccer team than basketball and it's not even close. 

wgstl and willie like this

Why?  Are there rumors of an expansion team or a move from elsewhere?

I second @Bills By 40comments.  Of course, I don't support the NBA either.  As a matter of fact, all pro sports teams, men or women, are essentially off my radar except for maybe checking scores here and there.  If pressed, I'd say I follow the NFL but not the way I used to.  Must be the fantasy leagues that keep me coming back there.  I consider all to be option for my disposable entertainment dollar and frankly, I like better options.  Golf.  Travel.  Grandkids.  

Bills By 40 and bauman like this

Is everyone aware that St. Louis has a lower level womens pro team called the St. Louis Surge?

They have been in the league title game the last 3 seasons and have won 2 league titles.

They play at Wash U and average nearly 2000 fans.

Former SLU womens asst Petra Jackson is HC and Former Bill Justin Tatum is Asst.

Their roster is mostly made up of local players.

Zink and BuiltFordBills like this