2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

We do have enough shooters, the issue is that the 2nd and 3rd are going through the process of discovering and rediscovering their D1 games. One looked like he took a big step in figuring that out last night and the other is hopefully not far behind. 

We could also set a real freaking screen for Jimerson once in a while.  Dig up zombie Majerus to whip out his decaying junk and show'em how close they need to be to set it.....

Don’t look now but upcoming opponent SIUE has won 6 straight after toppling Troy today, 78-72. The Cougars improve to 7-2 on the season. 

BC1764 likes this

39 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Troy you say?  Does the basketball team enter the arena coming out of a Trojan horse?

If their marketing dept. hasn’t done this, they’re not doing the job right. I do like their athletic dept. motto though, “ We’re the Trojans of Troy, where the rubber meets the road.”

Fraz and SLU_Lax like this

Just checked the ESPN and Coaches polls rankings for last week. We’ve been dropped from both polls’ receiving votes category. MD is ranked at 18 Auburn at 17. Auburn game hurt us bad, so says Captain Obvious. Mizzery got votes, which is laughable considering who they’ve played. 

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just checked the ESPN and Coaches polls rankings for last week. We’ve been dropped from both polls’ receiving votes category. MD is ranked at 18 Auburn at 17. Auburn game hurt us bad, so says Captain Obvious. Mizzery got votes, which is laughable considering who they’ve played. 

Massive swing because of Auburn unfortunately.

As other MBMs have said, Mizzou should come crashing down to earth.  They will beat SEMO to go to 9-0 but then will be underdogs in 9 of their next 10. 

7 hours ago, Fraz said:

Massive swing because of Auburn unfortunately.

As other MBMs have said, Mizzou should come crashing down to earth.  They will beat SEMO to go to 9-0 but then will be underdogs in 9 of their next 10. 

I don't understand the drop - we lost to the 13th ranked team at the time on their floor by 5 points and we get wacked for that - makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I don't understand the drop - we lost to the 13th ranked team at the time on their floor by 5 points and we get wacked for that - makes no sense.

We're still at the stage of the season where there are undefeated teams who haven't played anybody.  Those teams leapfrog you when you lose.  When those teams start playing real competition, most of them will take multiple Ls and disappear from the polls.

BC1764 and Billiken Rich like this

Iona game is wakeup call for players and coaching staff alike. Ford may not excel at responding in-game, but his teams have often improved through the course of season. Yurimania has posed a challenge last year and this year, because it gives opposing coaches a single point of failure to focus their defense on, as Pitino did. Last season the positive progression in-season did not happen to same extent, and the greatness but overreliance on Yurimania might have been part of the reason (along with absence of Goodwin and French). So what can Ford and team change to make this season better? So far it is tracking in much the same way as last season.

13 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Memphis down just 3 to #4 Alabama at half in Tuscaloosa 

Memphis lost a tough one, it came down to last minute or two and could've been a different game if their big man hadn't fouled out with 6 minutes to go and Kendric hadn't left with an ankle injury in the final minutes. Shows they can scrap with just about anybody (that ain't the Saint Louis University Billikens).  

36 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Memphis lost a tough one, it came down to last minute or two and could've been a different game if their big man hadn't fouled out with 6 minutes to go and Kendric hadn't left with an ankle injury in the final minutes. Shows they can scrap with just about anybody (that ain't the Saint Louis University Billikens).  

Man what a game! Memphis runs Bama off the floor if they can hit a 3, Memphis 1/12 from 3. Overall, you have to tip your hat to the tigers. They play a full 40 minutes and leave it all on the floor. Penny, like him or not, is a good coach imo. Gets 110% out of his players and his in game adjustments impress.

Something that stood out to me was during a timeout Penny took in the second half he pulled Kendric Davis to the side and they had a very composed 1 on 1 chat, the rest of the team went into a huddle with the other coaches. Up until that point Kendric hadn't scored in about 8 minutes. I don't know what was said in that 1 on 1, but the very next play Kendric was able to tangle up two defenders with a screen which allowed Memphis an easy (and much needed) layup. This led to a nice Memphis run to get back within 1 possession from about a 3 or 4 possession Bama lead. Long story short, I don't know what goes on in Billiken timeouts but they seem to have a more chaotic effect than a calming one. Maybe its just me... but I was impressed with what I saw from Memphis last night. That win should age nicely in our favor.