2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the only reason but part of the reason that we can't push the pace as much as we'd like is that we hardly force any turnovers. We are 355th in the country in TO rate defensively. Our defense has kind of been bad this season. 

Now I'm definitely not saying thats the only reason we don't push the pace and play to our strengths but it's definitely part of the factor 

Westy03 and TheChosenOne like this

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

It's not the only reason but part of the reason that we can't push the pace as much as we'd like is that we hardly force any turnovers. We are 355th in the country in TO rate defensively. Our defense has kind of been bad this season. 

Now I'm definitely not saying thats the only reason we don't push the pace and play to our strengths but it's definitely part of the factor 

Thats a huge part of the problem.

I want them pushing the pace on both ends. That should lead to the TOs that lead to fast breaks. 
They don’t need to play “havoc” but they can turn up the intensity on D a good 7-8 notches.

TheChosenOne likes this

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Hard to force a bunch of turnovers without pressing at least a little, and hard to press if you have individually bad defenders, and we have a ton of individually bad defenders. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I foucked up, every year I have my SLU flag out by start of the season, but just realized I forgot and my other flag is up. Bills about to ROLL through conf 

Roll through conference and get that home NIT game.

Then Yuri can sit that game out while brokering a deal to some P5 school.

Sorry this MU KY game has me salty.

I was really hoping somehow both teams would lose. So even if KY can somehow come back I’ll still be pissed. 

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That defense is going to cost Mizzou some games they should win this year though.

Probably, but when you actually have some really good wins you can afford a few losses. Also putting up 93 and 89 in back to back games against top 20 teams takes some focus off the defense. 

I don’t know how good Mizzou is, but I sure as hell know they’re better (and more fun to watch) than us.  Which is painful for me to say, especially considering expectations. 

The good news is it’s proof that a program can be turned around QUICKLY with the right coach, and it doesn’t require 4 and 5- star freshman recruits. 

Young Charles likes this

What this shows me is if the second half of the season doesn’t go well, if we fire Ford and make the correct hire, it might not take too long to rebuild. 

Ford could be SLU’s Cuanzo Martin. A solid coach that took a team from the bottom to a respectable floor, but not able to break through. If we can get our Gates and use the foundation Ford built we could be really good soon with the right hire.

17 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

What this shows me is if the second half of the season doesn’t go well, if we fire Ford and make the correct hire, it might not take too long to rebuild. 

Ford could be SLU’s Cuanzo Martin. A solid coach that took a team from the bottom to a respectable floor, but not able to break through. If we can get our Gates and use the foundation Ford built we could be really good soon with the right hire.

I really think Chris Mack could be that guy for SLU. He commands immediate respect and would attract a ton of talent from the transfer portal. 

Edit: also his daughter is committed to play volleyball at Mizzou.  He may be more willing to relocate his family to the area…. Worth a shot. 

16 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I really think Chris Mack could be that guy for SLU. He commands immediate respect and would attract a ton of talent from the transfer portal. 

Edit: also his daughter is committed to play volleyball at Mizzou.  He may be more willing to relocate his family to the area…. Worth a shot. 

Hire a new volleyball coach with ties to Mack's daughter. She then comes to SLU. Done deal.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

We can go up a lot, but a lot is due to how far out we are, maybe as high at 40 spots, but that doesn’t put us in the at large picture. 

again, winning is one thing, winning by a lot is what we have to do so climb more, faster. 

Silver lining is the conference is down and we are still co-favorites at worst to win in Brooklyn.  I’m no longer concerned with at-large

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Because he's well connected locally. I'm probably biased from the old days when locals: Douglass/Gray/Bonner/Roder/ Leonard helped turn it around and locals Highmark/Claggett finally got us to big dance.  That said, I know many are in the camp that local is not really that important.