2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/3/2023 at 9:42 PM, Compton said:

20 wins and a top 4 finish. We're in pretty good shape for an NIT bid.

Not really. Record is 19-11 since Paul Quinn doesn’t count. We’re at 102 in the Net. CBI or bust.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:42 PM, Compton said:

20 wins and a top 4 finish. We're in pretty good shape for an NIT bid.

Nope, not exactly close either. And if we want to make the NIT, we need to root for teams like vcu to win their conf tourney 

Honestly, who would want to watch a team that hasn't showed great effort all season play in a tournament they'd rather pass on? 

It's a colossally disappointing season. I imagine that George Mason wants to play more than we do and we struggle to match their energy. For a veteran team, we've been really bad on the road. Absolutely no composure. 

Schasz likes this

Some A-10 stats through 18 games:

• Jimerson leading scorer at 15 ppg, 43% on 3s. 2nd with 2.7 3s/game. Very good conference season. Probably 2nd team
  • Parker shoots 42% from 3; plays less than 5 mpg multiple times. Why? Has Ford seen the D the rest of the team plays? 
  • Yuri leads the league in TO but so prolific w/ the assists that he's still 2nd in A/T ratio
  • Yuri and Jimerson 8th and 11th in mpg, both over 35 in A-10 play. Those are Ford's guys. 
  • margin of victory shows two teams were clearly the best: Dayton and VCU (9.8; 8.4). SLU is 4th at 3.3, just behind Duquesne (3.5). Not great at closing out and really bad at putting the foot on the throat.
  • I imagine Yuri and Jimerson make 2nd team if there's 5 on a team. If they go with 7 or 8, Yuri makes 1st team. Okoro quietly a decent conference season (60%fg, 5th in blocks, 2nd in rebounds). Maybe that gets him 3rd team? 
  • Holmes, Oduro, and Burton are I imagine locks on 1st team. Maybe Baldwin too? (12.7 ppg, 5.4 APG). James Bishop led the league in ppg. 
  • Deep dive on Javonte: I thought the final total season stats would show a huge drop in 2-pt% from 20/21. During that year his splits were 47/38/86. This year he's 42/35/81. A bit of a drop. In 2021 he shot 51.4% on 2s. This year it's only down to 48.6%, but he's shot way more 3s. Rebounds down from 3.9 to 2.0. He's not the same athlete, which is what the eye test confirms. What a bummer. Absolutely loved watching him score every which way and miss his big rebounds and blocks. Will never forget him going toe-to-toe with Cam Thomas and co. and leading us to victory. 

majerus mojo likes this

7 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Not really. Record is 19-11 since Paul Quinn doesn’t count. We’re at 102 in the Net. CBI or bust.

The Paul Quinn game counts toward our record, which stands at 20-11. NET ranking is not the only metric taken into account for NIT selection.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Nope, not exactly close either. And if we want to make the NIT, we need to root for teams like vcu to win their conf tourney 

If we win on Thursday and VCU or Dayton win the whole thing, I think we're a lock.

2017: Richmond 20-11 #4

2019: Dayton 21-10 #3

2021: Davidson #3, SLU #4

2022: Bonnies: 20-8 #3, VCU 21-7 #4

(Record = after A10 tourney)

3 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Some A-10 stats through 18 games:

• Jimerson leading scorer at 15 ppg, 43% on 3s. 2nd with 2.7 3s/game. Very good conference season. Probably 2nd team
  • Parker shoots 42% from 3; plays less than 5 mpg multiple times. Why? Has Ford seen the D the rest of the team plays? 
  • Yuri leads the league in TO but so prolific w/ the assists that he's still 2nd in A/T ratio
  • Yuri and Jimerson 8th and 11th in mpg, both over 35 in A-10 play. Those are Ford's guys. 
  • margin of victory shows two teams were clearly the best: Dayton and VCU (9.8; 8.4). SLU is 4th at 3.3, just behind Duquesne (3.5). Not great at closing out and really bad at putting the foot on the throat.
  • I imagine Yuri and Jimerson make 2nd team if there's 5 on a team. If they go with 7 or 8, Yuri makes 1st team. Okoro quietly a decent conference season (60%fg, 5th in blocks, 2nd in rebounds). Maybe that gets him 3rd team? 
  • Holmes, Oduro, and Burton are I imagine locks on 1st team. Maybe Baldwin too? (12.7 ppg, 5.4 APG). James Bishop led the league in ppg. 
  • Deep dive on Javonte: I thought the final total season stats would show a huge drop in 2-pt% from 20/21. During that year his splits were 47/38/86. This year he's 42/35/81. A bit of a drop. In 2021 he shot 51.4% on 2s. This year it's only down to 48.6%, but he's shot way more 3s. Rebounds down from 3.9 to 2.0. He's not the same athlete, which is what the eye test confirms. What a bummer. Absolutely loved watching him score every which way and miss his big rebounds and blocks. Will never forget him going toe-to-toe with Cam Thomas and co. and leading us to victory. 

