2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But they were great right after the played us and ran off a 13 game winning streak?

"Right after" might be misleading, they played one top-100 net ranked team in their next 5 games and it was at home. One of the other four was against a non-D1 team, one against a top-200 net team at home, and another against a top-300 net team at home.  

Maybe it was the game against us that turned them into the team they became? The two teams certainly played much different schedules after that game. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You are giving Mizzou too much credit here with their schedule.  KenPom has their current non-conference SOS as 361st in the nation.  That's 3rd from the bottom as KenPom lists 363 teams.

I used https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other but I like KenPom's result better ;)

54 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Not fair. Rashad already had three years of proven success at the D1 level. Give Sincere time. 

Granted.....BUT........the three point shooting for both was freaking nerve-wracking!  Hopefully he'll find the range at some point and reel off 30 in a row...

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Granted.....BUT........the three point shooting for both was freaking nerve-wracking!  Hopefully he'll find the range at some point and reel off 30 on a row...

One difference is that every time Rashad shot the ball it was a HIGHLY questionable shot selection, and most never seemed to have a chance of going in. I'd say both of those are untrue of Sincere. I hope he proves me right real soon...like tomorrow soon. 

Billiken Rich likes this

23 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

One difference is that every time Rashad shot the ball it was a HIGHLY questionable shot selection, and most never seemed to have a chance of going in. I'd say both of those are untrue of Sincere. I hope he proves me right real soon...like tomorrow soon. 

Another difference is that, based on his season so far, Parker is a more well-rounded offensive player. Rashad's whole game was chucking up long distance threes. Sincere's three-point shooting is secondary to his ability to drive in the paint and his mid-range game.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but are we forcing TO's at a slower pace than last year?  If so, then I don't really see it being much of a positive than we cut down by 1 TO per game. 

Yes, but again I cry SOS. Memphis was an outlier last year as they committed 24 turnovers. If we ever win a turnover battle 24 to 14 and LOSE again it'll be the end of me. 

Last year through 7 games - 12.6 committed/18.6 forced

This year                               - 11.4 committed/8.6 forced (😱)

Not great but I imagine that'll increase dramatically quickly. If you take out the outlying Evansville game (6 forced, 12 committed) the numbers change to 11.3 committed/10.7 forced which is way better. 

So far this year Okoro is averaging twice as many turnovers...need to fix that quick but the cause is him not being comfortable in the high post with high defensive pressure. That was Martin Linssen's bread and butter but Forester isn't quite there yet. I think we'll see those two bigs playing very different roles when they're on the court separately. 

10 minutes ago, Compton said:

Another difference is that, based on his season so far, Parker is a more well-rounded offensive player. Rashad's whole game was chucking up long distance threes. Sincere's three-point shooting is secondary to his ability to drive in the paint and his mid-range game.

!!!!!

I'd only say that his three-point shooting is only secondary to those abilities so far. They'll grow closer to even when he finds his groove, at least they should. 

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I have the same issue with my buddies, most of whom I've been close to since 2016 - and the majority aren't even Mizzou fans. They all kind of want to be SLU fans, come to games with me, etc, but you're right it's hard to fully reel them in until we reach the next level. "Reaching the next level" is more of an optics thing, I truly think we're there - or at least banging our head on the glass ceiling.

each of us have probably said this a million times on this board over the years, but Taj, Bay Area Billiken and I became hardcore Billiken fans during the dark days of Ron Ekker.   as John Winger (Bill Murray) says in "Stripes", "There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us."

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

each of us have probably said this a million times on this board over the years, but Taj, Bay Area Billiken and I became hardcore Billiken fans during the dark days of Ron Ekker.   as John Winger (Bill Murray) says in "Stripes", "There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us."

I hope I can never relate to your pain in those years but I can assure you that if it comes to that I will stick it out. Being a Billiken basketball fan is a top 3 personality trait at this point. 

6 hours ago, dennis_w said:

i understand, i live near columbia and feel i need to have someone to root against when all around me are saying how good the tigers are, i am no fan of mizzou basketball, go billikens

admittedly i have character flaws and find myself watching mizzou basketball but only in the hopes that they take a horrible loss, forgive my transgressions

31 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Good Gravy........Another free ticket email offer........free seats in the 100's (116 is where I'll be tomorrow.)  I'm not complaining but this can't be super good......

Late tip again against a "meh" opponent. People will watch it on TV, but don't wanna be out that late on a weeknight.

If I had to pick an X factor for this team it’s probably Perkins but Thatch is right there.

Thatch does so many things right and is the only real “bully-ball” player we have.  He is an Aldi version of Goodwin - and that’s no disrespect to Fred because he’s developed into a terrific D1 player.

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Late tip again against a "meh" opponent. People will watch it on TV, but don't wanna be out that late on a weeknight.

I’ll be there but these 8 PM weekday starts suck.

The 5 AM alarm comes quick when you don’t get home until 10:30.

4 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Just watched the 1st half of Mizzou and they look pretty good.  

Also watching. Mizzou does look good, like they have thus far against no one. I really thought this would be a good test, but then I saw WSU lost to alcorn state by like 10

9 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

And the only game thus far that I feel bad about is Auburn.  Should've beaten them.  There are not many teams that would've beat Maryland on the night we lost to them.  Maybe Majerus could've come up with something but we were just overwhelmed. Your items about Perkins and Parker are the story here.  We thought we'd be raining threes down on opponents, leaving Okoro and Forrester room to work inside.  It obviously hasn't worked out that way especially with Parker doing his Rashad Williams impression.......

Too early to tell on Sincere ...he has only taken 12 three point shots so far. As for Rashad, he had a great freshman year at Clev St...and then...they moved the 3 pt line back and he was never the same.

Here is what his numbers look like from the arc....

Fr.........41% on 223 att...83rd ITN on 3PA/gm

Soph.......32% on 189 att...1st ITN on 3PA/gm

Jr................34% on 277 att......5th ITN on 3PA/gm

Sr(The Bills).....26% on 51 att

I always thought it was a curious signing as he was never the same once the line was pushed back.   He had 466 shots from the arc to try and regain his form before he became a Billiken.  The fact that he was not going to be taking 200+ shots /yr as a Bill  was another factor that would put downward pressure on his 3P% once he arrived here.

Once Sincere plays more his 3P numbers will go up.