Jordan Nesbitt Theories

I can’t come to anything resembling a conclusion, regarding what’s happening with Jordan Nesbitt.

Originally, I assumed he was declaring for the NBA Draft as more of a fact-finding mission, and would return to SLU next year. Every day, though, it seems like he’s not returning.

I’m pretty sure he would have to enter the transfer portal by May 1st, but there’s been no hint of that. Does he really think he’s NBA (or, even G-League) ready? Is it an issue with grades? Is the issue with the St. Bonaventure cheerleader a factor at all?

All tin foil hat theories welcome!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion that school just wasn't in the cards for this young man.  The high school hype was that he was a one=and-doner.  Same kind of hype that surrounded Carte'Are Gordon.  He went to Memphis and the Penny Hardaway School for NBA draft picks.  For whatever reason, it didn't work there.  Rightly or wrongly, the Memphis folks seemed to say good riddance to him.  He came home, to be closer to home and his family and baby daughter.  He wasn't really used well in his time here.  There didn't seem to be a multitude of sets designed to showcase him and his ability.  He always seemed to give his all but that overexuberance led to many instances of his pounding his chest as if to say "that's on me."  I loved his overall athleticism and he seemed to give 100% on defense when in the games.  

Sitting in the fifth row at the Cap Center in DC, there seemed to be a rather large disconnect between him and Coach Ford.  Same seemed obvious with Ford and TJ Hargrove.  But Hargrove is still here.  I don't know his family situation but maybe money is of a huge concern.  I have asked a few times if it were grades or if he's still in school.  He needs to pass at least 24 hours of college credit to be even considered for the transfer portal.  If that option is gone (and I guess he'd need another waiver to transfer = third school in one year) I assume he could make it up in summer sessions.  But school, along with team chemistry issues seem to loom large.  But tjhat is all speculation on my part.

It is my understanding that there were many fights in the locker room in the short-lived Gordon tenure.  This I found out about in DC from a former player.  Gordon has been gone for like three or four years.  Our locker room seems to keep these types of items under wraps.  Maybe the same existed for Nesbitt.  I don't know but the fact no one seems all that interested in keeping a four-star recruit seems telling.  The silence on all this is deafening.

Taj, I honestly think that it is best for a team to keep their own internal struggles and problems within the team. From my point of view, it is OK to involve the coach and ask him for help in resolving the issues, but it is not OK to go outside the team to air dirty laundry. I would like to see better use of Hargrove, just as I wished to see better use of Strickland, but Strickland is already gone.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

30 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I am of the opinion that school just wasn't in the cards for this young man.  The high school hype was that he was a one=and-doner.  Same kind of hype that surrounded Carte'Are Gordon.  He went to Memphis and the Penny Hardaway School for NBA draft picks.  For whatever reason, it didn't work there.  Rightly or wrongly, the Memphis folks seemed to say good riddance to him.  He came home, to be closer to home and his family and baby daughter.  He wasn't really used well in his time here.  There didn't seem to be a multitude of sets designed to showcase him and his ability.  He always seemed to give his all but that overexuberance led to many instances of his pounding his chest as if to say "that's on me."  I loved his overall athleticism and he seemed to give 100% on defense when in the games.  

Sitting in the fifth row at the Cap Center in DC, there seemed to be a rather large disconnect between him and Coach Ford.  Same seemed obvious with Ford and TJ Hargrove.  But Hargrove is still here.  I don't know his family situation but maybe money is of a huge concern.  I have asked a few times if it were grades or if he's still in school.  He needs to pass at least 24 hours of college credit to be even considered for the transfer portal.  If that option is gone (and I guess he'd need another waiver to transfer = third school in one year) I assume he could make it up in summer sessions.  But school, along with team chemistry issues seem to loom large.  But tjhat is all speculation on my part.

It is my understanding that there were many fights in the locker room in the short-lived Gordon tenure.  This I found out about in DC from a former player.  Gordon has been gone for like three or four years.  Our locker room seems to keep these types of items under wraps.  Maybe the same existed for Nesbitt.  I don't know but the fact no one seems all that interested in keeping a four-star recruit seems telling.  The silence on all this is deafening.

Seems to be as good a theory as any. The road to success begins by successfully navigating the 6” distance between the ears. A talented athlete has to avoid the hype, put in the work and stay humble. Some understand that but others don’t.

Hope JNez can find success but his journey seems to be off to a bumpy start.

1 hour ago, thunderdan said:

I can’t come to anything resembling a conclusion, regarding what’s happening with Jordan Nesbitt.

Originally, I assumed he was declaring for the NBA Draft as more of a fact-finding mission, and would return to SLU next year. Every day, though, it seems like he’s not returning.

I’m pretty sure he would have to enter the transfer portal by May 1st, but there’s been no hint of that. Does he really think he’s NBA (or, even G-League) ready? Is it an issue with grades? Is the issue with the St. Bonaventure cheerleader a factor at all?

All tin foil hat theories welcome!

I think it is safe to assume the St Bonaventure cheerleader set forth a clandestine plan to submarine Nesbitt’s future. We are only seeing stage one right now…

More truthfully, I really don’t care if he comes back to the Bills, I really hope he seeks guidance, and a therapist, and becomes a better person. I just really hate watching someone go the Carteare route. It is really painful. I just hope he embraces support.

billikenbill likes this

Jordan’s job in the offense was to create his own shot as teams concentrated on Jimerson chasing Jimerson around the court.  Jordan’s 3 point shot was never consistent enough like Jimerson to set a bunch screens for him so go out create and finish.  Jordan created a lot of space for a shot but had trouble finishing.  I think Jordan pressed and things got worse.

