2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I figured that’s who you meant. I think Parker is a more polished player than both of those guys and it’s not really close. 

Parker is a freak athlete who has the tools to defend, and we’ve seen the staff develop guys on the defensive end in the past. Honestly not looking into the defense comments too much. Travis said that he’s easily their best scorer and will play. 

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Thanks for sharing! In what world is THJ a 40% 3 point shooter? 

I'll be honest, until you commented and I looked it up, I thought he had finished somewhere near high 30s, and I was avg that with his 42% from the year prior. Still, that brings us to 38% so not like I'm way off here..

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'll be honest, until you commented and I looked it up, I thought he had finished somewhere near high 30s, and I was avg that with his 42% from the year prior. Still, that brings us to 38% so not like I'm way off here..

Last season he shot 34.8% on 92 attempts. That is a more predictive number than his small sample size 2 years ago. 

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Last season he shot 34.8% on 92 attempts. That is a more predictive number than his small sample size 2 years ago. 

And his sample size will likely be back down closer to what it was 2 years ago than last year due to minutes. But that doesn't change what was initially said in the post, that I think THJ plays more minutes than I initially thought he would going into the season.  I posted on a thread that I guessed somewhere around 8-10 min, and I'm starting to think it could be a little more. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

And his sample size will likely be back down closer to what it was 2 years ago than last year due to minutes. But that doesn't change what was initially said in the post, that I think THJ plays more minutes than I initially thought he would going into the season.  I posted on a thread that I guessed somewhere around 8-10 min, and I'm starting to think it could be a little more. 

I agree. THJ is a great piece, especially off the bench. 

2 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Parker is a freak athlete who has the tools to defend, and we’ve seen the staff develop guys on the defensive end in the past. Honestly not looking into the defense comments too much. Travis said that he’s easily their best scorer and will play. 

hard 2 believe on a team with 2 of our best scorers in modern era already here.

14 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Wow.  That was a great breakdown.  This guy did his homework and added nice analysis.

billikenbill and bauman like this

8 hours ago, Compton said:

When did he say that?

Thursday at A-10 media day. 

Travis comes on around 14:40 and is interviewed for about 20 mins.

I lifted this off the Atlantic 10 fan forum.  It's not my work, but interesting recap for those who don't want to watch the entire video.

Watched most of the coaching interviews. Frank Martin was typical must-see TV. I wouldnt say any of the interviews uncovered breaking news or stuff we didnt already know.

- Archie said the RI/Kingston area was nicer and more recruitable than what he previously knew based on visiting and not living there. He also said his career coaching free throw defense is the worst of any active coach in America - no coach faces better FT shooting. Goodman backed up the stat.

- Rhoades said VCU needs to cut down on turnovers this year.

- Ford thinks Yuri is best PG in America but was sweating it when he went into transfer portal. Thatch probably doesnt start but is a starter.

- Grant likes the chemistry and compared the "get along" to 2019-20. Doesnt put any stock in preseason polls.

- Dunphy felt an obligation to his alma mater LaSalle. Sounds like its a short-term deal for him to get that program on some footing and then hand the keys over.

- Dambrot said his business background forced him to self-evaluate the product and realize what they had wasnt working and needed new pieces from the portal.

- Martin believes the hunger is still there in Amherst for a quality product. Said bringing Kellogg back was about everybody putting aside egos.

- Mooney and Schmidt talked together busting chops. Mooney said one time there was a shot clock error in Olean and he yelled at the clock operator. Schmidt said he'd just yelled at the Olean mailman of 35yrs which was not a smart move. Mooney said he's never gotten a friendly clock in O-Town since.

- McKillop said not sure where his old man is gonna sit in the stands this year. Loyer is a guy who looks like the waterboy but there was a reason Izzo liked him. Very efficient and critical to the team this year.

- GWs coach said its a great town and talent pool area to recruit from. Pockets of excellence at GW MBB but been inconsistent over the years. Wants to bring consistency and sell the GW education and tentacles it provides kids to the connections in DC.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I lifted this off the Atlantic 10 fan forum.  It's not my work, but interesting recap for those who don't want to watch the entire video.

