Welcome, Javon Pickett!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

We upgraded, Pickett is better than Linssen, Strickland, Williams and Jones.  Just keeping upgrading with pieces and let the best player start on any given night.  Pickett may not take the place of Hargrove, Thatch or Nesbitt (if he returns) but he will play a valuable role. 

I'm not sure I agree that he won't take the place of Hargrove or Nesbitt.  I don't include Fred here, because his skill set is so unique.  Pickett averaged 11.1 points per game on a team that plays in the SEC and is an above average defender.  I know some will make jokes about how bad Mizzou was, but how bad your team is doesn't change the teams you play against.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm not sure I agree that he won't take the place of Hargrove or Nesbitt.  I don't include Fred here, because his skill set is so unique.  Pickett averaged 11.1 points per game on a team that plays in the SEC and is an above average defender.  I know some will make jokes about how bad Mizzou was, but how bad your team is doesn't change the teams you play against.

rebounding does take a hit tho. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

rebounding does take a hit tho. 

Nesbitt averaged 4.3 rebounds in 26 minutes of time.  Hargrove got 4.2 rebounds in 21.5 minutes per game.

Pickett got 3.1 rebounds in 32 minutes per game.

So, you are right.  However, I will add that Mizzou probably had two guys that were 6' 8" or taller in the game most of the time, whereas SLU relied on Nesbitt and Hargrove for rebounds more when they were in.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, you are right.  However, I will add that Mizzou probably had two guys that were 6' 8" or taller in the game most of the time, whereas SLU relied on Nesbitt and Hargrove for rebounds more when they were in.

I don't remember Hargrove grabbing many rebounds. I think we relied on Thatch for a lot of rebounds.

22 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If he's a plus defender like some are saying, I really like it. Doesn't look like he shoots the 3 very well, but may be more of a rim attacking wing. 

Welcome to Team Blue Javon

Yeah, three point shooting doesn't look good, but we should be strong in that area. We have a lot of scoring options, he'll probably be our 4th, 5th or maybe even 6th scoring option. We really could use a strong perimeter defender. IF that is the case, that will be his biggest value to this team and his best chance to earn decent minutes.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

BTW, how often is the PA announcer gonna mess up Javonte Perkins and Javon Pickett - not to mention Sincere Parker. So many potential combinations - Javon Parker, Javonte Pickett, Sincere Perkins, Javon Perkins...

If we get CT I bet we hear "Connor Turntable" at least once this season

On 4/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, slufanskip said:

Played for Mizzou but now want to win? Give Coach Ford and Team Blue a call. 

Honestly, do they have many players that could make our top 8 rotation? 

He's a good pickup for SLU, plus he has recent NCAA tournament experience, which is obviously lacking on SLU's roster. 

37 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

He's a good pickup for SLU, plus he has recent NCAA tournament experience, which is obviously lacking on SLU's roster. 

Hahah love the Mizzou trolls coming out to play.

I think Pickett said it best “With the talent they have, you can see they have a lot of good pieces and could win their conference and get to the (NCAA) tournament. That’s really what I’m looking for.” It’s unfortunate that he didn’t see what he was looking for at Mizzou.

**incoming SEC>>A10 blah blah our horizon league and MVC transfers are going to revamp our team blah blah blah**

8 hours ago, MUTGR said:

It was a good post before the comma.

I think you are a fan of both teams however how much NCAA tournament experienced players did St. Peter’s have?

Playing in the SEC for 4 years gives him better experience than the 2 first round big dance losses.  The Billikens have a tough away non conference schedule one against Auburn he will help.

The make up of a strong local presence on this team will be interesting.  If the Billikens win the A10 and make it to the sweet 16 then that will bring some serious attention to St. Louis area recruits.

cgeldmacher likes this

8 hours ago, MUTGR said:

You should go troll UMKC’s board. That’s a program a little more on your level.  Hope your new coach is watching tape so you can at least make that game competitive this year. 

28 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You should go troll UMKC’s board. That’s a program a little more on your level.  Hope your new coach is watching tape so you can at least make that game competitive this year. 

It’s gotta be hard to troll over there since they already beat Mizzou by double digits last season 

9 hours ago, MUTGR said:

and mi$$ouri fans wonder why they are hated?

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Javon is on with Frank right now. He said that his final choices were SLU, Arkansas and TCU. Yuri showed him around campus and he had lunch with Yuri and Javonte.

I heard Yuri even gave him a tour of his apartment, saying "You can move right in here since I'll be in Knoxville this fall!"

24 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The entire roster besides Pickett, actually. Rebuild year. 

I hear for $1000 NIL money, all you have to do is attend a UT rally (football or basketball) once.  Take a selfie and put it on Facebook.  Rocky Top!

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Javon is on with Frank right now. He said that his final choices were SLU, Arkansas and TCU. Yuri showed him around campus and he had lunch with Yuri and Javonte.

So who should we trust more for our information on Yuri’s future, bleedingTNorange from Volnation.com, or actual Billikens players? I think our Tennessee ambassador Schasz should go and provide their board with some reliable source material. 

SLUMedBilliken15 and wgstl like this

14 hours ago, MUTGR said:

Thanks for checking in. Okoro has actually won two NCAA Tourney games - when is the last time Mizzou even won a Tourney game?  I don't know, seems like it's been a long time, but I suspect you will crawl back under your rock and not answer the question.

I think it's quite telling that the guy who led your team in minutes played is jumping off that sinking ship to come here to take on a lesser role.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this