Right on with point #2! It’s like playing Highmark and benching Clagget…

Crewsorlose likes this

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Went from receiving votes in the pre-season poll to having to win A10 tourney games to get onto the NIT bubble. Horrible.

Exactly. WTF happened to this squad? To my way of thinking the most disappointing season in 20 years. Why? It failed to meet the sky high pumped up expectations and shown little desire to be a winning team. 

Crewsorlose likes this

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Exactly. WTF happened to this squad? To my way of thinking the most disappointing season in 20 years. Why? It failed to meet the sky high pumped up expectations and shown little desire to be a winning team. 

Ford would say that they are not playing for themselves or at least that is what he kept telling us after losses on the post game shows. WTF is right 

10 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Ford would say that they are not playing for themselves or at least that is what he kept telling us after losses on the post game shows. WTF is right 

Travis Ford is the problem, and if he is allowed to come back for one more season after not coaching a team that the preseason prognosticators said was a lock to be Dancing then the powers to be are giving the people who do support the Bills next year a middle finger. By people who support SLU I'm specifically talking about those that purchase season tickets. They're the ones who lay their hard earned money for Tix and other items at Chaifetz like concessions. They deserve much better than Travis Ford as HC!

9 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Travis Ford is the problem, and if he is allowed to come back for one more season after not coaching a team that the preseason prognosticators said was a lock to be Dancing then the powers to be are giving the people who do support the Bills next year a middle finger. By people who support SLU I'm specifically talking about those that purchase season tickets. They're the ones who lay their hard earned money for Tix and other items at Chaifetz like concessions. They deserve much better than Travis Ford as HC!

Money talks and we owe him lots of money. We ain’t the SEC.  I full well expect him back next year but that is his long rope he either shortens it or hangs himself with it. We will owe him 2.4 if what has been reported here is true and another mediocre season will have the money people ready. People are putting way to much on the hug Travis got from Dr C. What was he suppose to do ignore Ford. We were all happy to beat Dayton but that doesn’t change the way some of us see the long term.  I hope I am proven wrong but I seriously doubt it. Leopards don’t change their spots. Peoarewho they are for a reason 

BRING BACK THE RPI

First time taking a peek at is, its hilariously awesome. 

SLU is at #54

Others to note

#15 Boise st

#23 Memphis

#27 Auburn

#31 Drake

#32 VCU 

#86 Dayton

#88 GMU

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

BRING BACK THE RPI

SLU is at #54

Others to note

#15 Boise st

#23 Memphis

#27 Auburn

#31 Drake

#32 VCU 

#86 Dayton

#88 GMU

This is what happens when our drubbings vs Iona, Dayton, Maryland, etc are now just simple losses instead of losing by a million. When win margin doesnt matter.

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

BRING BACK THE RPI

SLU is at #54

Others to note

#15 Boise st

#23 Memphis

#27 Auburn

#31 Drake

#32 VCU 

#86 Dayton

#88 GMU

slu being that high in the RPI is purely a matter of the incredibly tough schedule they took on with a couple of big wins in there with memphis and providence.   what your take away from this should be (i know it is mine) why did we put ourselves into such a tough schedule if there was not a benefit at the end for doing that.   i can see a couple of challenges but we went far past a couple.   it is almost like we were still living 10 years ago or something. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

slu being that high in the RPI is purely a matter of the incredibly tough schedule they took on with a couple of big wins in there with memphis and providence.   what your take away from this should be (i know it is mine) why did we put ourselves into such a tough schedule if there was not a benefit at the end for doing that.   i can see a couple of challenges but we went far past a couple.   it is almost like we were still living 10 years ago or something. 

The biggest thing and what Littlebill said is the tough schedule is one thing, but with NET, you just cant lose by a lot. And we did that a lot, with very few wide open wins. I still think the sweet spot is avoid t40 teams, and load up on 75-175 teams. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The biggest thing and what Littlebill said is the tough schedule is one thing, but with NET, you just cant lose by a lot. And we did that a lot, with very few wide open wins. I still think the sweet spot is avoid t40 teams, and load up on 75-175 teams. 

i respectfully disagree.   fordham just won.   no regard for the rankings in anyway. so the key imo is just win and the bigger margin of victory the better.   personally i think that is pure b.s. but it is what the ncaa has devised and we all have to live with it.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i respectfully disagree.   fordham just won.   no regard for the rankings in anyway. so the key imo is just win and the bigger margin of victory the better.   personally i think that is pure b.s. but it is what the ncaa has devised and we all have to live with it.  

seems missouri and fordham went the same way nonconference scheduling and it paid off

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Fordhams 47 wins didn't put them into any sort of at large picture. Heck, Mizzou was flirting with not getting an at large just 2 weeks ago.  It needs to be stronger than just racking up wins against no ones. 

7 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

seems missouri and fordham went the same way nonconference scheduling and it paid off

Paid off how?  Fordham is ranked #134 in NET.  Drake may be a good comp. only played one top 50 in OOC