Watched most of the coaching interviews. Frank Martin was typical must-see TV. I wouldnt say any of the interviews uncovered breaking news or stuff we didnt already know.

- Archie said the RI/Kingston area was nicer and more recruitable than what he previously knew based on visiting and not living there. He also said his career coaching free throw defense is the worst of any active coach in America - no coach faces better FT shooting. Goodman backed up the stat.

- Rhoades said VCU needs to cut down on turnovers this year.

- Ford thinks Yuri is best PG in America but was sweating it when he went into transfer portal. Thatch probably doesnt start but is a starter.

- Grant likes the chemistry and compared the "get along" to 2019-20. Doesnt put any stock in preseason polls.

- Dunphy felt an obligation to his alma mater LaSalle. Sounds like its a short-term deal for him to get that program on some footing and then hand the keys over.

- Dambrot said his business background forced him to self-evaluate the product and realize what they had wasnt working and needed new pieces from the portal.

- Martin believes the hunger is still there in Amherst for a quality product. Said bringing Kellogg back was about everybody putting aside egos.

- Mooney and Schmidt talked together busting chops. Mooney said one time there was a shot clock error in Olean and he yelled at the clock operator. Schmidt said he'd just yelled at the Olean mailman of 35yrs which was not a smart move. Mooney said he's never gotten a friendly clock in O-Town since.

- McKillop said not sure where his old man is gonna sit in the stands this year. Loyer is a guy who looks like the waterboy but there was a reason Izzo liked him. Very efficient and critical to the team this year.

- GWs coach said its a great town and talent pool area to recruit from. Pockets of excellence at GW MBB but been inconsistent over the years. Wants to bring consistency and sell the GW education and tentacles it provides kids to the connections in DC.

Sounds like coach speak super BS spreader🤓

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

I like the term "coach speak super BS spreader."

it's getting old, guy. y in the world would a coach say anything but the singular or in this case plural :)

Too much coverage, 2day's MLB playoff game guy hits 3 run HR, i rewind 2 watch & by the time i was back live that idiot with the bow tie is interviewing the hitter in the dugout !:).  i really enjoy the D1 soccer on the + just simple public access beats all the fluff BS. 

The topic of NCAA Tournament Expansion was brought up somewhere, and I could not fine it, so I will bring it up here. I really agree with the expansion. It feels like teams at our level are getting unnecessarily limited. I also think it will add more viewers to the Tournament, as smaller conference fans will be more invested in their teams. More overall interest, and ultimately more money.

That said, how many Tournaments would Travis have made if 96 Teams were let in, 3 or 4? I think that is about where he would be if he coached SLU at the same level in the 1990’s. Too bad we cannot make it retroactive!

almaman likes this

18 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The topic of NCAA Tournament Expansion was brought up somewhere, and I could not fine it, so I will bring it up here. I really agree with the expansion. It feels like teams at our level are getting unnecessarily limited. I also think it will add more viewers to the Tournament, as smaller conference fans will be more invested in their teams. More overall interest, and ultimately more money.

That said, how many Tournaments would Travis have made if 96 Teams were let in, 3 or 4? I think that is about where he would be if he coached SLU at the same level in the 1990’s. Too bad we cannot make it retroactive!

I am a big believer of expanding the tourney.   i personally would go to 256 teams and eliminate the conference tourney.   totally regionalize the teams and play the first two rounds within the regions.   then reseed the 64 teams left in the tourney.   this would come as close to possible to giving us the true best 64 teams in the nation.  

afraid of too many good teams getting upset?  well if the number one overall seed loses to the 256th seed, were they really the best team in the country?   this would would also eliminate likely all the big conference pretenders with 500 records getting to the round of 64 just because they play in the big conferences. 

that all said, imo with this NLI bs the likelihood is things will go the other way, splitting D1 into at least two levels of D1 no way for the most part the mid majors and below will be able to compete for talent.