2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Fraz said:

@The Wiz Is free throw shooting down across the board this year?  Watching games and it feels like every team I watch is struggling at the line.  If you don’t know that’s cool

It is too early to tell ...so far they look about normal.  Over recent history it has been trending up. I look at the A+ shooters. When they are up everyone trends up...when they trend down so does the majority.

Let's take a look at what it takes to be an A+ shooter over the last decade....

2012-13...75.4%

It seems FT% started to trend up in 2016. Last year was the first drop in a few years.  Check back with me at the end of the year and we will see whether we are trending down  or if last year was just a blip in an upward trend.

12 hours ago, Fraz said:

Just watched the 1st half of Mizzou and they look pretty good.  

We might've watched different games, I thought they looked like a ~75-100 team. Real ref job towards the end of the 2nd to take all the momentum away from Wichita with the half court mystery foul that should've been WSU ball and instead was 2 Mizzou free throws, a no-call on an egregious offensive push-off 7ft from the hoop that led to a bucket, and then next trip down the court a questionable and-one call that gave a free throw. Ultimately WSU's free throw shooting was the crutch but that was a real bad sequence of events designed to protect the P5 school, then the wheels fell off.  

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

We might've watched different games, I thought they looked like a ~75-100 team. Real ref job towards the end of the 2nd to take all the momentum away from Wichita with the half court mystery foul that should've been WSU ball and instead was 2 Mizzou free throws, a no-call on an egregious offensive push-off 7ft from the hoop that led to a bucket, and then next trip down the court a questionable and-one call that gave a free throw. Ultimately WSU's free throw shooting was the crutch but that was a real bad sequence of events designed to protect the P5 school, then the wheels fell off.  

20 turnovers from wsu was the game, many unforced. wichita had the game won. mizzou will have problems with bigger teams

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

Also watching. Mizzou does look good, like they have thus far against no one. I really thought this would be a good test, but then I saw WSU lost to alcorn state by like 10

I'd say losing by 4 in OT means they gave 'em a run for their money. 

The most frustrating part of that game was how often their PG turned the ball over in the high post trying to dribble through two defenders. I bet he did it five times in the first half alone. 

dennis_w likes this

23 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

We thought Parker would come in and be instant offense, or at least hit a single 3

I think Parker is instant offense and looks comfortable out there.  He just needs to play and when he does, get him the ball.  He is averaging 6pts in 13 minutes.  But who sits?  He will be a complete stud next year and will probably drop a couple 20 point games this year.

5 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I think Parker is instant offense and looks comfortable out there.  He just needs to play and when he does, get him the ball.  He is averaging 6pts in 13 minutes.  But who sits?  He will be a complete stud next year and will probably drop a couple 20 point games this year.

I don't see his minutes increasing much this year, hopefully he settles around 15-17 or gets hyper-efficient and figures out how to average 10+ PPG in the 13 minutes he's getting now. I don't think that's out of the question.

2 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Parker is fine.  Early comparisons to Perkins didn't do him any favors.  He didn't come into the same situation that Perkins did.  13 minutes a game for a first-year player on a projected tournament team = legit player.

slufanskip likes this

On 11/10/2022 at 9:48 PM, Compton said:

Nice to see our future opponent Salukis beat Oklahoma State tonight 61-60 in Clearwater. They might actually be a solid opponent this year if they can also beat UNLV at a neutral site game on 11/22.

Side note, Oklahoma State had a terrible crowd. Their stadium was mostly empty except for the very lowest courtside sections comprised of 4-5 rows.

Maybe OK ST is regreting firing TF .

18 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Good Gravy........Another free ticket email offer........free seats in the 100's (116 is where I'll be tomorrow.)  I'm not complaining but this can't be super good......

It's TN ST.  Why would anyone buy a single game ticket to see us play that team?  Other than taking a group of kids or maybe giving your own child a one time experience to see a college basketball game I would think the walk up tickets being SOLD for a game like this would top out at about 15 to 20. This is one where STH can't even give their tickets away so getting a decent crowd requires ticket giveaways.  However, it seems like the marketing dept should be able to come up with some attractive promotions without pissing off STH who have paid full price.  Promotions that would also apply to those paying the full freight. 

18 hours ago, dennis_w said:

admittedly i have character flaws and find myself watching mizzou basketball but only in the hopes that they take a horrible loss, forgive my transgressions

My son, go to confession and say 3 Our Father's and 3 Hail Mary's as your penance !

dennis_w likes this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Parker is fine.  Early comparisons to Perkins didn't do him any favors.  He didn't come into the same situation that Perkins did.  13 minutes a game for a first-year player on a projected tournament team = legit player.

Agreed, easy to forget Parker played just one JUCO season and is just a sophomore, while Perk arrived as a junior.

slu72 fan likes this

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't see his minutes increasing much this year, hopefully he settles around 15-17 or gets hyper-efficient and figures out how to average 10+ PPG in the 13 minutes he's getting now. I don't think that's out of the question.

i have said previously that it takes a juco time to adjust, parker will come around

In case any of y'all are real bored and want to read a long thread that I worked too hard to put together. 

Yuri was named the 21st ranked player (all positions) in the nation to this point in the season. I compared him to the other guards ranked above him on the list - spoiler alert, he compares well. 

JettFlight5 and rgbilliken like this

11 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

In case any of y'all are real bored and want to read a long thread that I worked too hard to put together. 

Yuri was named the 21st ranked player (all positions) in the nation to this point in the season. I compared him to the other guards ranked above him on the list - spoiler alert, he compares well. 

I just came across your thread on Twitter. Very well done!

Bills By 40 likes this

16 hours ago, dlarry said:

I just came across your thread on Twitter. Very well done!

I did another one last night comparing Yuri's 20:1 A/TO ratio game last night to all the other 20+ assist performances in NCAA history. Looks like one other guy ever, Brandon Brooks from Alabama State, had a 20:1 performance in '08. 

Fun fact is that Brandon Brooks then played James Harden in the NIT later that year.  

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SLU shooting just 27% from 3 the last 4 games.  Not ideal. 

That is spooky.  Spookier than our late freethrow shooting at Auburn.  Dead legs?  Jimerson have a snooty girlfriend?  Perkins have a hitch in his giddyup?  Parker not used to arenas with an upper deck?  Whatever the reason it's freaking spooky.....

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

That is spooky.  Spookier than our late freethrow shooting at Auburn.  Dead legs?  Jimerson have a snooty girlfriend?  Perkins have a hitch in his giddyup?  Parker not used to arenas with an upper deck?  Whatever the reason it's freaking spooky.....

Most teams are taking Jimerson's show away from him. Only open 3's have been in  on the break. To his credit he went backdoor last night for 5 bunnies. If they take something away do something else.    

Just now, willie said:

Most teams are taking Jimerson's show away from him. Only open 3's have been in  on the break. To his credit he went backdoor last night for 5 bunnies. If they take something away do something else.    

I agree but I thought we had enough shooters this year to work around taking away one of our guys.  

2 minutes ago, willie said:

It certainly would help if somebody else, ANYBODY else, would start hitting some threes. It looked like Javonte may be back on track after last night. Fingers crossed.

30 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I agree but I thought we had enough shooters this year to work around taking away one of our guys.  

We do have enough shooters, the issue is that the 2nd and 3rd are going through the process of discovering and rediscovering their D1 games. One looked like he took a big step in figuring that out last night and the other is hopefully not far behind.