The St.B game was a good indicator that Jordan’s mind was not in the game, he fouled an 80 percent free throw shooter in the last second then forgets to block out the shooter that almost costs SLU the win, and then the cheerleader incident.

The wife and I cheered for Jordan as load as we could so he could hear us because he just did not seem to be very happy.

I wish Jordan the best he has his whole life in front of him.  I feel another year as a Billiken his shooting would have improved.

my theory is he was not a good fit for the style and methods of travis ford.   he needs to go somewhere that embraces the fast up and down 40 minutes of hell basketball.   that said, ford needs to quit recruiting the track star pure athletes and go find basketball players.  he wants to be mckillops, then mirror those rosters.   im fine with that as long as we win.  

thatskablamo likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my theory is he was not a good fit for the style and methods of travis ford.   he needs to go somewhere that embraces the fast up and down 40 minutes of hell basketball.   that said, ford needs to quit recruiting the track star pure athletes and go find basketball players.  he wants to be mckillops, then mirror those rosters.   im fine with that as long as we win.  

Not to be a devils advocate here, but why would Ford pursue someone if he wasn’t a good fit? Maybe not in a basketball or team culture sense but a system sense; Ken Niamatololo isn’t going to recruit a pro-style QB to Annapolis because they run the option there. Wouldn’t you want “system guys?” Or do you think Ford is cocky enough to say “bring him here and I’ll learn him my system?”

A Penny for your thoughts on the ex-Memphis now ex-SLU guy and his former coach Ford. 

6 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Not to be a devils advocate here, but why would Ford pursue someone if he wasn’t a good fit? Maybe not in a basketball or team culture sense but a system sense; Ken Niamatololo isn’t going to recruit a pro-style QB to Annapolis because they run the option there. Wouldn’t you want “system guys?” Or do you think Ford is cocky enough to say “bring him here and I’ll learn him my system?”

A Penny for your thoughts on the ex-Memphis now ex-SLU guy and his former coach Ford. 

i think to become a college level basketball coach there is going to be some arrogance and over confidence.   i.e. yes, they are the ones that think they are the ones to change or teach them that.   i dont think that is a bad trait and probably some of the players they do change/teach.   but by they time a person is 20 years old and at that level they also have a degree of "i'm not gonna change" in them as well.   stalemate.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think to become a college level basketball coach there is going to be some arrogance and over confidence.   i.e. yes, they are the ones that think they are the ones to change or teach them that.   i dont think that is a bad trait and probably some of the players they do change/teach.   but by they time a person is 20 years old and at that level they also have a degree of "i'm not gonna change" in them as well.   stalemate.  

Great point, Roy. Do you think that has changed with the neo-Millennials coming in and their overall attitude with authority or has this been the same over the generations, ie maybe Wooden didn’t have to coach up Lew but he had definite issues with Walton (representing the counterculture)…

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

The St.B game was a good indicator that Jordan’s mind was not in the game, he fouled an 80 percent free throw shooter in the last second then forgets to block out the shooter that almost costs SLU the win, and then the cheerleader incident.

Can I ask why only Nesbitt gets dinged for this? I'm pretty sure Yuri was the other guard on the lane who didn't box out Lofton for that second free throw. 

billiken_roy likes this

11 minutes ago, RamJAMTIME said:

Can I ask why only Nesbitt gets dinged for this? I'm pretty sure Yuri was the other guard on the lane who didn't box out Lofton for that second free throw. 

The dinging has subsided since we won the game - but it wouldn’t have stopped since then had that lapse cost us the W. 

They don’t talk about the Jim Marshall play much anymore, in part because the Vikings won that game…

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I find the one and done talk to be funny honestly. I’m not doubting it was there, but someone needs to tell his Mom to cut it out

Bills By 40 likes this

54 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Well Wooden was the GOAT of college HC's and no one has approached his level and probably won't in my lifetime.

i wont disagree, but i would think wooden and the program was ahead of it's time.   he definitely changed the face of college sports.   the biggest difference getting out of town and recruiting coast to coast.   that was not a common happening prior to wooden's ucla teams. 

49 minutes ago, RamJAMTIME said:

Yes you can and the answer is I am not dinging anyone, your word choice.

The context of my post was a possible state of mind with Jordan and I used 3 events in one game near the end of the season in around a 5 minute time period.

The thread is about theories of what led to Jordan probably not coming back and my feeling is Jordan just not a happy person right now and it effects his play.

I wish Jordan the best I really like him but at the same time I have empathy for him.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I remember watching Nesbitt try to play fast against VCU when he got called for a charge and air-mailed a pass into the student section in consecutive plays...

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yea I’m gonna say Ford will always recruit local, top 100 talent. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. The speculating about his character, suggesting he was getting into locker room fights, etc., is gross. People are not entitled to every answer. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I find the one and done talk to be funny honestly. I’m not doubting it was there, but someone needs to tell his Mom to cut it out

Nesbitt's mother actually passed away a couple of years ago. This is a kid who has had a lot on his plate the last couple of seasons. 

13 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Not surprising but I wished it would have worked out with SLU.

Compton likes this

I do not know either kid, but my feelings are so similar to when Gordon left. Talented kids, but I was not overly upset to see them go. At the same time, I really hope wherever they go it works out for them. Unfortunately with Gordon it did not. Hopefully Jordan finds a good home where he can reach his potential. In his one season here he may not have been everything we wanted him to be, but he did have some rather exciting moments.

cgeldmacher likes this