Welcome, Javon Pickett!

Pickett and Cuonzo have a mutual respect. Supposedly Pickett was a gym rat from day one and really upped his game, especially his defensive game. He had 19 pts. against Kansas-the only threat Mizzou had that day. He definitely plays bully ball and is not afraid to crash the boards against the trees. I feel this is a solid get and will make the Bills better.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We upgraded, Pickett is better than Linssen, Strickland, Williams and Jones.  Just keeping upgrading with pieces and let the best player start on any given night.  Pickett may not take the place of Hargrove, Thatch or Nesbitt (if he returns) but he will play a valuable role. 

2 minutes ago, Marlow said:

Pickett and Cuonzo have a mutual respect. Supposedly Pickett was a gym rat from day one and really upped his game, especially his defensive game. He had 19 pts. against Kansas-the only threat Mizzou had that day. He definitely plays bully ball and is not afraid to crash the boards against the trees. I feel this is a solid get and will make the Bills better.

Another point: Pickett played last year without a point guard. Yuri will make him more effective.

25 minutes ago, SLU-Geo said:

We upgraded, Pickett is better than Linssen, Strickland, Williams and Jones.  Just keeping upgrading with pieces and let the best player start on any given night.  Pickett may not take the place of Hargrove, Thatch or Nesbitt (if he returns) but he will play a valuable role. 

To be fair, how effective would Pickett be playing in the lane, with his back to the basket, battling Kessler, Osunniyi, Holmes, Golden, Ohams, Oduro, the Mitchell twins, etc.

56 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’m guessing Hughes is next tomorrow 

I hope your right followed by Turnbull on Wednesday so each recruit has their day.

If that happens my only concern is defending other teams big players but hopefully the great offense overcomes that.

That would put the number of area high school players at 8.

This says the TF wants to win now.  He didn't target a player who is good, but could get better.  He got a one and done guy, to go with JP's last year.  So this is the year. I'm excited!

As someone above intimated, if the coach do something special with this roster (assuming Yuri comes back), he has reached the height of his coaching aptitude here.    

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It’s best for slu if LHJ goes else where for a year or so and we can get him to transfer to slu 

Agree.  With all due respect to the Legend, Jr. probably doesn't make this team better next season and likely would be 11-13 on the bench.  This board would then endlessly discuss how Ford is ignoring local players and by golly that is going to crush local recruiting in the future. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree.  With all due respect to the Legend, Jr. probably doesn't make this team better next season and likely would be 11-13 on the bench.  This board would then endlessly discuss how Ford is ignoring local players and by golly that is going to crush local recruiting in the future. 

And if we’d just do this ( this being whatever the MBM thinks should happen. It could be anything depending on the MBM ) LH Jr would be dominating. And any faults he may have are a direct result of coach Ford not “coaching him up” 

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Also LHJ will not get better sitting.

I'd bet Ford and the Hughes have already had this discussion. It does nothing for both parties. 

I think the above points are fair - LHJ is a very talented player who can definitely have a big role on this team. Don't see that happening next year, but could be a very important part moving forward. 

If LHJ does commit today, that would be a great addition for the program IMO and should be celebrated.